Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

bright_ephemera
01.18.2013 , 11:01 AM | #2571
The Story So Far: My (excessive) story catalogue falls into three separate major universes.

I will include links to relevant individual stories; I'll mark the ones that are on standalone threads with an asterisk *. Anything without an asterisk was published on the SFC.

Nalenne, Niselle, Rho, Nic, and Dahlia reside in the silly universe of There Is No Death, There Is Only Wrath, or NDOW for short. The original standalone run is here* while assorted pre-and post-timeline chronicles are over here*. Nalenne and Niselle are twin sisters, a Dark Side Warrior and a Dark Side Inquisitor who aren't on very good terms. This summary includes spoilers for the Sith Warrior line.

Spoiler

The Chronicles timeline continuation summary adds spoilers for the Jedi Knight line. It is relevant to only a couple of very recent SFC posts.
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

iamthehoyden
01.18.2013 , 12:08 PM | #2572
The Story So Far
All of my characters (except Ukaita who lives in the AU thread) live in the same universe. There are obvious issues when it comes to the game story timelines of different classes being played by multiple generations which I blithely ignore and continue on my way. (By the way, once I started writing down these story arcs I came to the conclusion that I've written a ridiculous amount here and really should stop...after Jese and Felix figure out their stuff...and Fionnai grows up...and Sana quits making snarky remarks...and aw who am I kidding?) On we go!

Starting with my matriarch:
Major Sana Kaarde
spoilers for Ord Mantell trooper
Spoiler

Esma Kaarde
spoilers for Act 2-3 jk and a teensy bit of Tython jk
Spoiler

Skari Magrave
spoilers for end act 1 bh
Spoiler

Solomon Crae
spoilers for My Name is Solomon Crae
Spoiler

Fionnai Crae
Spoiler

Jese Kaarde
JC spoilers & spoilers for The Man in the Box
Spoiler

And that's the story so far! *looks up* dear lord *faints*
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Striges
01.18.2013 , 01:04 PM | #2573
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Mr. Editor redesigned his schedule without alerting Ms. Dorne, resulting in quite the problematic schedule conflict.
My mental image was closer to a DJ at an old-style radio station, when they actually picked and controlled the music. Puts on a long song, goes to the bathroom, leaving the control booth unattended. Then hears over the speaker system the late-night janitor has taken over the broadcast. Rushes back--but it’s too late.

Great prompt, Bright. I imagine the size of this thread (even with the indices) would be pretty daunting for someone just discovering it. Excellent for getting new readers up to speed and as quick review for established readers. Thank you!

irishfino
01.18.2013 , 01:52 PM | #2574
The Story So Far – NSP - Featuring Sith!Quinn in all his unholy glory

I am not “unholy,” madam.
Narrate our adventure, you evil creature!
I’ll narrate your face.
That didn’t make any sense.
…our journey began after a thoroughly brutal beating that most Warriors wish they had the ability to unleash upon the man known as Malavai Quinn. It departs severely from canon after this.

Spoiler

I’m still around, though, right?
Sort of.
So much hate.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

Isoviel
01.18.2013 , 02:10 PM | #2575
Ok I don't really have a set universe, or at least one that is just beginning. So I decided to give a look at each of the backstories of the characters I'm going to write about in the future.
Prompt: The Story So Far
No spoilers

Ennaly:
Spoiler

Ensinlli:
Spoiler

Etonya:
Spoiler

Perrina:
Spoiler

Tatile
01.18.2013 , 02:24 PM | #2576
I'm trying to make a chronology with dates, but I don't what year the game is set in Pointers?

bright_ephemera
01.18.2013 , 04:23 PM | #2577
Eee, loving the intros and recaps!

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
I'm trying to make a chronology with dates, but I don't what year the game is set in Pointers?
The game chronology is...tricky and interesting, not to say inconsistent and nonsensical. According to the Star Wars Encylopedia (physical book) the Treaty of Coruscant was signed in 3653 BBY (0 ATC), and the game starts in 3640 BBY (13 ATC) (page 7). They say the war breaks out again (players' act 2-3 break) circa 3640...that's their official word for the outbreak of the war: "13, ish." (page 19)

I seem to recall early in-game quests putting the end of the war at "ten years ago." The only specific source I can name is Quinn saying the Battle of Druckenwell took place ten years prior to the SW conversation. Quinn doesn't strike me as the type to round down, but we can still doubt his reliability. I do, every day. If we say that battle happened right before the Treaty, then the game starts in 3643 BBY (10 ATC) and Acts 1 and 2 (including breaks) consume three-ish years.

But wait, there's more, and the Star Wars Encyclopedia might be living up to its unofficial title, "The Book of Lies"!

kabeone dug up an interview with author Drew Karpyshyn on the subject, the upshot of which is "The encyclopedia's start-game date is probably wrong, fans have noted that 3643 (10 ATC) is more consistently presented as a start date, but Drew neither closely tracks nor is responsible for these inconsistencies":

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Striges
01.18.2013 , 04:24 PM | #2578
The main concrete date I can find is 3,653 BBY (Before the Battle of Yavin aka Original Star Wars movie, episode 4) or Year 0 ATC (After the Treat of Coruscant) for the Treaty of Coruscant. The Cold War followed, an 11-year period (or possibly 10, depending on source). My understanding is the class stories start at the close of the cold war, or 3643 BBY/10 ATC.

Hopefully Helpful Links:

Events of 3,653 BBY/0ATC
Events of 3,643 BBY/10ATC
Galactic Timeline: Videos produced for SWTOR as game background.
Galactic History: probably a prettier version of the above link. These are the videos as released from Bioware.
Galactic Standard Calendar with general calendar information, lots of links to specific pages on events, and probably more stuff than you really wanted to know.

Wookiepedia is a general Star Wars Wiki, consolidating info from all Star Wars sources (movies, games, comics, books, everything) but you could also consult The Old Republic Wiki which is game-specific.

Hope this helps!

bright_ephemera
01.18.2013 , 04:29 PM | #2579
I apologize in advance for the length (~2000 words) of this "synopsis." The extensive universe of Ruth Means Compassion (RMC) has a core gathered in this downloadable PDF* but has a number of minor additions on the SFC and elsewhere. It's centered on Sith Warrior Ruth Niral with regular appearances from Imperial Agent Wynston and late-timeline contributions from Jedi Knight Larr Gith. To date it spans a little over fifty years. This summary contains spoilers for the Sith Warrior line and the Imperial Agent line; it does not describe RMC's ending except in the last section. The RMC standalone thread-and-PDF also has spoilers for the Jedi Knight line.

Pre-game and prior to the central narrative of RMC (no spoilers):
Spoiler

Game and timeline 1 of RMC, corresponding roughly to Ruth's dictionary definition "pity or compassion":
Spoiler

Post-game and the remainder of timeline 2 of RMC, corresponding roughly to Ruth's secondary dictionary definition "sorrow or grief":
Spoiler

Post-game timelines 2.5 and 3 of RMC, corresponding roughly to Ruth's tertiary dictionary definition "contrition or remorse" (this was not actually planned in advance, I was aware only of definition #1 when I created Ruth):
Spoiler

Don't Call them Ruth-Less picks up where RMC left off and its dedicated thread, along with this summary, uses detailed spoilers all over RMC's endgame. Pretty much everything in this timeline is humor rather than drama.
Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Tatile
01.18.2013 , 04:30 PM | #2580
So... if I use my zero as ATC 13, I should be able to work from there. Thanks guys (all the stuff with different date systems was confusing me.)