Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

thatghost
12.02.2012 , 05:34 PM | #2331
@EverSteam: "I spend the rest of the day force choking a pillow with a photo of his face stuck to it" *cackles insanely* Funny? No way, that's vast understatement- it's hilarious

@Hoyden: Crae is unfamiliar to me but his inner conflict is pretty clear. My curiosity has been piqued, about him and Skari and their relationship- let the thread-mining commence!

Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Everyone seems to have trouble with Doc - what's his attraction? Why is that guy a romance option?
To both questions- I'm not sure. He would have made a terrific Smuggler LI, someone to raise Corso's hackles, but JK...meh.
Quote:
Nice short Ghost, Doc has at least one redeeming feature, it seems: foot massages
Thank you, Tatile make that two redeeming features: foot massages and kolto.

iamthehoyden
12.02.2012 , 06:41 PM | #2332
Scourge nom nom nom!

And if you haven't seen it, thatghost, Bright's index of stories is really really nice for getting caught up stories. It's on the first page of the thread.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

bright_ephemera
12.02.2012 , 08:06 PM | #2333
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
And if you haven't seen it, thatghost, Bright's index of stories is really really nice for getting caught up stories. It's on the first page of the thread.
The index by character is also linked in my signature.

Tatile, Doc is a funny, funny guy with a funny con-man attitude and a hilariously overdone way of trying to schmooze on women. He's lively, sociable, showy, upbeat, fully capable of enjoying the good life and the trappings of glory and fame. At the same time, this 'seemingly shallow' man plays a fine Robin Hood, running around the poorer areas of the galaxy, tricking the rich and redistributing things to the poor. When the crisis hits he shows as a true humanitarian, helping out the sick and wounded without regard for race, nationality, credits, or politics.

He's also a flaky insincere scumbag selfish egomaniac who gets off on helping once, looking good, gathering all the gratitude he can manage with two hands and the nearest available flat surface, then haring off to arrange trouble (that he can then heroically solve) elsewhere. Oh, also he "reforms and settles down" if you love him enough.

thatghost, that poor Twi'lek dancer...and poor Rusk!

@Striges Still breathing here. Thus far nothing I've produced has elicited lightning from the gods of Star Wars, which more strongly backs the statement "There is no Star Wars god" than "I haven't displeased any such god there may be."

@Eversteam Force choking a Quinn-face pillow. I...this is...where has this stress-relief thing been all Nalenne's life? And Ruth's. And all my other Warriors'. Screamingly funny!

@iamthehoyden I like Crae's language. "Wanting to fix it, somehow, someway." It's good.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

LogicLoup
12.02.2012 , 08:59 PM | #2334
@irishfino - I'm intrigued. As nice as it is to see Ald and the crew being a (mostly) functional family, the whole thing seems just a little... weird. Vette, Pierce, and Quinn as an effective combat team? Vette being civil to Quinn? Quinn not just noticing but actively pleased by Vette's happiness? What is this strangely endearing sorcery?

@hoyden - Throwing a friendly match that he knows the competition probably can't afford to lose? Aric is good people. Doing so by scratching on the eight? Best. Shark. Ever.

I almost, almost feel sorry for Crae. It can't be easy transitioning into humanity from the snake he's believed himself to be.

@EverSteam - The total straight-faced gravitas with which Quinn treats the enemy... err, toilet, is brilliant. I especially liked his tactical assessment of the other crew members' competence in dealing with the problem.

@thatghost -
Quote: Originally Posted by thatghost View Post
A late-middle-aged couple in the far corner was being discreet about their staring but staring they were...the man's eyes resembled black holes, spooky-familiar...but the lighting in this dive...
I spy, with my little eye, someone I think might be Vector? I don't know that I would have classified him as "late-middle-aged", though.

But just... oh, Doc... I can't help but feel for him in the midst of the raw deal he's being handed here. Bad enough to know your spouse is looking elsewhere, but then to be treated as an unpleasant chore? Being mindtricked into just meekly wandering off with no promise of later discussion - without even the memory of a presence that would make that discussion necessary? That's just cold. I think I kind of want to slug Mirrigan.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Striges
12.02.2012 , 10:37 PM | #2335
Zombie Prompt: What If?

Character: Varrel Umrahiel (Sith Warrior)

These two stories never really crystallized in time for the original “What If?” prompt. Varrel has had several opportunities to follow a more light sided path. He chose the more obviously survivable path instead. Each dark side choice made the next one so much easier.

Valho is Varrel’s son from his first marriage to Reka. This incident (had it happened this way) predates the class stories. No spoilers, 350 words.

Spoiler

Different Varrel What If? Spoilers for Sith Warrior Tatooine. The episode comes direct from part of the SW Tatooine series, but I haven’t consciously used any of the original dialogue. Apologies for length, 1000 words.

Spoiler

Magdalane
12.03.2012 , 09:33 AM | #2336
I've enjoyed all the stories, and when I get a free block of time where I can think, I will respond individually. In the meantime, I'm going to put in a chapter from a previous story. Some of you have already read this and I apologize in advance for that.

Miriah and Corso, Aric and Maura, and Sarai Chantalle (Miriah, Maura, and Magdalane's mother)

Spoiler

Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

iamthehoyden
12.03.2012 , 09:59 AM | #2337
Quote: Originally Posted by Magdalane View Post
I'm sitting in an airport, in another country, waiting to meet the medevac flight with my son on board, so while I'd love to write a short for this week prompts, my thoughts are not jelling well.
Spoiler
Oh no! I'm so sorry, Mag I hope everything goes well with his recovery; you and your family will be much in my thoughts. So sorry. I hope the stories, both read and written help take your mind off things, but don't worry one iota about posting or responding unless you want to, you have a lot to deal with right now. (Miriah and Corso are, as always, adorable together.)
---------------

kabeone
12.03.2012 , 01:24 PM | #2338
Catching up on commenting. If I missed anyone I read it all and loved it

@Hoyden Sana and Aric! I love them together and I totally dig Aric scanning the crowd to stop potential trouble for his lady especially when Sana is perfectly capable of handling trouble herself. Cathar deathglare. Rawr.

Crae in love? <3 swoon. I'm sure that will be a very creepy/angry dynamic, I wonder what will Skari say.

@EverSteam if I haven't said welcome (I apologize) and welcome! I do love your Sith Warrior's "game" with Quinn. A vague set of rules and goals but both know which of them wins each battle without words.

Quote:
We stand in silence which makes Quinn and Pierce feel uncomfortable as our bodies all touch someone else's in places they'd rather not. Which for those two, is just about anywhere.
hahahaha.

@thatghost I love Doc in a very platonic 'stop skeezing on me' way but him as an LI? Ew. Your Scourge / Mirrigan relationship is delightful, and I too felt sorry for the dancer.

Quote:
It felt like a million suns burning out, bleak yet magnificent, heated past comprehension.
hooooo.

@Striges The first scene made me cheer despite Varrel falling. The rich history of the Salle de Umrahiel, so much detail so much awesome.

That scene in the oasis... breathtaking. I read the second half with my mouth open it was so amazing. Argh! I love your AU's as much as your canon universe. (I want more! but I always want more.)

@Magdalane My thoughts are with you and your son. I'm glad he'll be home with you, I hope he'll be alright. While I did read the tequila scene before, it was just as good a second time around. I do <3 anything with Miriah.

thatghost
12.03.2012 , 02:04 PM | #2339
@Hoyden: I hear you on the nomming (obviously)

@LogicLoup: You might spy correctly in the context of legacy+this tale he and the IA have to be a bit older than in the IA storyline. But you're right about the "late" part, and it's been edited to "middle-aged" in this thread and the story thread; I did a recalculation and the result doesn't mess with head canon. In any case, I think it's safe to assume that Vector ages very well. It's wonderful that you want to slug Mirrigan- so do I!

@Bright: That was a genius summation of Doc
Quote:
that poor Twi'lek dancer...and poor Rusk!
In the end they both fared better than anyone else involved...Rusk did finally get to enjoy his nerf milk and, unwritten but imagined, the dancer was showered with credits by that lot of troopers

@Hoyden and Bright: Thanks for the index and sig mentions- I promise I'll embrace logic and banish laziness...someday

@Striges: Both stories are stunning. This- "Hidden water on a dry planet. Hidden knowledge in a dark world."- beautiful imagery evoked. Other than those two words, 'stunning' and 'beautiful'...speechless

@Magdalane: *hugs* and more hugs anytime you need them. Hopes, thoughts and prayers for you, your son and your family. It really is, like you said, all that matters right now- that he'll be home and recovering. I hadn't read the chapter (nor the story itself) before and I love it- not a Corso fan, or at least I wasn't...now I'm a Corso and Miriah fan. I'm glad you posted it- and I'd love to have a girls' night out with Mariah!

@kabeone: I stalk your art; that picture of Aiden on page 1 of the thread? You definitely accomplished "good-looking"...oh, uck, sorry about the drool. Thank you for the comment (see above about the fate of the dancer); I already told Earthmama elsewhere that she made my day but you just made it even better (and I did take the Doc romance arc with my JK because his transformation from sleazebag ew to kinda-sweet-sleazebag ew made me giggle in an...ummm...ewwwwww way)

Oooh I'm catching up with the @'s! Now I just have to work on my excessive use of smilies...

iamthehoyden
12.03.2012 , 02:42 PM | #2340
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
Zombie Prompt: What If?

Character: Varrel Umrahiel (Sith Warrior)
Spoiler
This gave me chills when I read it. It gave me chills the second time I read it, I think because of his faith in his father when, in your canon universe, that man becomes something so very very different.
Quote:
Different Varrel What If? Spoilers for Sith Warrior Tatooine. The episode comes direct from part of the SW Tatooine series, but I haven’t consciously used any of the original dialogue. Apologies for length, 1000 words.

Spoiler
This is beautiful. So rich and deep and just gorgeous.
---------------