Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Striges
11.21.2012 , 12:42 AM | #2221
Bah, double posting again.

Prompt: Restraint

Character: Rixik

Rixik is practically the poster child for all of the seven deadly sins. To write a virtue for him though…more of a challenge.

No real spoilers. I did base the events on a Nar Shaddaa quest, but it’s not mentioned, nor the names of any of the NPCs involved. Barely over 550 words.

Predates Too Close For Comfort but not by much. One crap hyperdrive, minor cashflow problems…

Spoiler

Soteirian
11.21.2012 , 03:07 AM | #2222
Only bright can turn lust into comedy. LOL

Tatile
11.21.2012 , 06:09 AM | #2223
Striges - that poor boy, meeting Rixik must be terrifying at the best of times, let alone when he's actually armed. Also, pissing yourself in fear? Good writing I feel there's too much emphasis on everyone being brave in the face of dread and fates-worse-than-death.

Bright - a very nice, human look into what the everyday life of a resistance fighter is like, especially with the varying personalities and different personal priorities (one of the best ways to oppress people is to make their personal lives such a struggle that they spend every day surviving rather than fighting their oppressors).

bright_ephemera
11.21.2012 , 07:11 AM | #2224
Striges, thanks! I wonder sometimes how many citizens make space travel a regular thing. Not to call the Ridgeside crew provincial, but they were one-planet people, and leaping to Coruscant and beyond would be a huge change. Personally, while I am passionately in favor of space travel, I would miss my familiar constellations. I think if I transitioned into a galaxy-spanning civilization I would take up anthropology and just fly around learning the myths and legends of everybody's view of the stars.

SIS. What beautiful failures you are. Not even Rixik can turn you into profit sometimes. Furthermore I loved the "Just a Twi'lek" line. They are so consistently presented as slave/sex status creatures and nothing more; I shouldn't have been surprised that some would internalize that as "Twi'leks are nonthreatening."

Soteirian, I'm flattered! Now...um, it's not like my previous exposure to slash involving that man - Quinn, that is - is indelibly seared into my brain, but the original master of comedic slash in these forums, not least in that he tricked me into reading it through a long and entertaining history of things that weren't slash and then BAM what is this I don't even, was the Doozzer. The love that Wynston will personally place a blaster bolt between the eyes of if it tries to say its name was far from unprecedented.

You all may be happy to know that Pierce Junior totally bagged that Sith Lord he went to so much effort to ambush...I mean, arrange a chance meeting with...on Korriban. Better yet (so far as interplanetary political stability goes), Rylon got his diplomatic job done without interference because Junior was too busy to wreck anything. I should get Junior a regular boyfriend or something because I really need to write some normal gay relationships; I don't mean for every same-sex pairing in my universes to be unwilling punchlines. Just Quinn/Wyn. And Nalenne/Jaesa. And Rho/Scourge over in Nalenne's Chronicles. The humor isn't meant to be in homophobia so much as in the Jedi cluelessness and the continuing simmering hatred between two men who have way too much in common.

Kabe's Digital Drawings thread over in the fan art forum features evil things now, and Wynston is crying into his pillow because of it. CRYING. The rage kind, not the longing kind.

The Vierce piece was challenging and I think I still failed to properly incorporate a detail or two - for instance, Dep the cad and Illyris the girl he was pushing did end up on good terms. But I liked tracing this out, especially since the sevenfold prompt immediately called to my hazy impressions of some of these characters and helped draw their behavior out.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Tatile
11.21.2012 , 07:32 AM | #2225
Sins - Wrath
Virtues - Forgiveness

Spoiler

Author's Note:
Spoiler

bright_ephemera
11.21.2012 , 08:03 AM | #2226
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Sins - Wrath
Virtues - Forgiveness

Author's Note:
Spoiler
Hell of a problem, isn't it? The desire to self-regulate is a nonsensical quality in a Sith, whereas it's a requirement for minimum non-sociopath status by our standards. That "Why were you horrified by that?" "Why weren't you?" interplay captures the dynamic perfectly.

I so very much love and sympathize with that desire to grab Rochester and shake him. It's the opposite of constructive under the circumstances, but when the other person is spouting completely false claims about what they do and don't deserve the temptation can still arise.

I can't help but notice that Rochester didn't agree to Broan's terms, he just moved on to asking if the relationship could work.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads

bright_ephemera
11.21.2012 , 09:01 AM | #2227
In the interest of spamming posts, I wanted to lay out the chronology of all published stories relating to Vierce's seven-year stretch there:

4 BTC, Teachers and Heroes, Rizz starts training the crew
1 ATC, Pride with Rizz
2 ATC, Faith/Wisdom with Vrenda/Totten
3 ATC, Lust/Wrath with Dep/Vierce
4 ATC, Envy/Greed with Eddy/Vrenda
5 ATC, Gluttony in memory of Lydian
5 ATC, Disguises, Illyris screws with Vierce
5 ATC, Sloth/Courage with Totten/Illyris
6 ATC, (Bad) Memories, Illyris is captured, Vierce's face is torn up
6 ATC, Wrath/Justice/Restraint with Vierce/Rizz
7 ATC, Turning Points, the Imps move out and the Republic opens recruiting
7 ATC, Charity/Hope with Dep/Eddy
11 ATC, game story starts

Plus some general Kirsk reminiscence in (Good) Memories.
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Magdalane
11.21.2012 , 10:07 AM | #2228
Woot! A day off to get caught up!

@ irishinfo, loved the drabbles

@ Svien, you captured Corso's nature very well

@ thatghost, lovely imagery in your piece!

@ Striges, oh my so many good pieces! Loved the Kirya one, you can see her struggles with Rixik, and the Rixik piece? Very intense. Really like that Jurial questions himself and the Order.

@ Iamthehoyden, loving the progression of the Skari/Crae story, you write it so well that I'm trying to figure out who might play Crae in the movie version.

@ bright_ephemera, there are no words to describe how much I enjoyed the Quinn/Wyn story, and I loved the Vierce timeline even more. Vierce, like I've said before, seems like someone I know, and I just thoroughly enjoy getting to know him further.

@ Tatile, so wonderful to see your guys at least attempting to reconcile. That's never easy, but at least they're talking now. Very poignant!

This piece directly follows the last one with Mags/Miriah, and encompasses several sins and virtues on both parts.
Miriah and Corso
Timeline: a week after Miriah had breakfast with her sister. No spoilers, ~ 1k words.

Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

bright_ephemera
11.21.2012 , 12:22 PM | #2229
Scared Miriah is the saddest kind!

I, uh, I just wanted a Lust and Total Absence of Restraint followup for the Aegis community, or at least a part of the staff we rarely see, in Ruth-Less. 900 words, no game spoilers.

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads

Tatile
11.21.2012 , 12:57 PM | #2230
Absolutely brilliant, Bright. Quinn and Wynston are never going to live that one down, are they?

I would also like a complete transcript, by the way.

Magdalane, Miriah's last line was so sad. There's a lot of self-loathing in there.