Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

irishfino
11.02.2012 , 11:13 AM | #2011
Prompt: Loneliness
Character: Aldrdinar, the Silly Sith Warrior

Abandoned to Hope

Spoiler

Notes:

Spoiler
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

iamthehoyden
11.02.2012 , 11:17 AM | #2012
I like Ald a lot! Interesting character!
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

irishfino
11.02.2012 , 12:17 PM | #2013
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
I like Ald a lot! Interesting character!
Thank you! Ald has always had a place in my heart as my first character and my only fifty. Oddly enough, he's never had much story to him before this thread... seems to be the way it happens with me, lol.
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

Tatile
11.02.2012 , 02:13 PM | #2014
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
Thank you! Ald has always had a place in my heart as my first character and my only fifty. Oddly enough, he's never had much story to him before this thread... seems to be the way it happens with me, lol.
Do more Ald, please.

bright_ephemera
11.02.2012 , 03:18 PM | #2015
A widely varying batch of Loneliness/Solitude shorts. I think I'll put the less goofy ones first.

Wynston, 430 words, no spoilers:
Spoiler

Colran Niral and Dolarra Reyne-Niral, 330 words, no spoilers:
Spoiler

Wynston talking to Quinn in the Don't Call Them Ruth-less section of the timeline, because silly is fun; 250 words, no spoilers except what's implicit about the endstate of Ruth Means Compassion:
Spoiler

And Nalenne in her Chronicles days, 300 words, no spoilers except for the existence of a military unit discussed elsewhere in the Chronicles:
Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
11.02.2012 , 03:22 PM | #2016
Durr, also I'm commenting.

(Trooper Tatooine spoilers)

Quote: Originally Posted by imnotawitch View Post
Aww, Bright. This breaks my heart especially because

Spoiler
I did not know that!
Spoiler

@iamthehoyden Lokin + Crae = I hope they kill each other before they find something of mutual advantage to each other. Because boy, I don't want to see them on the same team.

@irishfino Vette hugs <3
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Magdalane
11.02.2012 , 06:00 PM | #2017
I am posting on the run, but have read and enjoyed everything! Will comment individually tomorrow when I get off work

Lonliness
Miriah and Corso, ~ 430 words, no spoilers

Spoiler
Love is the strongest magic of them all.

Tatile
11.02.2012 , 06:27 PM | #2018
Magdalane, that's so sweet <3

LogicLoup
11.02.2012 , 07:32 PM | #2019
@Tatile - As painful as I know the process will have to be, I look forward to seeing how Broan & Rochester's situation resolves. Rochester's half of this pieces is especially poignant, putting away his personal things but aware of the pain of the uniform/job through it all.

@bright - Vierce's disgust at Fuse is an almost tangible thing here. I get the feeling Vierce would almost prefer a willful traitor to a gutless follower who can't see past the end of his own nose, which... yeah. Can't really say I blame him.

@hoyden - Solomon continues to be wonderfully snakey and cunning. I love that he not just accepts but approves of Skari's distrust of him.

@irish - Vette hugs are the best. I'm curious to see how Ald evolved from the Brute of the Jungle to the Silly Sith.

@Magdalane - I know that feel, Miriah. The image of her wearing one of Corso's shirts is lovely.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Striges
11.02.2012 , 07:58 PM | #2020
Been kind of posting and running recently, so monster comments and replies incoming:

Quote: Originally Posted by LogicLoup View Post
@Striges - Varrel's protection of Vette here, her spiritual well-being as well as physical, reminds me of his realization that she is his Fool back in Only Men Dance. As much as he wants her to stay Vette for her own sake, he needs her as she is to keep him grounded and human. The closing image of Varrel putting away his swords and his decency for safekeeping is beautifully "happy for deep people."
Varrel’s relationship with Vette is complicated, but you hit the essence of it on the head. When he met her, he’d been a widower for no more than a year (see Ceremonies). Between that, still wanting to be a decent person, and sifting through Sith political games, he wasn’t ready or even looking for a romantic relationship at that time. He’s very fond of Vette, the way he might love a favorite niece or granddaughter. He admires her strength of character; she kept her values through all the lousy things that happened to her, while he lost his. In his mind, doing good things for Vette makes up for all the awful things he does to other people.

He also regards the members of his crew as vassals, so he feels a responsibility toward them in that sense as well. It was not Vette’s duty to take care of the Hutt, it was his. A duty that, for a change, he had no qualms about doing. I’d intended that Vette wasn’t aware of where he’d gone, and he had no intention of telling her. I don’t know that I conveyed that well. Upon rereading, it’s ambiguous, and I think it works either way.

He probably would have been happier with Vette (than Jaesa) but he didn’t meet her at the right time in his life, and barring interesting biology, they can’t have children. And he might have been happy with that limitation, too, had Jaesa not reminded him of it. People don’t always make the decisions that bring them the most happiness.

Enough about my characters

@ LogicLoup: Maneera’s story, the metaphor with the flutterplumes, very well done. I loved your descriptions of Maneera and her reactions. All points and sharp edges. Heartbreaking, but very well done.

@ Bright: I always enjoy Vierce, both as a trooper and his backstory. The sillier bits (!Nerf tail!) to me come across as memories, even when they’re written as present tense. As though he’s recalling happier times despite the backdrop of Imperial occupation.

@ Iamthehoyden: Crae is fascinating. You show his worldview, as a predator among prey, very well and believably. Crae meeting Lokin, though…they’d either collaborate or destroy each other. Possibly both. Simultaneously.

@ irishfino: Aldrdinar has quite the journey from this short to where he is now. It will be fun to follow him.

@ Tatile: Poor both Rochester and Broan. Their relationship has been so wonderful, I hate to see it come apart. Despite the ample foreshadowing, it still hurts.

@ Magdalane: Touching. Miriah wanting to be alone, then realizing that’s not what she wants anymore.