Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

LogicLoup
10.31.2012 , 06:20 AM | #1971
Quote: Originally Posted by Tatile View Post
Quinn has a wonderful love/hate relationship, doesn't he?

Nice to see that the majority of the shorts have female protagonists - good thing I don't hang out in many feminist circles, though, I'd probably be pegged as a gender traitor for writing about my boys so much

I fail the Bechdel Test every time. Oh well~
Sex and the City passes the Bechdel Test, so I have grave doubts about its ability to sort for either narrative quality or feminist merit.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Tatile
10.31.2012 , 06:30 AM | #1972
Quote: Originally Posted by LogicLoup View Post
Sex and the City passes the Bechdel Test, so I have grave doubts about its ability to sort for either narrative quality or feminist merit.
I think it's better for the writer to use it to question the reasons behind why their characters interact, rather than to quantify the merit of their interaction from the view of the audience. If you're using it to go "these two ladies only ever talk about men and are the only two ladies in this film and therefore it's bad" you're going to end up awfully disappointed.

Striges
10.31.2012 , 08:12 AM | #1973
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
(loads of cool statistics)
This makes me want to roll a male Jedi consular, just to be contrary. I do have a concept in mind....

Nice to see that the majority of the shorts have female protagonists - good thing I don't hang out in many feminist circles, though, I'd probably be pegged as a gender traitor for writing about my boys so much
I think the important thing is to make interesting characters, regardless of gender. Your boys pass that test with flying colors.

bright_ephemera
10.31.2012 , 08:12 AM | #1974
Incidentally, there must be a data entry error in my story records, because Excel is listing the possible values in the "protagonist gender" column as Male, Female, Both, and Jorgan.

...Not really sure what's going on there.

(edit: corrected the companion chart, which had erroneously excluded Blizz (6 features) and Skadge (2 features).)

(Edit edit: Added some detailed companion commentary. I'll note it both here and in the original statistics post.)

(Also edit edit: Malavai Quinn has more story features than Nadia Grell, Tharan Cedrax, SCORPIO, Skadge, Xalek, Qyzen Fess, Zenith, Ensign Temple, M1-4X, Bowdaar, Guss Tuno, T7-01, Lieutenant Iresso, Gault, Torian, Yuun, Rusk, Blizz, Mako, and Broonmark - that's twenty companions - COMBINED.)

the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

bright_ephemera
10.31.2012 , 09:08 AM | #1975
Quote: Originally Posted by Striges View Post
This makes me want to roll a male Jedi consular, just to be contrary. I do have a concept in mind....
Doublepost...I have to say, the voice acting on the male Consular is numbingly bland. I guess if he meant to hit serenity he succeeded, but yech. I gave up at level 11 purely because the boredom of hearing him talk had finally given way to profound annoyance. Honestly I would recommend playing female for tolerable voice acting, then headcanoning/writing anything you like.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 90+ authors to date. 2500+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

irishfino
10.31.2012 , 11:14 AM | #1976
Hehehe.

Hehehehe.

I'd really like to see how their relationship evolved, if you know what I mean
Ideas for these two keep popping up out of no where... while my other stories wither and die. >.<

Quote: Originally Posted by LogicLoup View Post
@irish - It's a seldom-discussed but universally-appreciated fact that uniforms can make anyone's bum look good... apparently at the expense of some comfort in the *ahem* personal area. Oh, the sacrifices we make... *snicker*
It's a sacrifice for a great cause! For the Empire. And people who like looking at bums!
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

irishfino
10.31.2012 , 11:17 AM | #1977
Prompt: Disguises
Characters: Captain Malavai Quinn and Ald, the super silly Warrior

Switching Pants

Spoiler

Notes:

Spoiler
I'll probably die if you group with me, but I'll go out with both lightsabers drawn stabbing someone in the face. Probably you, but it's cool. Forever Shenanigans!!

kabeone
10.31.2012 , 11:43 AM | #1978
@Magdalane I love the idea of Magdalane playing matchmaker

@Ereiniel I have not run through the BH line but your stories make me want to, I love the backstory of your character, how odd that a bounty hunter fits so well as former Alderaanian nobility

@Irrissa Haha, justice. I was wondering when I first read this why he had to be brought in alive!

@Tatile I love how detailed and twisted together everyone's story is. Poor Rochester!

@bright_ephemera Talos Nerdlove can make even Niselle do semi-useful things. Awesome.

@irishfino Ehehehe more Quinns all the Quinns

@LogicLoup oh I felt so sad for everyone. *sniffles*stupid jedi and their rules *sniffles*

@bright_ephemera STATISTICS I love this thanks for doing it!

LogicLoup
10.31.2012 , 11:56 AM | #1979
@irish - Everything was so light and silly and fun, with prissy Quinn and prankster Ald and snobby Miss Grabbyhands, but then...
Spoiler

OUCH.

"I may be on the side of the angels, but don't think for one second that I am one of them."

Morgani
10.31.2012 , 12:08 PM | #1980
I wasn't going to post this because i don't really like how it's turning out. But after my Sisterhood story drained all the creativity out of me I feel like I'll get out of the habit if I don't keep doing something. I'm thinking more and more about separate cohesive threads for Ipha/Brei and maybe Aurai. I just have a feeling I'll be screwing myself in the end.

This is something for Aurai and Markus. A little Worlds Collide though it's really not that obvious. This takes place after Markus does the Smuggler story so there are some Smuggler story spoilers. I'm sorry I suck at Guss. It's long, 3 thousand words. Eesh. But its the start to a longer story I would like to write, if my brain ever finds inspiration again.

Spoiler

Notes:
Spoiler
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.