Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Earthmama
09.13.2012 , 01:12 PM | #1501
Changes well kinda.

This is a little character who jumped into my head recently

Mirialan Smuggler named Isla (no last name as of yet) No spoilers.

Spoiler

Morgani
09.13.2012 , 01:37 PM | #1502
iamnotawitch: I really felt for Mel'ake. Zash comes into the SI's life and seems like a savior at the time when Harkun is hounding them about being worthless. This she has to turn around and be a total suckface. And for someone like Mel that's a huge betrayal. Very emotional. Good thing Quinn doesn't lurk around his ship.

Earthmama: Oh Corso. You're more than just your hormones, that's good to see. I hope to see more of Isla crop up in your stories. I want to see more of her personality. Did we miss all the flirting with Akaavi? Hopefully Isla is graceful enough to pick herself up and continue.
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

Earthmama
09.13.2012 , 01:48 PM | #1503
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgani View Post

Earthmama: Oh Corso. You're more than just your hormones, that's good to see. I hope to see more of Isla crop up in your stories. I want to see more of her personality. Did we miss all the flirting with Akaavi? Hopefully Isla is graceful enough to pick herself up and continue.
You did not miss anything. This is my very first story with her. I'v always shied away from writing LGBT characters because I don't feel like I have the skill to do them justice and not make them contrived or caricatures. I really admire Tatile and her expert handling of Broan and Rochester. I'm going to let Isla stew a little and let the character develop a bit before writing more about her. I just had this scene where she basically thumps Corso over the head and says "No dummy I'm gay. Leave me alone." After that, I don't know. Wait and see I guess.

imnotawitch
09.13.2012 , 01:58 PM | #1504
Quote: Originally Posted by Morgani View Post
iamnotawitch: I really felt for Mel'ake. Zash comes into the SI's life and seems like a savior at the time when Harkun is hounding them about being worthless. This she has to turn around and be a total suckface. And for someone like Mel that's a huge betrayal. Very emotional. Good thing Quinn doesn't lurk around his ship.
Thanks for the lovely review!

Also, just a general heads up, there is now a post on Water Thicker Than Blood that isn't in this thread. I thought people might like to know since I usually post everything here.
"Those who dance are considered insane by those who can't hear the music."- George Carlin
*Forever Shenanigans*

Morgani
09.13.2012 , 02:09 PM | #1505
Changes

I've always known how Ipha's future was going to turn out. But by future I mean like 20 years down the road. Ipha can't be in Havoc Squad forever and frankly, neither can Jorgan. But reading Magdalane's version of Maura and Jorgan's future finally inspired me to write Ipha's.

So a little back story. Poole has moved on and is a Colonel now. Jorgan took over after a promotion to Major with Dorne as his XO, who is now Captain. Ipha is Captain as well, married to Jorgan and took his last name. This story introduces my Chiss Bounty Hunter as a child. She's adopted by Ipha and Jorgan at age 7 and also mentions the biological child they'll be having. Ipha leaves Havoc during her pregnancy and is reassigned to Voss and eventually Coruscant when Jorgan is promoted to Colonel.

Spoiler
Be to her Virtues
very Kind.
Be to her Faults
a little Blind.

elliotcat
09.13.2012 , 02:16 PM | #1506
Quote: Originally Posted by Earthmama View Post
You did not miss anything. This is my very first story with her. I'v always shied away from writing LGBT characters because I don't feel like I have the skill to do them justice and not make them contrived or caricatures. I really admire Tatile and her expert handling of Broan and Rochester. I'm going to let Isla stew a little and let the character develop a bit before writing more about her. I just had this scene where she basically thumps Corso over the head and says "No dummy I'm gay. Leave me alone." After that, I don't know. Wait and see I guess.
As an irl glbt person I thought you did a fine job! Isla should meet Aranea...

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

Tatile
09.13.2012 , 02:57 PM | #1507
Quote: Originally Posted by Earthmama View Post
My approach with LGBT romances is simply that sex/gender is incidental to the romance itself; it's more about how the personalities work together, rather than the physical parts. It's better to think about characters as a whole and not start trying to define them by a single part. Obviously the problem at the moment is that there aren't any LGBT characters in TOR, so there's no real basis for their life experiences and whether or not they would be treated differently.

I enjoyed your introduction of Isla and hope you do more with her. It would be interesting to how Corso acts around a woman he knows he can't romance (I've heard about his creepy over-protectiveness in the class story, but have yet to experience it myself).

iamthehoyden
09.13.2012 , 03:20 PM | #1508
Ipha and Aric and babies and adoptions = d'awwwwwww (add a few more 'w's there)

And I'm really liking all the smuggler stories, it's interesting how some prompts seem to fit particular classes.

Still avoiding some spoilers so haven't read everything (on the plus side, eventually I'm going to be able to go back through and read a ton more - it'll be like Christmas).
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

kabeone
09.13.2012 , 05:49 PM | #1509
@imnotawitch That was my favorite part of the SI line. I like seeing the different takes on the SI story.

@Earthmama <3 and you picked Akaavi, I would too.

@Morgani that description of the Sith and all the bodies very slimy, dark, skin crawly descriptive goodness.

elliotcat
09.13.2012 , 06:37 PM | #1510
I'm gonna go ahead and post the prompts now, 'cause this is kind of a crazy weekend for me. This week's prompts are also accompanied by ~inspiration from my personal life~.

This Sunday one of my fondest wishes is coming true! I get a little brother!! My sister is getting married so I'm going to have a new brother-in-law. I'm pretty excited since it's always just been my little sister and me and I always really wished for a little brother we could hang out with and also torture, as older sisters do. So, for this week we have the prompt Brotherhood/Sisterhood.

Also, since I've got weddings on the brain, Ceremony seems appropriate. It doesn't have to be a wedding, it can be a graduation, a promotion, whatever. It doesn't even have to be a literal ceremony. Just let the prompt take you where it will!

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"