Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Warlord Kephess Hard Mode Strategy Guide


Trineda's Avatar


Trineda
05.31.2012 , 07:59 PM | #11
Hello there,

Great job! We love posts that help improve the community and other players may find this very useful. Great work!

DeketheDeke's Avatar


DeketheDeke
05.31.2012 , 09:17 PM | #12
I like Duffy's idea to tank the add phase behind the walker however I think less experienced guilds will have trouble downing the bomber should he pop at one of the two spawn points on the far wall. We found it easiest to tank the adds next to the bunker until the walker aoe drops right next us then transition to mid once aoe pauses (about 2/3rds through final wave). This allows us to pull/kill bomber at mid before walker aoe makes its way back to us. Another useful tactic is to have maras/sents leap to the warrior on the 2nd/final waves and solo them away from the group. Heal aggro will draw the rest to the bunker but the maras/sents will need to be topped between waves.

pure_laced's Avatar


pure_laced
06.01.2012 , 01:29 AM | #13
WoW. It really is interesting to see the different things posted that other guilds that have downed this every week for several weeks didn't know about it, including us regarding the behind walker positioning for adds. I will fraps our next week's kill and post it.

We have always gripped the "bomber" from the walker, so it is nice to see others doing that as well.

Aren't you guys a little fearful of potentially not getting down the first set of adds before next group spawns with that positioning? We do it a little differently. 1st add spawns, tank1 AOE taunts. Tank2 single taunts warrior and moves him to where 2nd group spawns and kills him. He is dead with 2 secs to spare before next set spawns and raid is finishing with their adds. Tank2 AOE taunts, Tank1/3 single taunts and pulls warrior to where 3rd group spawns. Rinse for last group. Just a different way of doing things.

I just started leveling my sniper, and was unaware of the ability that keeps them in cover and prevents the pull until I got it myself. We had a sniper sacrifice himself, or skipped the shield with the Maruader, but it can be tricky if someone lags at that moment.
Cali Killed Nox
Genshen 50: Powertech | Guardian | Assassin | Sniper | Sage
Guild Website | Stream | Twitter

DeketheDeke's Avatar


DeketheDeke
06.01.2012 , 09:14 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by pure_laced View Post
Aren't you guys a little fearful of potentially not getting down the first set of adds before next group spawns with that positioning? We do it a little differently. 1st add spawns, tank1 AOE taunts. Tank2 single taunts warrior and moves him to where 2nd group spawns and kills him. He is dead with 2 secs to spare before next set spawns and raid is finishing with their adds. Tank2 AOE taunts, Tank1/3 single taunts and pulls warrior to where 3rd group spawns. Rinse for last group. Just a different way of doing things.
Nope. We've never had a problem with this. Focus fire the first warrior where he stands then myself (heal sorc), our dips merc and dps sorc all drop AOE. Usually 4-5 seconds of downtime before 2nd wave spawns. I imagine it's even easier with a sniper AoE. We run 2 maras so they leap to the warriors and kill them where they spawn.

eventidephoenix's Avatar


eventidephoenix
06.01.2012 , 12:09 PM | #15
I see a lot of people have Sage/Sorc healers around

I'd just like to ask, during the last phase when he is hitting the tanks hard, what rotation do u guys use to keep the tank up?

I've heard different versions, some say spam deliverance, some say spam benevolence... I find trouble keeping them alive... Several times just 0.1 seconds before my deliverance casts they drop... really wondering if i should now stack alacrity in my gear...

antonmb's Avatar


antonmb
06.01.2012 , 01:57 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
I see a lot of people have Sage/Sorc healers around

I'd just like to ask, during the last phase when he is hitting the tanks hard, what rotation do u guys use to keep the tank up?

I've heard different versions, some say spam deliverance, some say spam benevolence... I find trouble keeping them alive... Several times just 0.1 seconds before my deliverance casts they drop... really wondering if i should now stack alacrity in my gear...
Wouldn't really call it a rotation, but I use the standard priority. Make sure Rejuvenate is on the tanks, Force Armor/Bubble for mitigation, and prioritze Healing Trance/Innvervate over Deliverance/Dark Infusion and Noble Sacrifice/Consumption as necessary into that cycle. Our other sage prefers Deliverance over Healing Trance on the priority queue, which has its advantages for force efficiency and not being paralyzed for high movement fights (cancelling Healing Trance/Innvervate during a cast because of movement puts it on cooldown).

But don't forget, healing is not about strictly following priorities or rotations but using the appropriate tools for an encounter that aligns with your strategy. Sometimes for example, even if Salvation is an AOE heal and advised to be only used with more than X amount of targets, I drop this under a tank paired with a Rejuvenate then actively healing with Healing Trance and Deliverance for example. The HoTs ticking from the two provide great passive healing that helps in certain situations. Also, communication is critical. If you feel like your healers are about to fall behind, call out for a cooldown from your tanks or for them to pop a MedPac.

Lastly, what works well for us here during the high damage phases is pre-casting Deliverance before the tanks take a big hit. Say during the last phase or red circle phase (which is a harder phase to heal to be honest because of the DoT) when you know Tank X is about to taunt or eat a big attack, you generally want to have a Deliverance/Dark Infusion pre-casted for that big heal and make sure he has a bubble. Using Force Potency and pairing it with two consecutive Deliverances are also life savers.

I never found the need to have Benevolence on my action bar to be honest. Healing Trance/Innervate with Conveyane/Force Bending already works extremely well as a quick heal. Hope this helps.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Diwata | Sage

Lunchmunny's Avatar


Lunchmunny
06.01.2012 , 01:58 PM | #17
I'm just a scoundrel healer, but the tanks' survivability depends more on their gear when they're tanking Kephiss imo than anything else. Even playing around in storymode last night we had an alt tank go down from too much burst from Kephiss. We normally run 3 sages and one fatty mcbad scoundrel (me) and our tanks still take a beating. (They are sitting around 27k hp buffed with the appropriate avoidance and Kephiss still can wreck them in HM. One of our sages will have to answer about their specific spell choices for that. My only job is to spam the meatheads.

Aurojiin's Avatar


Aurojiin
06.01.2012 , 02:15 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by eventidephoenix View Post
I'd just like to ask, during the last phase when he is hitting the tanks hard, what rotation do u guys use to keep the tank up?
--- First part of this post deleted because I'm an idiot and my math fails me. ---

Benevolence provides worse HPCT and is terribly inefficient; it's not worth using.

I currently have 204 alacrity, and Deliverance casts in 2.3 seconds (rounded down). When I had around 300 alacrity, it cast in 2.2 seconds, so... At any rate, there should be a second healer (and possibly a third/fourth), so the cast time on Deliverance should not be the difference between the tank living or dying.

CitizenFry's Avatar


CitizenFry
06.01.2012 , 03:33 PM | #19
I've downed Kephess on 8-man story mode a few times. Some of the mechanics mentioned are new to me...are any of them 8-man vs 16-man differences, or are they all story mode vs hard mode differences?

Inzi's Avatar


Inzi
06.01.2012 , 05:38 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
Assuming you've managed your force appropriately so you have the budget for it,
This is a big part of the encounter for healing as a sorc/sage imo. I always make sure to go into the the final phases with a full force bar. The LAST thing I want is having to use a GCD for lifetap when I need to be hitting a heal button instead.

Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
use Rejuvenate on cooldown (for the Force Shelter buff and Conveyance) and chain spam Deliverance. ... Personally I weave in Healing Trances for efficiency. Still, if you want/need maximum HPS, chain-casting Deliverance is it.
I disagree here. A rotation which includes using Innervate/Healing Trance on cooldown in conjuction with force-reduced Deliverance/Dark Infusion gives me, in MY gear, an HPS of 2063 with a time to OOF of 96 seconds. That means I can spam the monkeys out of a tank without any downtime for a minute and a half. Compare that with a rotation you're describing (spamming deliverance) which provides an HPS of 2065 (2 hps difference), but a time to OOF of 70 seconds. You get the SAME throughput effectively, but it's a LOT less efficient. In addition, the benefit to using Innervate/Healing Trance is that it is particularly helpful when a tank spikes low because it starts healing immediately.


Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
Benevolence provides worse HPS and is terribly inefficient; it's not worth using.
For anybody who is advocating Benevolence use... even if you assume 100% crit (i.e. you use your Force Bending/Conveyance for this), you heal for something resembling 3.2-3.4k in 1.5s (even if your cast time is below that, you're on GCD and can't heal with anything else then). That equates to ~2.2k HPS. Compare that with Healing Trance/Innervate which heals without the Force Bending/Conveyance buff for roughly 5.8k over ~2.5 seconds hasted. That's 2.3k HPS. So you are spending MORE force for LESS healing. Some people panic and want to hit Benevolence because "it's faster," but I advocate that Healing Trance is ACTUALLY faster healing because you get the 3k healing in the first 2 ticks at the 0s & 1s mark.

So now that 3 sorcs/sages have said this in this thread, we can take away the moral of: Benevolence/Dark Heal spamming is not the best plan.


Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
At any rate, there should be a second healer (and possibly a third/fourth), so the cast time on Deliverance should not be the difference between the tank living or dying.
I HAVE seen the tank die to this before. However in 16-man it is usually not a problem because in GENERAL we're not all casting the same thing at the same time. The problem arises when we have 3 sage healers all casting Deliverance right after a tank swap and the tank is getting barely any heals for about 3 seconds. That being said, for US, it's very rare because our 3 sages all cast slightly differently so we tend to have the bases covered.

One final note here is that it is IMPERATIVE that you precast in the final phases of Kephess. Even if the tank is at 100% health, I already have the next heal going. Worst case, the tank takes absolutely no dmg and you can cancel the cast by stutterstepping at the last second. Best case, your Deliverance finishes right as the tank takes a big hit and you've already accounted for most of it.
A home for busy adults seeking high level PvE in a respectful, mature atmosphere.
Ferne R'y | Sage