Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What do you think of a guy starting as girl toon and vice versa?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
What do you think of a guy starting as girl toon and vice versa?

TheronFett
05.30.2012 , 04:27 PM | #51
MMORPG =
Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls

Pro tip: don't flirt with girl toons in-game. There's about a 95% chance there's a guy behind the keyboard.

Yes, there are actually female gamers, and probably more than you think. Yes, there are female toons who are really just men, but they pretend to be female anyway. After 10+ years of gaming I just take for granted that all female characters are really men, until they are confirmed female through voice chat.

...and even then, there's voice mods.

Fastdoze
05.30.2012 , 05:55 PM | #52
ok, for starters I never said I had a problem with players choice of the gender of their character. I tried to indicate that I didn't know what to think.

Someone I encountered in real life got me on to SWTOR before it ever came to New Zealand and he told me a bit about his experiences with his own characters, which happened to be mainly female. I sort of ignored what he said and just played the game but met many others who would appear to male but using female characters.

I want to make it known that I am not some biased creep but wanted others opinions, which I didn't expect to get this many replies, let alone so quickly. I didn't know whether others judged them or not for the choice they made.

As it seems to be universally accepted by so many, I might have to try it myself, especially as some good points have been made for the reasons to choose a female character when male in real life.

Jenzali
05.30.2012 , 06:44 PM | #53
I never saw any correlation between what you play in-game and what you are in real life. It's a fantasy, play out anything you want to. I wouldn't expect someone who works a 9 to 5 office job to want to be the same thing in their Star Wars universe.

I'm a gay male IRL but I always play as heterosexual male characters. Maybe that says something about my subconscious, but there's really nothing to be gained by assuming something about the person behind the avatar.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

Tomb-Stone
05.30.2012 , 06:53 PM | #54
I really don't care one way or another because i assume that most (but not all) female player characters are actually guys that would rather see a change of scenery. I can't believe people still make these kind of threads.
Tomb-Stone
Common Sense Is Like Deodorant. The People Who Need It The Most Never Use It...

Flaminica
05.30.2012 , 07:36 PM | #55
Quote: Originally Posted by Jenzali View Post
I'm a gay male IRL but I always play as heterosexual male characters. Maybe that says something about my subconscious, but there's really nothing to be gained by assuming something about the person behind the avatar.
That's funny because I'm a hetero female IRL who plays gay males almost exclusively. I think you have a point about the subconscious.

Satans_Chosen
05.30.2012 , 07:54 PM | #56
No reason to be weirded out unless that guy's gal character begins to flirt with your guy character and then you begin to imagine there is something going on beyond just the game. By then either one or both of you will have developed real psychological problems. Otherwise it's just harmless role-playing.
Precise, Complete, Succinct

TalkingDinosaur
05.30.2012 , 07:55 PM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by JugglerofGeese View Post
You are so right.

I figured out after leveling a male dwarf hunter to 85 in that other MMO, I would only roll females. I got tired of staring at a male butt very quick.
Why are you staring at a butt when you should be staring at the battlefield helping your team.

#1 cause of bad teams: Players staring at their toons butts.
TALKINGDINOSAUR
Squadron
11-11-11

YoshiRaphElan
05.30.2012 , 09:17 PM | #58
My brother plays a female toon, but he has a male alt that he says is married to the female toon. Thus, while playing his fem-toon, if any males ask him out (which, surprisingly, happens somewhat often - his toon must be good-looking) he says "I'm married." That get's 'em off his back.

(Of course there was that one guy who said "I don't mind." ... )

lendarya
05.30.2012 , 10:29 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Shaith View Post
Most female toons are guys anyway. It's all about which backside you'd rather stare at
I see this all the time and I dont believe this is true. My main is male but most of my alts are female not because i "like her backside" if that was the case I'd rather play my main. however it is more to do with voice and animation for instance... even though i have one i hate the male consular voice but my female consular has a great voice
Officer of the republic guild The Womp Rats
Guild Leader of the empire guild The Bloodcrazed Wampas
www.thewomprats.info

Robert_Guiscard
05.31.2012 , 12:36 AM | #60
I have characters of both genders - all that really matters to me is the aesthetics. For SWTOR, if I like a female voice actor for a class more than the male, that's who I'll go with (Like the Inquisitor and Trooper).

In other games without voice acting, it has depended on what just seemed to fit best for the character I was trying to create.

My wife, on the other hand, always plays the EXACT SAME female character in every RPG. It's a running joke at this point since it has been going on since KOTOR 1 and has crossed into ME, DA, Fallout, and the Elder Scrolls - and even into our tabletop D&D game .
"Your weakness is in your blood!" - Battlelord Kreshan