Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

What do you think of a guy starting as girl toon and vice versa?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
What do you think of a guy starting as girl toon and vice versa?

AngelCath's Avatar


AngelCath
06.01.2012 , 07:01 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranid View Post
Rule of thumb.... Assume all players are dudes, then when you join a guild with a vent you might be pleasantly surprised to find out that dude was a girl.
I find that assumption kinda rude.
I mean, I don't mind / care what gender a person is and I don't assume anything.
But when people send me tells like "hey man...." (actually happened yesterday) I get... well not pissed but it will get a negative reaction from me, how bad depends on my mood I guess .

You can talk to people without forcing your assumption about their gender on them.
And yeah, I play female toons almost exclusively, it's all about being able to relate to my character.

MistralAnemoi's Avatar


MistralAnemoi
06.01.2012 , 07:27 AM | #92
I play SWTOR with a friend who is a bloke, and he pretty much plays all female toons - he prefers the female aesthetics. That is annoying though when his girl has better looking armour than my girl (I spent a lot of time and credits trying to get my girl looking better than his), but other than that, I don't think anything of it. He has recently made a male character, and that took a while to get used to! I think it was because he wanted to use the flirt options on all the females NPCs in the game
But it means nothing what gender character you play - you only get issues when the weird people fixate on a toon of the gender they fancy in real life, assuming its being played by someone of that gender. And that is just plain old creepy.

plotenox's Avatar


plotenox
06.01.2012 , 01:24 PM | #93
What do I think?
When I see a female toon I would just think its either a girl or a G.I.R.L.(Guy In Real Life).
I sometimes would ask them if they are a girl in real life and so far I found out they were really guys. I also thought about asking people who had male toons if they were really girl gamers,but that would turn out to be awkward.>.>
Digital Deluxe Edition
Sith Inquisitor:Riper Server:The Razor Trooper:Plaxon Server:The Harbinger

Letallis's Avatar


Letallis
06.01.2012 , 01:46 PM | #94
I tried to roll a female for the heck of it. Got to level 3 and deleted it. I rather role what I am, but that's just me. I also have to always chose body style three cause I am tall IRL. Just a quirk of mine. As for anyone else it's your money you roll what you want.
Mal: That's the buffet table.
Kaylee: Well, how can we be sure, u-unless we question it?

elliotcat's Avatar


elliotcat
06.01.2012 , 02:01 PM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by CaritaL View Post
I find that assumption kinda rude.
I mean, I don't mind / care what gender a person is and I don't assume anything.
But when people send me tells like "hey man...." (actually happened yesterday) I get... well not pissed but it will get a negative reaction from me, how bad depends on my mood I guess .

You can talk to people without forcing your assumption about their gender on them.
And yeah, I play female toons almost exclusively, it's all about being able to relate to my character.
THIS.

I play all women characters because I'm a woman IRL. I get SO TIRED of people in groups referring to me as "he". It's really annoying. I know folks just assume but there ARE girls who play this game, including lots of my RL friends who I play with. It's just aggravating.

Ebon Hawk: Latula // Elaeys // Raima // Jaea // Macara // Meulin // Damarra // Kanaaya

"We will snatch purpose from the jaws of futility...are you ready to wreak some havoc?"

Erasimus's Avatar


Erasimus
06.01.2012 , 02:16 PM | #96
It is a game, who cares? If someone has issues with people playing a character of the opposite sex I'd maintain they have issues unrelated to game play

I'm a 62 year old guy and have 8 characters in SWTOR. Two are female, just for grins. There are games where there is no choice. I really enjoyed the early Tomb Raider games and I don't recall an option to turn Lara into a guy

P.S. I do admit to skipping the romantic lines on my female toons, but then I'm old and set in my ways. Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

Erasimus's Avatar


Erasimus
06.01.2012 , 02:28 PM | #97
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
THIS.

I play all women characters because I'm a woman IRL. I get SO TIRED of people in groups referring to me as "he". It's really annoying. I know folks just assume but there ARE girls who play this game, including lots of my RL friends who I play with. It's just aggravating.
Not only are there lots of women playing games but an Entertainment Software Association 2010 study showed that 46% of people that bought games were women and 42% of on-line gamers are women. See page 9 of the linked PDF. http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA...Facts_2010.PDF
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

tronot's Avatar


tronot
06.01.2012 , 02:38 PM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by Erasimus View Post
Not only are there lots of women playing games but an Entertainment Software Association 2010 study showed that 46% of people that bought games were women and 42% of on-line gamers are women. See page 9 of the linked PDF. http://www.theesa.com/facts/pdfs/ESA...Facts_2010.PDF
People like to throw those same numbers around a lot. I bet you many of those 42% aren't playing games like SWTOR and the like. I'd say it's a much smaller percentage that play MMOs and FPSs and such.

Erasimus's Avatar


Erasimus
06.01.2012 , 02:49 PM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by tronot View Post
People like to throw those same numbers around a lot. I bet you many of those 42% aren't playing games like SWTOR and the like. I'd say it's a much smaller percentage that play MMOs and FPSs and such.
I wouldn't be too sure of that. I've played WoW since release and run across many families, couples, and single ladies that play. Could it be somewhat less than 42%, perhaps, but I'd be willing to wager that more play MMOs like STWOR and WoW than FPS games like MW. In any event the number of women players is significant and has been steadily increasing.
"Give light and the darkness will disappear of itself."

lornalove's Avatar


lornalove
06.01.2012 , 04:30 PM | #100
Quote: Originally Posted by elliotcat View Post
THIS.

I play all women characters because I'm a woman IRL. I get SO TIRED of people in groups referring to me as "he". It's really annoying. I know folks just assume but there ARE girls who play this game, including lots of my RL friends who I play with. It's just aggravating.
For me it's irritating when they then "jokingly" (we all know the jokes) refuse to believe you when you say something like "I'm a she." It never used to bother me, in the past I would ignore it or even laugh along, but I guess it starts to wear on you after quite a few years of online gaming.
I just call all male characters "he" and all female characters "she", unless told otherwise.