Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Jedi Master/Fleet Admiral

Darth_Halford
05.29.2012 , 08:37 PM | #1
So, I'm rolling through on my Trooper, and just met Master Doreck or whoever he is.

I was struck with a ball of hail to the brain when, in the conversation, I find that a Jedi Master is also a Fleet Admiral in the Republic Navy....

This doesn't make an ounce of sense to me. The Last time we had Jedi in the military, it was during the Mandalorian Wars (and we remember how that turned out).

Seriously, to be a Fleet Admiral, he would have to have been in the military long before the war with the empire broke out...and the Jedi Order isn't fond of such ideas.

I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge into this character can help me out here, cause I'm just seeing this in relation to the Fleet Admirals of the Second World War, which doesn't seem to work well.
Quote: Originally Posted by wjramussen
IF I want my own story, I break out a word processor.

DeutschGamer
05.29.2012 , 09:27 PM | #2
It's just a temporary command given to him because of the force influenced nature of the mission. Kind of like Vandar stood with the Admiral to advise them, except this time he's in charge of the mission.

Same thing with Bastila, she took command of the Endar Spire for all intents and purposes but only for the single mission.

Jedi and Sith don't become actual military leaders until some time later when the Galactic Republic falls.
Its all the force's fault.

Corso is my sidekick..or more specifically that little monkey you dress up in a tux and sit in a corner to look interesting but in reality doesn't really do anything.

Darth_Halford
05.30.2012 , 01:00 PM | #3
I See that but Fleet Admiral? Really? We're going to give the highest possible position in the Republic Navy to someone whose never even held a gun?

Earthmama
05.30.2012 , 01:40 PM | #4
Obi-Wan was a General and was often called General Kenobi as well as Master. It's not unheard of for Jedi to have military ranks as well. On Tython there's actually a quest you do (as both the JK and JC) to see if you would qualify to lead Republic troops in a military sense.

I don't see it as strange.

Maaruin
05.30.2012 , 01:43 PM | #5
Well, my theory is a little different: I think ha was already a Jedi master before the last war. During the war he showed in some situation that he was very competent in leading a fleet so they gave him a military command and made him Admiral and later Fleet Admiral.

I think in the Sith Warrior story you also encounter a Jedi General. So Jedi in military positions seem to be not that uncommon in this era, but the majority of the military leaders are still non Force users.

Btw why does a Fleet officer need to have held a gun? He is standing around on the bridge, giving orders.
And he also has a lightsaber.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Darth_Halford
05.30.2012 , 01:58 PM | #6
that is a good catch on "General Kenobi", though to be honest i'm not a big fan of that either.

As per the gun question, any "basic training" for military is going to involve some kind of firearms training.

I'm sure Star Wars land it makes perfect and absolute sense that we let pacifist space-wizards to have the top positions in the military without actual military training, but it hurts my head whenever I think about it.

If that kind of shenanigan happened in the United States Navy, I'd probably get an NJP and discharged out for unruly behavior.

Maaruin
05.30.2012 , 02:26 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Halford View Post
that is a good catch on "General Kenobi", though to be honest i'm not a big fan of that either.

As per the gun question, any "basic training" for military is going to involve some kind of firearms training.

I'm sure Star Wars land it makes perfect and absolute sense that we let pacifist space-wizards to have the top positions in the military without actual military training, but it hurts my head whenever I think about it.

If that kind of shenanigan happened in the United States Navy, I'd probably get an NJP and discharged out for unruly behavior.
The jedi are also a knights. Knights as in: combat trained. They have learned how to use a lightsaber in firefights and can deflect blasterbolts while they aproach their opponent until they are close enough to cut his head off.

And the Jedi are not exactly pacifists. They are guardians of peace and peace loving, yes. But if it comes to fight, they are very capable. The avarege Jedi has spent far more time with practicing with his lightsaber than the avarege soldier has spent practicing with blaster rifles.

Maybe you could compare it with a Marine becoming an Admiral in the Navy. i don't know if this has ever happen in reality, but in star wars they are more flexible about that. (And more flexible about weapons.)
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

VanorDM
05.30.2012 , 02:33 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Halford View Post
Not really no. Not when they're already have proven to have mastered the light saber. Why in the world would they want a Jedi to learn to fire a blaster when there is no need for them to use one. It's not like a blaster is somehow superior to a Lightsaber, or that a Jedi actually needs to use one.

It's also not like your typical Fleet Admiral is going to spend much time in a firefight.

Quote:
pacifist space-wizard.
No Jedi is a pacifist, they may prefer peace but every single one is trained for war. For example, it's typical that a padawan can't be considered a full fledged Knight until they faced the dark side, which almost always means facing a Dark Jed/Sith in combat.

Maaruin
05.30.2012 , 02:44 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by VanorDM View Post
No Jedi is a pacifist, they may prefer peace but every single one is trained for war. For example, it's typical that a padawan can't be considered a full fledged Knight until they faced the dark side, which almost always means facing a Dark Jed/Sith in combat.
That seems a little exaggerated, though. You would need lots of Dark Jedi to test all the padawans. What do you do in peace times? No, I think facing a Dark Jedi/Sith can replace the normal trails, but it can never be considered a normal trail.
-Ajunta Pall

VanorDM
05.30.2012 , 03:15 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
No, I think facing a Dark Jedi/Sith can replace the normal trails, but it can never be considered a normal trail.
Perhaps, but lots of the stories involve a Jedi facing some sort of Dark Side event or person and that seems like part of the requirement to become a Knight.