Who won the Cold War? (SWTOR)

Akilus

So after playing a bit of the game I still wonder who won the Galactic Cold War the Republic or the Empire? (If you don't know what the Galactic Cold War is, well it is the war that you are in on SWTOR)

No-one won the cold war, just people died covertly instead of blasting at each other in giant warships.

Of course, it could be said that certain Sith won, in a way, by gaining victory through their own personal power plays, but that really didn't have much to do with the war.

Well, since "mutually assured destruction" was never an issue, it technically wasn't even a Cold War. Neither side had planet-killers just waiting to be used. When things did heat up again and the war restarted, both sides weren't obliterated.

It was more of an Uneasy Peace than a true Cold War. I felt the need to specify since I grew up during the last two decades of the RL Cold War. Anyhow, from what I've seen in the stories I played through, the Empire reopened hostilities officially.

It was more of an Uneasy Peace than a true Cold War. I felt the need to specify since I grew up during the last two decades of the RL Cold War. Anyhow, from what I've seen in the stories I played through, the Empire reopened hostilities officially.

Well, yes. Of course we did :p

Okay now I think I found out, following the Jedi Knight story he kills the Emperor right? (Well that is not technically the Emperor that was just his frame body) With the emperor presumed dead the Empire has no leader now, so Malgus tries to become the Emperor in the False Emperor FP then Imperial and Republic forces kill him. (Well they don't kill him he flees to the Unknown Regions) Then now the Empire has no leader but then a Bounty Hunter killed the Supreme Chancellor so Saresh was then made the Supreme Chancellor. Now the Republic has a leader and the Empire presumed doesn't have one so basically in SWTOR the Republic wins. But I am sure that the Emperor and the Empire returns in another Expansion Pack because the Emperor wasn't killed and I also guess Malgus will be returning.

Edited by LexiCazam
Spoilers

Okay now I think I found out, following the Jedi Knight story he kills the Emperor right? (Well that is not technically the Emperor that was just his frame body) With the emperor presumed dead the Empire has no leader now, so Malgus tries to become the Emperor in the False Emperor FP then Imperial and Republic forces kill him. (Well they don't kill him he flees to the Unknown Regions) Then now the Empire has no leader but then a Bounty Hunter killed the Supreme Chancellor so Saresh was then made the Supreme Chancellor. Now the Republic has a leader and the Empire presumed doesn't have one so basically in SWTOR the Republic wins. But I am sure that the Emperor and the Empire returns in another Expansion Pack because the Emperor wasn't killed and I also guess Malgus will be returning.

The Empire still has the Dark Council to lead them like it was most of the time. (The Emperor was in seclusion for decades or centuries.)

Malgus tired to overthrow the Dark Council, but failed.

Edited by LexiCazam
spoilers

Since the Republic stays in the Star Wars Universe for thousands of years after the game and implying that it once got totally defeated would require a massive retcon, I think it's same to assume that ultimately the Republic will win. How much will it cost them to do so, it's yet to be seen.

Since the Republic stays in the Star Wars Universe for thousands of years after the game and implying that it once got totally defeated would require a massive retcon, I think it's same to assume that ultimately the Republic will win. How much will it cost them to do so, it's yet to be seen.

Well, it DID once get totally defeated. Darth Ruin you know.

I'm pretty sure they'll retcon his empire into this Sith Empre, and there we go.

Well, it DID once get totally defeated. Darth Ruin you know.

I'm pretty sure they'll retcon his empire into this Sith Empre, and there we go.

Never going to happen. That will step on Lucas's toes. The whole story behind Ruin and his empire was explained by Lucas in TPM dvd and other interviews

At max Bioware has 200-500 years to play with. Since we know the next Darth is a fallen Jedi that lived in a time of peace. With obviously the republic still intact.

Anyways to the OP's question. Nobody won the "Cold War", as you know the cold war meaning a stand off....Till the Emperor openly declared war again sometime between Act 2/3. With the start of Act 3 your character finding out the Cold War is a thing of the past and now "the 2nd great galactic war"

Edited by Girdeux

Never going to happen. That will step on Lucas's toes. The whole story behind Ruin and his empire was explained by Lucas in TPM dvd and other interviews

At max Bioware has 200-500 years to play with. Since we know the next Darth is a fallen Jedi that lived in a time of peace. With obviously the republic still intact.

Anyways to the OP's question. Nobody won the "Cold War", as you know the cold war meaning a stand off....Till the Emperor openly declared war again sometime between Act 2/3. With the start of Act 3 your character finding out the Cold War is a thing of the past and now "the 2nd great galactic war"

According to Lucas, Ruin was the first Sith Lord, so the EU has already messed with that. Ruin doesn't need to be retconned out of existance, Bioware could just have him be the successor to Vitiate, who leads the Empire into a new golden age. Just have him say something like: "The Old Empire is dead, long live the Empire!" and boom, you technically have a new Sith empire under Ruin.

Hell, he could even stay a Fallen Jedi: Just a really good, really Sithy Fallen Jedi.

Really, it's a minor, minor retcon.

According to Lucas, Ruin was the first Sith Lord, so the EU has already messed with that. Ruin doesn't need to be retconned out of existance, Bioware could just have him be the successor to Vitiate, who leads the Empire into a new golden age. Just have him say something like: "The Old Empire is dead, long live the Empire!" and boom, you technically have a new Sith empire under Ruin.

Hell, he could even stay a Fallen Jedi: Just a really good, really Sithy Fallen Jedi.

I believe George said in his story, Ruin was the first Sith Lord. Doesn't retcon anything. Remember, C-Canon is NOT George's story. :)

Doesnt really matter anyway, This Sith Empire definetly doesnt last as long as people like to think. Any lore junkie knows that imbetween now and Ruin there is tipbits about the Republic still being intact and other Darths imbetween.

Unless their "win" was very very short lived....Doesnt really make sense though. The Sith Empire has such hatred of the Jedi and Republic that if they were to ever win THE war Tython/Dantooine/Coruscant would be turnt into floating space rock for being Republic/Jedi "Symbol" worlds.

Whats more interesting though is how they are going to explain how the Sith Species become extinct...probably some sort of genocide weapon...

Edited by Girdeux

The Empire still has the Dark Council to lead them like it was most of the time. (The Emperor was in seclusion for decades or centuries.)

Malgus tired to overthrow the Dark Council, but failed.

half of the dark council are killed in the game alone.

that and the emperors death along with malgus and thye dismantle of imperial intellgance id say for now the republic is winning.

however as i have said before id look at this game as the new hope of the franchise, everythings all hopeful for the republic now but the Sith will strike back.

Edited by Kaisernick

Hello there!

We ask that story discussions outside of the Spoilers forum be wrapped in spoiler tags. You may do this by putting [noparse]

[/noparse] at the beginning of your text and [noparse]

[/noparse] at the end! Your result will look like this:

this is an example of hidden text with spoiler tags!

We've edited some of the posts in this thread to put in spoiler tags. Thanks everyone!

Possibly the Star Cabal, seeing as they successfully reignited hostilities?

At least in the agent storyline, Republic tries to get in a "first strike", Empire is alerted, openly declares war in retaliation. Star Cabal fans flames behind scenes. No one really "started" it per se. There were aggressions on both sides that probably would have died down if not for outside influence.

Who's going to win long term? I have no idea. I suspect it could easily be retconned either way.

half of the dark council are killed in the game alone.

that and the emperors death along with malgus and thye dismantle of imperial intellgance id say for now the republic is winning.

however as i have said before id look at this game as the new hope of the franchise, everythings all hopeful for the republic now but the Sith will strike back.

The Emperor's not dead.

This is just a theroy of mine so it is not really canon so no spoilers for anyone :D

Well I think if

no one won the Cold War

then maybe this is how it ends? The Empire and Republic has been fighting for 3 years now and they suffered too many casualities so the Empire and the Republic step down from the war because of a lack of supplies and soldiers, if this DOES happen then maybe we find out what happens next.

This is just a theroy of mine so it is not really canon so no spoilers for anyone :D

Well I think if

no one won the Cold War

then maybe this is how it ends? The Empire and Republic has been fighting for 3 years now and they suffered too many casualities so the Empire and the Republic step down from the war because of a lack of supplies and soldiers, if this DOES happen then maybe we find out what happens next.

Ummm if they have been fighting for three years then the cold war has been over for three years. A cold war is a war where there is no fighting(at least officially) any military action is done through proxies.

The Republic eventualy will win the war , what we have to found out is , at what price?

For example in 1500 B.Y we know that a sith Lord stepped on Tythoon and she was alone on the planet , this would possibly indicate the Republic loosing Tythoon over the Empire.

Another example , in MotS , when Mara Jade and Kyle Katarn step on Kass , there's nothing there , possibly implying that Kaas City got Destroyed by Republicans.

This doesn't mean that all the sith were killed , look at the Lost Tribe in FotJ , they survived for centuries.

Maybe the survivors will go explore the Unkown Region and get destroyed by te Y.V ( :D )

• 1 year later...
Eventually the Republic will win. If the Sith had won by defeating the Republic completely, they would still be ruling and there wouldn't be the movies, even if this happens thousands of years before, but who knows the Empire ruled for centuries... Logically the Empire should fall, and the Republic prevails. Edited by AgustinSarro