Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech Pyrotech deserve the HUGE nerf

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Powertech Pyrotech deserve the HUGE nerf

Roiz
05.28.2012 , 05:39 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Bbizzle View Post
Flame burst doesnt ignore armor, so get your **** straight before you rant. And High impact bolt/railshot doesnt completely ignore armor either, it ignores 90% with 8 points required to get that from the tree. ( the 30% is the upper part of a mini tree) And your info that it always places a dot and snares and blah blah, thats all tree feated. You know what else triggers a proc, is spammable, and snares? Force lightning. Lots of classes have feed in skills.
Flame burst do elemetal damage - all elemental damage ignore armor. It also automatically applies cylinder effect which also apply slow and dot, it is spammable and has 10 meters. I tried it in warzones, if you just spam flame burst only with proccable railshots you kill any class faster than they kill you just pressing two buttons flame burst and railshot, none of othe abilities needed. Using this two abilities almost always allow you to kill two target before you overheat.

Twor
05.28.2012 , 05:47 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Roiz View Post
Flame burst do elemetal damage - all elemental damage ignore armor. It also automatically applies cylinder effect which also apply slow and dot, it is spammable and has 10 meters. I tried it in warzones, if you just spam flame burst only with proccable railshots you kill any class faster than they kill you just pressing two buttons flame burst and railshot, none of othe abilities needed. Using this two abilities almost always allow you to kill two target before you overheat.
RS can proc every 6 seconds. If you keep spamming FB the whole time you will overheat very fast. And in the 50ish WZ you won't kill a single target before overheating with that sorry (adrenals, stims, crit cd taken aside).

And again FB is a filler, not our main nuke. The damage is does is average at best. It is used to apply the dot and reset the CD of RS. Or to finnish a target of. It is by no means a main attack skill.
Quote: Originally Posted by fungihoujo View Post
BW motto- If it ain't broke, break it. If it is broke, take it away.

Razuache
05.28.2012 , 05:55 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Awayy View Post
I won't comment on balance issues itself because I feel as though I am no longer in a position to, but I would like to ask a question.

Aren't powertechs really easy for team to burst down in a wz?
no they tank as good as a juggernaut

SajPl
05.28.2012 , 06:22 AM | #24
When im plaing my pyro im top DPS when im plaing my Sent im top DPS, nerf whichever you like

Quote: Originally Posted by Razuache View Post
no they tank as good as a juggernaut
You really have no idea what you are talking about, do you ?

jizerai
05.28.2012 , 06:29 AM | #25
I consider Powertech/Vanguard to be a very fun to play and good class, but not really a raging infernal daemon bent on destroying the world and all that we hold dear. In fact, they have several weaknesses: one is lack of range to be truly effective, another is the fact that they will be murdered by most other melee classes - and can easily be taken apart by ranged if their pull is on cooldown and they are caught in the open. With that said, I still think they are a good class.

I do have some problems understanding a few of the points the original poster gives. First off, their "main attack" does not "completely ignore armor". It's just not true. It's considered elemental damage, and as such you will have a smaller damage reduction for it, that is all.

Secondly, Rail Shot ignores 90% of the targets armor does not equate to an equal damage boost. It will remove 90% of the targets armor, which if you have 5000 armor will mean you only get to use 500 of it (5000 * 0.1 = 500), which equates to around 5% damage reduction - instead of ~31%.

An average hit of 2000 (for the sake of argument), will mean you do 2000 * 0.95 = 1900 instead of 2000 * 0.69 = 1380 points of damage. In this case, that will yield a ~27% damage increase, at the cost of 5 points. Please note that this is a very simplified version and what it's really good for is increasing your damage on tank-classes - which, btw, Snipers/Gunslingers are more proficient in if spec:ed for it, in my opinion.

I'll end my rant here, I think. Kind of lost my own train of thought.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

ShadowOfVey
05.28.2012 , 09:24 AM | #26
The real problem with DPS PTs is exactly how you go about nerfing them.

I think the damage being so high (mainly due to the fact that elemental damage and armor ignoring railshots are going around) is perhaps a bit much. However just the same, they don't have anything else going for them.

Lets say one day a patch came out and instead of those attacks doing elemental damage it was energy, and lets say railshot didn't ignore armor or ignored a lot less of it.

DPS powertechs would then shift spectrums far too much. Instead of being very dangerous, they'd immediately become GARBAGE. The attack values on their powerful attacks really aren't that high, it's just the elemental and/or armor ignore that makes it hurt. They'd just flat out due a fair bit less damage and in exchange would...well not do much really. The high damage is the only reason for the spec currently, they have very little in the way of utility elsewhere compared to other classes.

So it can't just be a flat out nerf. They would need to get one (probably several) things in return in order to be viable.

anwg
05.28.2012 , 09:53 AM | #27
Only 1 AC has almost no chance beating a PT: merc/commando.

Ewgal
05.28.2012 , 10:01 AM | #28
The nerf powertech needs:
1. railshot should not ignore armor, for instant cast skill 30 meters range completly ignore armor is too OP.

Agreed. Railshot should be toned down.

2. Something should be done with flame burst. It is way too much having 10 meter range instant cast ability with no CD which do high damage, place dot, slow target and ignore armore at the same time. It shoul be placed on 10 seconds CD or have 1.5 sec cast time and it should not ignore armor.

Agreed. I think a 10 second cool-down would make it more reasonable or make it channeled.
May the farce be with you

Dencre
05.28.2012 , 10:04 AM | #29
They are fine. You are just clueless.
Dencre BetchPuddin

HynrihkMutilation

Underpowered
05.28.2012 , 10:06 AM | #30
The proper way to nerf them is to reduce their effectiveness in situations where players most commonly claim they are overwhelmingly powerful, and provide a lesser buff to where players most commonly claim they are weakest to placate them. These two situations are at short range (4-10m) and at long range (15-30m+) respectively. Not that I think that they need a buff to long range capability since they have three excellent skills (Assault Plastique/Thermal Detonator, Incendiary Missile/Incendary Round, followed by Rail Shot/HIB on burning target) and their auto attack to use while they close in on their targets.

I propose the following:
  • Ionized Ignition/Bursting Flame now increases the chance of Ion Pulse/Flame Burst to trigger Plasma Cell/Combustible Gas Cylinder by 15/30/45%, down from 33/66/100%.
  • Superheated Plasma/Superheated Gas now increases the chance of Plasma Cell/Combustible Gas Cylinder to trigger by 5/10/15%. This effect now applies to Ion Pulse/Flame Burst in addition to Hammer Shot/Rapid Shots if it did not do so already. The damage bonus remains the same.
  • Ion Pulse/Flame Burst is now a Physical effect.

Net effect of changes:
  • The ability for Assault VGs/Pyro BHs to keep their targets infinitely snared within their effective kill radius (4-10m) is reduced versus all classes. The new chance of Ion Pulse/Flame Burst to trigger Plasma Cell/CGC is 45+15=60%, down from100%. If it doesn't apply the first time, do it again. The odds of this effect not triggering twice in a row is extremely low (16%).
  • The long-range effectiveness of Assault VGs/Pyro BHs has been increased. Hammer Shot/Rapid Shot attacks now have a 25% chance to trigger PC/CGC, up from 16%. If VGs/BHs really want to continue to whine about their supposedly lack of long-rage effectivness, I would be willing to provide an additional 5% trigger chance for PC/CGC on Hammer Shot/Rail Shot.
  • Healing Sages can now cleanse the PC/CGC dot so that they are no longer an inexplicable free kill.

Discuss.
Dany - "Buy one DPS sage, get a mediocre healer free!"
Danbert - #1 Solo ranked tank queue slayer.
---
jedi covenant, formerly from canderous ordo, formely from juyo server