Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Repucussions of Exit area on Ops no longer allowed

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Flashpoints, Operations, and Heroic Missions
Repucussions of Exit area on Ops no longer allowed

Shai-Huluud's Avatar


Shai-Huluud
05.28.2012 , 03:32 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by monkgryphon View Post
That was not beside the point. Risk vs. Reward is a VERY LARGE point. DPS and healers being in the position to jump out quick and easy removes a lot of the risk.
Now we are almost on point. My Original point is driven by the fact that those in heavier armour incur lower repair costs and thus do not take an even split of risk for the same reward. I don't know the stats for sure but if someone in heavy armour takes half the amount of item damage for dying then it can be argued that him taking a death while those in lighter armour escape is something of a balance.
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)

ChuangTzu's Avatar


ChuangTzu
05.28.2012 , 03:35 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Lazzer View Post
Why would you exit an operation during combat? Between bosses yes, in combat no.
Clearly you don't do many Ops!
"Words are for conveying ideas, but when the ideas are understood, you forget the words. How I would love to talk to someone who's forgotten all the words!" Chuang Tzu

xandax's Avatar


xandax
05.28.2012 , 03:36 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by monkgryphon View Post
That was not beside the point. Risk vs. Reward is a VERY LARGE point. DPS and healers being in the position to jump out quick and easy removes a lot of the risk.
There's no more risk involved.
There's just a larger degree of time sink involved. The risk is still the same.
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent.

Shai-Huluud's Avatar


Shai-Huluud
05.28.2012 , 03:37 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Satans_Puppet View Post
You're in a fight and shouldn't be able to leave the area during that fight. It's just like in WZ's people who commit to the queue shouldn't be able to leave without getting a debuff before the game has finished!

Its folks who think leaving an area during combat is ok that had the vendors removed from WZ's because they were using them as their personal vendor dump/repair unit and then leaving WZ's straight away meaning that teams had less players at the start.

Exploiting a game mechanic is exploiting and if they're fixing it... good on 'em!
I don't PVP much so have never really encountered that problem, not something I know enough about to comment on. I'm not certain this counts as what I might call an "exploit" like say credit duping for example because that is something that has damaging and far reaching effects. This issue is really about an unnecessary waste of time as much as a disproportionate credit sink and I'm not convinced that the game is in any way well served by the change.
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)

Satans_Puppet's Avatar


Satans_Puppet
05.28.2012 , 03:54 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Shai-Huluud View Post
I don't PVP much so have never really encountered that problem, not something I know enough about to comment on. I'm not certain this counts as what I might call an "exploit" like say credit duping for example because that is something that has damaging and far reaching effects. This issue is really about an unnecessary waste of time as much as a disproportionate credit sink and I'm not convinced that the game is in any way well served by the change.
Everyone knows that if you're planning on doing an HM FP/Ops run, you need to set aside time to do it. You can't have it both ways "Oh we're wiping better activate the 'exit area' thing now.... I've been in situations where the boss has been down to the very last lot of it's health and two DPS have kited until its dead with me healing them. Yes that would normally consist of a wipe but wipes are part of running OPs/HM.

If you're worried about time sinks then you guys should go back to the days of EQ and FFXI, especially the latter where practically everything had to be done as a group and you'd be forced to engage in the economy and other social activities until you could find a group :P In FFXI I used to earn money teleporting people around the world as there were no main flightpaths ready made, you'd have to get ships with connections and long times waiting on board those ships to reach their destinations.

In fact, the only way to get out of an area mid battle would be to have a black mage on your team with "Escape" once cast the entire team would be ported out to the enterance Maybe Smuggler or another class should get an ability like that but a mechanic that's supposed to be used when a FP has been defeated to make it easier on players should only be used for the purpose in which it was designed. :P
SINDAR
Hidden Beks - <The Brotherhood of X> having fun on PvP and PVE Content!

Shai-Huluud's Avatar


Shai-Huluud
05.28.2012 , 04:05 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Satans_Puppet View Post
Everyone knows that if you're planning on doing an HM FP/Ops run, you need to set aside time to do it. You can't have it both ways "Oh we're wiping better activate the 'exit area' thing now.... I've been in situations where the boss has been down to the very last lot of it's health and two DPS have kited until its dead with me healing them. Yes that would normally consist of a wipe but wipes are part of running OPs/HM.

If you're worried about time sinks then you guys should go back to the days of EQ and FFXI, especially the latter where practically everything had to be done as a group and you'd be forced to engage in the economy and other social activities until you could find a group :P In FFXI I used to earn money teleporting people around the world as there were no main flightpaths ready made, you'd have to get ships with connections and long times waiting on board those ships to reach their destinations.

In fact, the only way to get out of an area mid battle would be to have a black mage on your team with "Escape" once cast the entire team would be ported out to the enterance Maybe Smuggler or another class should get an ability like that but a mechanic that's supposed to be used when a FP has been defeated to make it easier on players should only be used for the purpose in which it was designed. :P
I'm not convinced by your argument. It seems as though you are saying two things -

1. Because things use to be a certain way then we shouldn't suggest they be different now, I used to play EQ and now I play SWTOR with my son and frankly Id rather have our time spent doing more of the good stuff and less of the bad for my time commitment. (Don't worry, we go outside and play football together too)

2. That because this mechanic had another intention it should not be considered useful and cannot by definition be considered "good" for another purpose.

Apologies if I have misunderstood the thrust of your point here.
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)

Brittaany_Banks's Avatar


Brittaany_Banks
05.28.2012 , 05:15 AM | #17
I would petition the devs to add the ability to exit area from OPS back into the game with one alteration.... make it so that if you exit area DURING COMBAT ONLY that it degrades your armor condition the appropriate amount as if you had been killed anyway.

This will speed up the process of resetting when a wipe is known to be imminent and no circumvention of game mechanics will occur.
I don't care who you are. I don't care if you are male, or female, black, or white, gay, or straight, religious, or non-religious, old or young. I care about 3 things. Can you tank properly? Can you DPS properly? Can you heal properly?
#GamerGate

Shai-Huluud's Avatar


Shai-Huluud
05.28.2012 , 05:28 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Brittaany_Banks View Post
I would petition the devs to add the ability to exit area from OPS back into the game with one alteration.... make it so that if you exit area DURING COMBAT ONLY that it degrades your armor condition the appropriate amount as if you had been killed anyway.

This will speed up the process of resetting when a wipe is known to be imminent and no circumvention of game mechanics will occur.
This seems reasonable, although I think that until they have normalised the repair cost disparity between armour types that it should be put back in place as was. Otherwise there is little difference between this to using the /stuck command to get out fast and still take the durability hit (I'm told this is the case but have never actually done it).
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)

peterjohndevries's Avatar


peterjohndevries
05.28.2012 , 06:02 AM | #19
seriously folks? This seems like such a completely irrelevant issue - are you people actually saying you CARE about the amount of money it costs you to repair your armour? Seriously? Money has zero meaning in this game given you can generate cash so quickly doing dailies or any other number of activities.
Wow, get your priorities straight
so you lose a few minutes in an ops because you can't 'exit area' - who cares?
You have to pay to get your amour repaired - who cares?

You should be mad at the silly amount of travel time it takes to get anywhere in this game INCLUDING to the ops starting points and in ops run back to the bosses AFTER you wipe

I don't want devs spending 2 minutes trying to 'fix' this given the wackload of serious game breaking problems they should be focusing on

Shai-Huluud's Avatar


Shai-Huluud
05.28.2012 , 07:35 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by peterjohndevries View Post
seriously folks? This seems like such a completely irrelevant issue - are you people actually saying you CARE about the amount of money it costs you to repair your armour? Seriously? Money has zero meaning in this game given you can generate cash so quickly doing dailies or any other number of activities.
Wow, get your priorities straight
so you lose a few minutes in an ops because you can't 'exit area' - who cares?
You have to pay to get your amour repaired - who cares?

You should be mad at the silly amount of travel time it takes to get anywhere in this game INCLUDING to the ops starting points and in ops run back to the bosses AFTER you wipe

I don't want devs spending 2 minutes trying to 'fix' this given the wackload of serious game breaking problems they should be focusing on
Well it's clearly irrelevant to you but since this is the only post of its nature amongst all the other replies I'm guessing that other people decided it wasn't irrelevant either.

With regards to money being of no value I think it's relative, I don't get lots of playtime and therefore have difficulty finding time to do lots of dallies or play the market to generate cash, I have a wife, a job, a child and indeed, other hobbies. So, to me, money is of value. For the very same reasons, time is of high value to me.

I understand your personal preference being that developers spend time working on things that are important to you, but don't I have the same rights as you?

On the matter of travel times I think we agree, although I think that you should probably start your own thread on that matter rather than use this one to voice your own particular concerns.

thanks for contributing though.
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)