Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Please vote to stop warzone hacking/cheating!! ;)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Please vote to stop warzone hacking/cheating!! ;)

Astarica
05.28.2012 , 02:29 PM | #21
Security and freedom are inversely proportional to each other. If you want more security you got to give up your freedom (like let Bioware install spyware in your computer, like Blizzard does). Blizzard gets to get away with it because they are, well, Blizzard, but generally for everyone else, they value their freedom and would not rather your MMORPG snooping what terms you're searching on Google (Blizzard does that and they could ban you if you search for 'WoW hacks' even if you never used them, if they wanted to). However valuing freedom means games are inherently insecure. At least, there's no way a game that doesn't snoop on you like SWTOR can be anywhere as secure as WoW where it's basically spying on you the whole time.

NoaFlux
05.29.2012 , 06:55 AM | #22
Yeah but there's always the most progressive, and widely used option of letting the players fix it them selves. That's what this post is about.

A possible example ....

IF enough player voted against a given player that player would be temporarily banned for an hour from being queued with those votees. If 8 players voted against them...or maybe if 20 players did over the week they would be penalized in this or another way. The option should be universal too, i should be able to vote against some one on my team as I don't want to be playing with a cheater.

*I think the 20 player option I mentioned above is smart...as it gives the hacker time to think about it...and intimidates them...as their number goes higher to stop. It also gives them time if it's not true (false accusations) to see what the mistake might be and to clear it up with people while he's playing.

Yelp....is a website where people help restaurants by giving critique.
IMDB let's people vote on movies to see what customers want and to even out the voting score against critics.
Bioware has to let us help them in a similar way.
It is a little different but again it's about US helping THEM.

NoaFlux
05.29.2012 , 07:41 AM | #23
I posted up an example of an IN GAME VOTING system here if anyone is interested...

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=467330

Atho_UK
05.29.2012 , 09:17 AM | #24
There is no doubt that hacking does take place, when you have websites giving away free speed hacks and bots it will be inevitable. I think Bioware are aware and do patch to stop them, but all that happens is the hacks are re-released post patch.

As has been stated elsewhere in this thread, the only way to stop the minority of players who use hacks is to report them whenever you see them and eventually they will be removed from the game. It probably will never be stamped out completely but it can be greatly reduced, so help Bioware to help you by reporting them.

westrunzil
05.29.2012 , 10:19 AM | #25
I vote for that, Bioware must do something to stop the hackers
LORD CALYPHO EU RP-PVP

Veniras
05.29.2012 , 10:23 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Dayshadow View Post
Does it last indefinitely? Because she never slows down. Ever.

That's why I reported it. She is NEVER running at normal in-combat speed. She is fast 100% of the time.
Combat spec sents gains a passive speed boost. Learn their abilities before accusing of cheating.

SteffizleESQ
05.29.2012 , 10:37 AM | #27
I haven't seen a lot of the hacks that people have described since I'm a more casual player who is still getting used to the PVP after 50, but I'm sure many of those hacks do exist.

I'm a bit concerned that we haven't had any bug fixes since 15 may though...

TUXs
05.29.2012 , 11:02 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by vimm View Post
Still haven't seen any hacks in this game. Have you tried being competent?
Lemme guess...you've unsubbed to SWTOR and haven't played it since the 1st week? Or...your monitor is broken?! A bug where you're the only toon visible?! You only PvE but troll the PvP forum? You only RP? Because the ONLY way to have NOT seen one, is to have not played in WZs or to be blind.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

TUXs
05.29.2012 , 11:05 AM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by WickedImage View Post
Those who "claim" to have never seen hacks in this game fall into a few simple categories.
Liars or cheaters themselves
ABSOLUTELY agree!!!

Usually, they're also the ones yelling at "baddies" on their team too. ALL around LOSERS!
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Astarica
05.29.2012 , 11:15 AM | #30
Hacking is sort of like speeding or shoplifting. Without having a society where every move you do is watched by someone, both are pretty much impossible to completely stop . The only reason why everyone doesn't just do either of those activity is beacuse the law threatens to totaly mess you up in the off chance you do get caught so people don't want to get thrown in jail or pay expensive speeding ticket + insurance hike even though there's a very good chance you'll get away with it.

Compared to that, the punishment for hacking is probably even lower. There's a school of thought (for game makers) that you should never ban anyone in a subscription game, and suspensions can be thought of a good break for your gaming addiction anyway. Even in the case of ban, you never lose than the cost of the game by definition. This is not the case with say shoplifting. If you steal $1 worth of stuf and get caught you don't just pay them $1 and get off clean. It hurts you considerably more than $1 on the unlikely chance you do get caught, so people don't do it very often. Unfortunately there's really no legislation (nor do I think it's even a good idea) to punish people for cheating beyond making them lose all the money they put into the game so there's not much of a deterrent to cheating.