Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Grimoir's "Terminal Velocity" 0/23/18 PvP DPS spec

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Grimoir's "Terminal Velocity" 0/23/18 PvP DPS spec

Grimoir
07.10.2012 , 02:20 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Keypek View Post
I may be missing something obvious but I don't see how this has extra utility (aside from hold the line) or better ammo-management. In fact, I'd think ammo management would be worse in this spec then going all assault with paralytic stims and reduced CD on recharge cells or all tactics with the passive ammo regen and 100% chance to proc free SS instead of 30%.

I don't know, we all play differently so if it works for you thats great. But I just don't see what this is besides a lot less useful dps. I guess you can gut and IR as many people as you can and pad numbers but losing a third of your damage potential in assault just for hold the line or lose the added durability and better ammo management in tactics and large pressure dps possibilities in tactics just for IR and an extra unbuffed and neutered HiB every 6 seconds confuses me.
The most useful is, of course, HtL/HO in terms of utility, but there are other benefits of going up the middle tree: Reduced CD on Grapple/Harpoon, reduced CD on CG/ED, reduced CD on Stealth Scan and increased detection(I pick this up in Pyro anyhow), more frequent interrupts, and a slow on Gut/RB. Both IP/FB and Gut/RB have on-call slows in this spec, of 3 and 6 seconds respectively, which lend to better control over the other team in situations where you want to inhibit their transit(in-between doors in VS, protecting nodes, running the huttball, peeling).

Resource management is actually great in this spec with how often the free SS/RP and HiB/RS procs pop up. Since so much of your damage is in your DoTs and free procs, there's lots of resource available to use IP/FB without going into the regen danger zone. I believe one of my previous posts in this thread explains all of this in addition to how unnecessary PCS/GAJ is for resource management. The points are better spent in the stealth detection talent imo. The reduction in CD on RC/VH is also negligible if you know how to manage your ammo/heat, even more so if you get the lucky procs. The passive resource restore from HEC/HEGC is pretty pathetic in my experience with running full Tactics/AP. IA/PPA procs more than make up for the passive restore with the added utility and damage that comes from running in PC/CGC.

"Less useful DPS," is a pretty harsh way to describe what this spec is capable of. Less bursty DPS, sure, but less useful? Far from it. Pressure is incredibly important in RWZs and that is what this spec is very good at doing. Forcing the healer to focus on cleansing and healing multiple targets is indispensable when trying to take down an organized group as it spreads their effectiveness out enough to give your team an advantage. You can refer to my previous posts for a more in-depth explanation of what this spec excels at.

TV puts out much more pressure outside of the 4m range than full Tactics/AP thanks to IR/IM and PC/CGC. That's 2 extra DoTs that can be utilized from up to 30m. Tactics/AP has no way of putting pressure on an opponent without being within 10m and has to be at 4m to use their ONLY DoT. Also the so-called durability boost is pathetic. You have to be stunned to take advantage of the damage reduction in the Tactics/AP tree which renders it useful only in 1v1 situations at best. Most people will time their stuns to the point where they know they can take you down anyways. It also does jack **** when an AS/Pyro stuns you and crits on an AP/TD or HiB/RS. In fact, Pyro has better survivability when it comes to damage reduction than both full Tactics/AP and TV with its reduced CD on Energy Shield. HtL/HO almost makes up for this with mobility often allowing you to get out of harms way and into your healer's line-of-sight. RS may not have the 30% surge boost in this spec, but you've got guaranteed crits of 3-4k when geared which is far from neutered in my honest opinion.

I feel like this has become an argument over whether TV is better than Pyro or not, which is simply not my intention. I feel like this spec has its perks, but so do AS/Pyro and Tactics/AP. The reason I have decided to run this spec is because I relate to the play-style more than I do to full versions of those aforementioned specs. The amount of utility along with competitive damage from IA/PPA really meshes with how I like to play. Being able to run circles around someone as you break them down with heavy hitters like HiB/RS and SS/RP all while your DoT's drain their health is so much fun when put into practice.
~The Jykoor Legacy of The Bastion(PvP)~
Anasė - Terminal Velocity[Hybrid] Powertech - Level: 55
Jerīcho - Tactics Vanguard - Level: 55

TheOpf
07.10.2012 , 03:51 PM | #22
Grim, I have actually ran into a lot of Vanguards/Powertechs who are running some variation of this and the Maverick. It's extremely effective in the short TTK fights that we are at now. Yes it misses the burst of AP/TD, but the utility makes it a more free roamer. I have several guild PT's who are messing around with it because of how amazing HO is. Those who want the insta gib magic of AP/RS/RP/RS can keep it. We actually have a Maverick (Terminal Velocity) VG, a Pyro VG, and a Norse VG in my guild at this moment.
The Bounty Hunter AP Guide: Always Learning -Vanguard Tactics Guide: Where is my PG Slow?
Anam Ithieor- 50 AP Powertech
Anbas Ithieor- 20 Operative (lethality/healer)

Raggok
07.10.2012 , 06:12 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Fafryd View Post
I ran a spec like this for a long time. It's a good spec. I think Oozo ran a spec like this a while ago as well.
Yes, I posted several movies using this basic buiild way back in January. It didn't catch on at the time since people were much more interested in the pure damage from assault and not willing to sacrifice some damage for survivability.
Check out my SWTOR PvP movies.
Follow me on Twitter for updates

Grimoir
07.10.2012 , 07:02 PM | #24
Edited my OP to reflect on your return Oozo. You should definitely name the spec if you haven't already. It'd be cool for the spec to finally get a REAL name, like "Iron Fist" and "Carolina Parakeet," so as to unite the Vanguard/PT community for what to call it haha.

Raggok
07.10.2012 , 10:22 PM | #25
I'll leave it others to give it a name. :P

As Eph mentioned on the other board, it was probably a known build in beta since the main components of the build have remained relatively stable since the game was launched. Kind of cool to see people giving it a shot though.
Check out my SWTOR PvP movies.
Follow me on Twitter for updates

mrObtuse
07.13.2012 , 08:10 AM | #26
Hey guys

I decided to try this out as a slightly more kiting focused play style.... It's actually the build I originally had except I was trying to keep pulse generator. There's just no synergy there. With both slows, it's amazing. I love it. I think I had good teams so it did shine when I wasn't getting chewed to pieces thanks to our team holding ground well.

Coming to it from 2/31/8, it is a little less sturdy. I don't have damage reduction for stuns so I drop instantly when stunned and focused. Despite that, I'm not yet certain but it feels more punchy. On one hand you're dropping the surge bonuses on your direct attack, losing the cheap fire pulse, but you're gaining better resource efficiency on ion accelerator procs. The free ss is now incidental rather than a rotation thing to follow fire pulse. But I still love throwing maximum slow on my targets, 2 or three damage over time, and unloading with the ion accelerator synergy.

9 out of 10 so far

Grimoir
07.22.2012 , 12:39 AM | #27
Screenshot

A couple weeks after swapping back to this spec from Pyro, I'm finally getting properly geared and beginning to put up competetive numbers. This is a duo que with another DPS, and no tanks to speak of on the other team, but I impressed myself with my performance.

iNeXxS
07.22.2012 , 04:46 PM | #28
Great spec, been playing it for the first time today and did pretty well in a Voidstar

http://i.imgur.com/uw7ug.jpg

Also had 818 DPS
KAIO-KEN ... TIMES 20!!!
Kaio-ken Kamehameha of Jung-Ma | <Credit Shot>

Praiden
07.30.2012 , 12:32 AM | #29
pick this spec up 2 weeks ago and its awesome great for shutting down healers. and will probably be the vaguards healer killer spec if the AS get nerfed to hard. I love the utility of the 30S cd on HTL which is amazing btw. but i do miss the big numbers in AS. this class resurce manageent is really quite something i thought it was gonna be bad even though you said it was good and turns out its pretty good management. its a lot hard to 1v1 anyone now but exccellent in small team fights and healer control with increase speed HTL(AMAZING i don't care if you hate me it really is amazing) and gut slow and decrease cd on interupt. very fun spec though not as affective as AS for actual competative play but great fun for reg WZ.

been really enjoying the spec kinda feels like a ironfist but dps lol if that makes any sense.
RUN FROM THE GLOWSTICKS
SWG Lowca
SWTOR Prophecy of the Five - Myirk 50 Happy Feet

Grimoir
07.30.2012 , 03:07 AM | #30
Yeah I use it in RWZ's now and I enjoy it MUCH more than pure Pyro. I cant stress how much the added utility of the AP tree contributes to my teams performance. It's amazing how much one notices the reduction in CD on Grapple in those games where you use it whenever its up too.

Recent Huttball vs a mediocre team. Holding mid the whole time padded my numbers sooooooo much. Sadly our healer got the stun bug and was kicked pretty early on =(