Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Grimoir's "Terminal Velocity" 0/23/18 PvP DPS spec

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
Grimoir's "Terminal Velocity" 0/23/18 PvP DPS spec

Mutsie
05.30.2012 , 07:44 AM | #11
Grimoir: Love this build! I only know it as a run-and-gun build, mentioned in one of Taugrim's post earlier but never been descriped as thorough as this, great! I currently use the 1/22/18 spec. I wonder which rotation do you use?

wadecounty
05.30.2012 , 08:28 AM | #12
Quick thought for this build... would you ever consider dropping 1 point from Ionic Accelerator to drop into Pulse Generator? So your 2 main attacks would only have a 30/40% chance to proc it, but PG would enter the equation, and with Explosive Surge you could set up 5 stacks of PG easily before most encounters.

With the way its currently bugged for VG's, that means you could open fights with a 50% stronger Sticky (almost as powerful as Assault Plastique now) along with Pulse Cannon as an option. And while fighting a healer, losing a couple of procs per fight with HiB could be made up for with the DPS increase you'd get from the random boosted Pulse Cannon and Sticky Grenades.

The other option would be to sacrifice the Snare on Gut, but I don't know if I could do that, the utility possibilities with that are just way too good.

This is what I'm thinking of.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/v...9c6ee92-c1ceif

I just really like the idea of having access to every really nice tool in Tactics/Assault, the only thing you miss out on with this is the big burst increases at the top of both trees. But you could apply more consistent pressure than either a full Tactics or full Assault build could.

Zunayson
06.01.2012 , 08:42 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
Quick thought for this build... would you ever consider dropping 1 point from Ionic Accelerator to drop into Pulse Generator? So your 2 main attacks would only have a 30/40% chance to proc it, but PG would enter the equation, and with Explosive Surge you could set up 5 stacks of PG easily before most encounters.

With the way its currently bugged for VG's, that means you could open fights with a 50% stronger Sticky (almost as powerful as Assault Plastique now) along with Pulse Cannon as an option. And while fighting a healer, losing a couple of procs per fight with HiB could be made up for with the DPS increase you'd get from the random boosted Pulse Cannon and Sticky Grenades.

The other option would be to sacrifice the Snare on Gut, but I don't know if I could do that, the utility possibilities with that are just way too good.

This is what I'm thinking of.

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/skills/v...9c6ee92-c1ceif

I just really like the idea of having access to every really nice tool in Tactics/Assault, the only thing you miss out on with this is the big burst increases at the top of both trees. But you could apply more consistent pressure than either a full Tactics or full Assault build could.
The build would be too ammo intensive to be having to spam Ion pulse and use pulse cannon. PG and IA should only be used with full 2 points and 3 points (respectively).
Quote: Originally Posted by Uber_the_Goober View Post
Bioware couldn't balance a sheet of plywood if it were laying [sic] on the ground.
Quote: Originally Posted by Aragost View Post
Make sure you take 3/3 in the "knowing how to play" box

wadecounty
06.02.2012 , 05:16 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
The build would be too ammo intensive to be having to spam Ion pulse and use pulse cannon. PG and IA should only be used with full 2 points and 3 points (respectively).
The idea wouldn't be to spam for PG procs, but rather to have that as an extra tool working in the background (since its only a 50% chance). The reasoning isn't just for Pulse Cannon either, but to get the boosted Stickies (adds nice burst damage possibilities) and Mortar Volley.

Additionally, since PvP is usually based on quick fights with breaks in between, there is usually ample time to set up at least a few stacks of PG before many encounters, meaning you'll often be able to start fights with a boosted sticky and Pulse Cannon.

Morath
06.02.2012 , 08:45 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by wadecounty View Post
The idea wouldn't be to spam for PG procs, but rather to have that as an extra tool working in the background (since its only a 50% chance). The reasoning isn't just for Pulse Cannon either, but to get the boosted Stickies (adds nice burst damage possibilities) and Mortar Volley.

Additionally, since PvP is usually based on quick fights with breaks in between, there is usually ample time to set up at least a few stacks of PG before many encounters, meaning you'll often be able to start fights with a boosted sticky and Pulse Cannon.
Preloading is something I do when I go full assault and I like the idea of it being something your not focused on but when its up use the tool. I just wonder if the decrease in the percent makes too much of a difference on the HIB procs. I would guess it should be fine and worth the tradeoff.

After reading the BH forums I think given our current status with the way pg is working I think if correct the slow from the bleed is unnecarsary and actually detrimental because it may overwrite the 50% snare. So you could stick that point in PG for even more use of that tool.

Grimoir
06.04.2012 , 10:05 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Zunayson View Post
Actually, it's rather easy on ammo/heat in my experience. The ammo refund from HiB/RS along with the free SS/RP and HiB/RS procs make it easy to keep well within workable parameters for both resources. Considering how much damage is done over time without consuming ammo, you're free to use HS/RS when you go below/above the proper threshold.

IA/PPA procs more than you might think with only 2/3 points in the talent. The PG/PFT stacks are built up slower with only 1 point, but with how infrequently you'll have an opportunity to CONSUME* the stacks, you truly have nothing to worry about. This build is all about keeping on the move so PC/FT will only be used when you have 4-5 stacks and there is a large group of people or you have someone on lockdown with a stun/snare to channel 2-3 ticks before they move out of it.
~The Jykoor Legacy of The Bastion(PvP)~
Anasė - Terminal Velocity[Hybrid] Powertech - Level: 55
Jerīcho - Tactics Vanguard - Level: 55

Grimoir
06.12.2012 , 02:00 PM | #17
Looks like the point into PG will no longer be necessary or ideal considering the 'fix' to make it not effect Sticky Grenade and MV anymore. The biggest issue here is that they're taking away the glitched utility of it boosting other skills, but haven't stated whether or not the slow is being fixed on PG to balance out this 'nerf.'

Morath
06.12.2012 , 06:47 PM | #18
Why not just pull the point in hamstring and 1 point in ion acc and get 2 points in pg. The slow from hamstring is redundant with sweltering heat and you are refiring plasma cell with every Ion pulse.

Grimoir
07.10.2012 , 12:14 PM | #19
I leveled a PT a little over a month ago running pure Pyro(AS) all the way up and loved it. The high numbers flying across my screen, the insane burst potential, and the ability to take down almost any class before I die to name a few things... but after joining in RWZs, I started to feel a longing for more utility and a team-oriented build rather than just: BURSTDOWNTHISONEGUYASFASTASICAN which was pretty much all I could do as a Pyro. This feeling was amplified by the presence of another better geared Pyro in our RWZ group.

I specced back into TV and noticed a slight drop in damage(of course), but I was easily able to keep up with the top DPS in my mathces, even topping the charts when no other Pyros were around(bleh, normals). The major selling point for me is the amount of extra utility and ammo-management I get with this spec. I keep most of the good stuff from AP and am still able to get a majority of what makes Pyro.... well, Pyro.

So anyways, I thought I'd revive this thread for some more discussion. Feel free to post constructive replies regarding this spec or any of its variations.

Keypek
07.10.2012 , 12:42 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Grimoir View Post
The major selling point for me is the amount of extra utility and ammo-management I get with this spec.
I may be missing something obvious but I don't see how this has extra utility (aside from hold the line) or better ammo-management. In fact, I'd think ammo management would be worse in this spec then going all assault with paralytic stims and reduced CD on recharge cells or all tactics with the passive ammo regen and 100% chance to proc free SS instead of 30%.

I don't know, we all play differently so if it works for you thats great. But I just don't see what this is besides a lot less useful dps. I guess you can gut and IR as many people as you can and pad numbers but losing a third of your damage potential in assault just for hold the line or lose the added durability and better ammo management in tactics and large pressure dps possibilities in tactics just for IR and an extra unbuffed and neutered HiB every 6 seconds confuses me.
K'mpek/Keypek or some variation
ICE Breaker>Corellian Run>The Shadowlands
FREE play time and loot by clicking>>