Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Merc Healing LI HM-- QQ banned

KeyboardNinja
05.29.2012 , 01:55 PM | #21
I've never done this fight on my healer (a commando), but I've tanked it many times with both a scoundrel and a sage healer. The scoundrel normally puts up numbers competitive with the sage in nightmare modes, even including Salvation, so he's no slouch. Even he has trouble keeping up in the button pressing phase of Sav-Rak.

According to him though, the trick is to simply allow yourself to burn out of energy. You have to heal faster than you can regen in that phase. It sucks, but there's no other choice. The good news is that the healing is fairly light throughout the rest of the fight, provided your tank is doing a good job, so you can use that time to catch up on regen even without popping a cooldown. Sages and scoundrels have a leg up here because of their superior AoE, but I can still absolutely see a commando/merc healer being able to get through this fight.
Computer Programmer. Theory Crafter. Dragonslayer on The Ebon Hawk.
Tam (shadow tank) Tov-ren (commando healer) Aveo (combat sentinel) Nimri (df scoundrel)
Averith (hybrid sniper) Alish (lightning sorcerer) Aresham (jugg tank) Effek (ap powertech)

Aurojiin
05.29.2012 , 03:18 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by KeyboardNinja View Post
According to him though, the trick is to simply allow yourself to burn out of energy. You have to heal faster than you can regen in that phase. It sucks, but there's no other choice. The good news is that the healing is fairly light throughout the rest of the fight, provided your tank is doing a good job, so you can use that time to catch up on regen even without popping a cooldown. Sages and scoundrels have a leg up here because of their superior AoE, but I can still absolutely see a commando/merc healer being able to get through this fight.
I don't think your scoundrel would have enjoyed the last group I ran with Our DPS pushed Sav-Rak so hard he did back-to-back pipe phases; literally, the moment he returned to the platform he leapt straight back up and repeated.

Your scoundrel's comments basically agree with what I said earlier: Sages have the advantage not just because of their AOE but because the fight is short enough that despite their less-than-forgiving regen mechanics they can abuse the initial size of their resource pool with impunity.

TheEvilEeyore
05.29.2012 , 03:57 PM | #23
90% of the damage that gets taken in this fight is because people don't understand how the debuff works.

Every time that he casts his debuff he puts it on one person. It looks like a pile of poo for lack of better description. This debuff is "contagious" meaning it can spread to other members of your team IF you do not handle it properly. The debuff has a 15 meter "jump" range. so as long as you keep your people spread out at least 15 meters from each other only one person will be taking the damage from the dot. IF you have a melee in there with your tank that will probably be just fine. as it is still only 2 people.

For the pipes phase you should have your tank run to the middle pillar and dps take the other two so you can keep healing while he is doing his king kong routine.

other than that make sure you stand right on top of him for his pounces and it is rinse repeat.

Ask for any more info if you need it. but the biggest thign is handling the dot well. if it is not handle right then it will just keep spreading around and you will never lose it meaning you ahve a 2k dot on everyone for the whole fight.
Prim - 50 Jedi Sage - Krayiss Obelisk

dipstik
05.29.2012 , 04:27 PM | #24
my biggest problem is the pipe phase where pretty much everyone drops to around 20% health. the contaguious dot or whatever neve occured to me since i like to keep people stacked for aoe heals anyway.

WhiskeyGin
05.29.2012 , 05:11 PM | #25
I think the contagion dot was what was really killing me too, plus playing the Nervous Mother Hen role-- "no, no one takes any damage and we all stay topped off." Bad triage healing on my part.

Anyways, I've got my weekly LI run coming tomorrow and I plan to kick Sav-Rak's butt. Any other tips for Dr. Lorrick, or is it still just stack up near the entrance door for the burning rakghouls phase and interrupt ravage?

Aurojiin
05.29.2012 , 05:53 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by WhiskeyGin View Post
Any other tips for Dr. Lorrick, or is it still just stack up near the entrance door for the burning rakghouls phase and interrupt ravage?
Main thing is that your tank knows what he's doing. You don't technically need him at the door for phase 2, but it's just a good time to move over there and take turns knocking back adds who get too close.

Keep an eye out for the poison stacks from the AOEs in phase 1. Even if everyone successfully moves out, they can pick up stacks just by running through the residue; one time I wasn't paying enough attention and one of my DPSers managed to pick up 11 stacks Wasn't until I glanced at the chat log and noticed him screaming at me to cleanse that I realised.

Doesn't help that OP frames are awful for displaying debuffs.

snwmnx
05.30.2012 , 07:47 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Aurojiin View Post
LR-5's enrage is time-based, not percentage based. I never see it, ergo my perception that healing LR-5 is such a joke compared to Sav-Rak.
I know his enrage is time based. All enrages in this game are time based. That is why I prefaced it with "soft." Several bosses have a soft enrage:

Toth & Zorn (when one or the other dies)
Firebrand & Firecaller (a set time after one or the other dies)
Bonethrasher (if / when he eats one of the spawned adds)

During these periods, the boss isn't "enraged" (read: Hard Enrage due to time), but instead enters a period where mechanics change in some way.

In LR's particular fight, the group damage is increased significantly because he uses his mechanics much more frequently and the expanding blue fields of doom expand nearly instantly instead of over time. I am unsure about what other mechanics are different for him, but that much I know for sure.

Aurojiin
05.30.2012 , 01:41 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by snwmnx View Post
I know his enrage is time based. All enrages in this game are time based. That is why I prefaced it with "soft." Several bosses have a soft enrage:
You still misunderstand. LR-5's "soft" enrage is time based. If you kill him before 3 minutes, you will never have to deal with his plasma coils landing fully expanded. It has nothing to do with his health percentage.

JRastenn
05.30.2012 , 01:57 PM | #29
You still misunderstand. LR-5's "soft" enrage is time based. If you kill him before 3 minutes, you will never have to deal with his plasma coils landing fully expanded. It has nothing to do with his health percentage.
I thought you had 4 minutes, but either way Systems Overload is absolutely time based. I've seen it hit around 25% before when the group was doing very poorly.

WhiskeyGin
05.31.2012 , 12:52 PM | #30
So, was supposed to run LI last night. However, glorious server that I play on, everyone was either busy with Denova or too poorly geared to run LI. As well, I absolutely refuse to run the other HM's again (already gotten all columi gear for Blizz, a healer's best friend).

Anyways, to speak for a moment about the increased difficulty of the 1.2 content as opposed to the launch content, I love it. From proper CC usage to tight enrage timers to the absolute insanity of some of the encounters (tell me you kept calm and collected the first time running LR-5 or Col. Vorgath). I hope this trend continues as the main reason I even jumped over to this game from WoW was that it's difficulty kept being eroded by the casuals.

Doesn't help that OP frames are awful for displaying debuffs.
Thank you! Someone else feels my pain. I miss decursive.