Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

RIFT vs SWTOR Raiding, not PvP

Areaz
05.25.2012 , 03:04 PM | #11
Rift raiding was pretty good, but people seem to forget that their first 2 raids were a JOKE. The only good raiding Rift had was Hammerknell. It was hard, there were a lot of fights, and most of them were fun. I might still be playing Rift if some stuff hadn't come up and I didn't get left behind by my guild. Either way, you have to give games time to get their raids up to par. Everyone wants to remember the tough raids and people always forget the loleasy ones that every game has at release.

Rift has a much more aggressive content release schedule, but they also had a lot less invested in their non-endgame encounters. ToR has to deal with things across the board, so it will take them time to put out quality raids. Give them time. The progression of EV/KP > EC was very good. The EC fights felt difficult and learning them was a lot of fun. Let's hope that BW continues that trend. I also really hope to see larger Operations, Maybe 7-10 boss Ops.
Myk, Mercenary of Rapture
A 16 man Hard/Nightmare Operations Guild on The Shadowlands
http://www.rapture-guild.org

Kerraii
05.25.2012 , 03:09 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Skidrowbro View Post
Far from eltitist. Rift is a bad game. There is no challenge at all in it. They release content fairly fast which for a couple of weeks is hard as hell but then gets nerfed due to the outcry on the forums by the people who feel they are entitled to all the content without any effort.
This does not mean that the Raid concept is bad nor the game. But them nerfing the content is bad when they cater to the players that whine the most. I do agree that nerfing any raid because it is hard is an option, they do need to stop nerfing the hell out of the good ideas they have and just make players work for the rewards. History shows that players like a challenge and not spoon fed. Though some players just don't understand the idea of working for the enjoyment of success.

alifaraaz
05.25.2012 , 04:58 PM | #13
Well TORs raids are getting better. Mainly EC. They added some small new mechanics or changes from Story to Hard, and are doing the same for Nightmare to make it harder still. Wheras EV/KP yeah they were pretty lame throughout.

EC nightmare will also have new gear, which is a plus.

As for 8 vs 16. I sort of agree, I sort of dont. There should be a small reward, a difference in gear. But I would be happy, heck I'd even prefer if it was just a visual thing, like gear's colour. But then with 1.3 you can wear whatever you want and augment it, making the visuals not too important (unless of they actually make some ****** looking endgame gear).

I think having the same area to play wth 16man part of the challenge. It's easy to move out of random red circles when the area is nice and empty. It's harder when theres more people around with their own red circles.
But yeah, that extra challenge should be awarded with something...maybe a small stat increase in the armouring alone. (So as not to make it complete tier ahead).
Kazar - Powertech, [Tomb of Freedom Nadd EU]

Typeslice
05.25.2012 , 05:53 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Ganrax View Post
As opposed to what? SWTOR's 2 Tier 1 8/16 man jokes of raids that can be completed in 30-40 min and they're 1 real raid that will more than likely get nerfed so that the bad players can clear it too?

At least in Rift you had actual mechanics on most of your boss fights instead of a simple "kill the boss before 5 minutes are up and don't stand in aoe". I personally enjoyed the raiding in Rift a hell of a lot more than SWTOR, it actually took some attempts and coordination to figure out a boss fight before you downed it, in SWTOR they are all mind numbingly boring and forgiving except for the 4 in EC and all you mainly have to worry about is the enrage timer.
What raids are you finishing in 30 min? The 6 month old one that you're probably over geared for?
Xaph'an / A'baddon - GM of Undercon
The Shadowlands
http://undercon.guildlaunch.com

Ganrax
05.25.2012 , 06:24 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Typeslice View Post
What raids are you finishing in 30 min? The 6 month old one that you're probably over geared for?
We were clearing EV and KP in under 40 minutes each in Hard Mode while we were still gearing up in it, whenever we go back to get people's alts gear it is even faster. The only thing that ever kept people held up back then was the fight stopping bugs, especially in EV. They are not hard in the slightest, as long as you have the correct gear required and half a brain you can breeze through them. I'm not saying Rift's entry level raids were any different, they were easy too, but at least they had fun and interesting mechanics instead of a simple "don't stand in aoe" and "kill the boss before 5 minutes is up".

krinaman
05.26.2012 , 11:43 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Kerraii View Post
History shows that players like a challenge and not spoon fed.
What alternate universe are you living in?

hulkweazel
05.26.2012 , 11:52 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Skidrowbro View Post
I don't think Bioware took into account that there are players who do nothing but min/max their raids and that's all they live for. SWToR doesn't appear to be a raiding game and they took the chance on that people would take the time to level and not rush to the end
Yeah you're right, BW didn't take into account that players don't like running the same boring dailies over and over or leveling an alt through the exact same uninspired single player content over and over again. Who would have thought?

When the only thing there is to do is raiding, and it sucks, then you have a problem.

Molik
05.26.2012 , 12:34 PM | #18
Rift sucked, all it was was WOW with a new skin, but hey if you like it you like. I for one do not.

I have raided EQ2, WOW, Rift, and SWTOR as the raid breakdown goes its

EQ2>WOW>SWTOR>RIft

Sorry but rift is such a semi par product that not only did most of its player base leave due to it being a wow clone, they left teh game cause it just plain was just balls.

And you all must be on the wrong server, and as for 40 mins to clear SWTOR raids i mean i could say a hr or so but not 40 mins, i mean you could get lucky and do that once, but not all the time

Sorry SWTOR>RIFT!!
BETA TESTER

"Beating CE VIP's with darkside madness"

Molik
05.26.2012 , 12:37 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Ganrax View Post
We were clearing EV and KP in under 40 minutes each in Hard Mode while we were still gearing up in it, whenever we go back to get people's alts gear it is even faster. The only thing that ever kept people held up back then was the fight stopping bugs, especially in EV. They are not hard in the slightest, as long as you have the correct gear required and half a brain you can breeze through them. I'm not saying Rift's entry level raids were any different, they were easy too, but at least they had fun and interesting mechanics instead of a simple "don't stand in aoe" and "kill the boss before 5 minutes is up".
Screenshot or It didnt happen. I call bS on this. Maybe 40 min in Rakata gear , but if you were still gearing up in KP/EV HM's i doubt that you cleared it within the 40 min window.

"They are not hard in the slightest, as long as you have the correct gear required" right there i call bs, cause you just contradicted your own statement "We were clearing EV and KP in under 40 minutes each in Hard Mode while we were still gearing up in it"

Yea BS!!!
BETA TESTER

"Beating CE VIP's with darkside madness"

Areaz
05.26.2012 , 02:41 PM | #20
The only good thing about EQ2 raiding was contesteds and all the **** talking. Aside from that every fight was: Joust AoE, kill adds, kill boss.
Myk, Mercenary of Rapture
A 16 man Hard/Nightmare Operations Guild on The Shadowlands
http://www.rapture-guild.org