Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

RIFT vs SWTOR Raiding, not PvP

Kerraii
05.25.2012 , 02:00 PM | #1
Don't get me wrong, but hear me out a little.

RIFT raiding is better. I am pretty sure every raider will agree if they have played both.

One of the biggest issues is the easiest fix for Bioware...Create gear worthy of a 16 man raid. RIFT has 20 man raids that give appropriate gear for the 20 man raid. Everyone does not need to get a piece, just drop better gear then the 8 man raids. If they can adjust Valor and all pvp gear across the board they could easily add in 16 man raid gear that is better then the 8 man.

Second comparison: RIFT raid Bosses are better. They are more involved and need much better coordination in the Raid. Simple as that. Now the SWTOR Bosses are ok but there is truly no difference between the various levels, normal, 8 man, 16 man other then harder hits and more hp. The mechanics are still the same and basically take no challenge to learn other then gear checks.
Yes RIFT raids have gear checks but the Bosses DO NOT REPEAT. They have different Bosses.

Lastly as mentioned above. The RIFT raids progress from 5 man to 20 man. Yet the raid zones are also expanded. This does not happen in SWTOR. The raid zone is static, the layout is the same with the exact same npc's. RIFT expands the raid zone and adds in NEW Bosses with different mechanics and NEW Gear.

All of the RIFT raiding systems promotes continuous raiding and PROGRESSION to get better gear and work the players up to the next raid and so on. Sure eventually all raid content does get completed but in SWTOR the FACT of NO better gear between 8 man and 16 man gear , why bother with the next step? Why bang your head into the wall only to not gain a single thing from cracking your skull.

Bioware. Please look at RIFT. If only to see how to create a raid. Expand operations or Flashpoints in a way so a 16 man raid actually would be fun and challenging. Worth the effort to do and progress the gear in such a way to create continued returning to the Op or Fp.

It is a simple request and imoo a simple thing to actually do. Take the coding you have for all the ops and mash them into 2 NEW 16 man Raid planets...Not ones that you just zone in from the Space Stations. But ones where the players travel from the space station land on a planet and THEN MUST travel by public speeder to the raid zone location.

Oh and if you took some ideas from thet Mythic crew you might still have. Make one of these or add in another where both factions can run it at the same time and fight for rights to gain entrance to the bosses populated in the game. Maybe have a way so if one faction is in a boss fight, the other can circle around to the next and so on.

This should not be easy mode and yet should not also take more then 10 minutes to get to

Skidrowbro
05.25.2012 , 02:06 PM | #2
You are joking right? Raiding in rift better? You mean the 30 min 10 man raids or the 45 min 20 man raids? Oh wait, they release one really hard raid for the hardcores to eat up for a couple of weeks then nerf it so the really bad players in that game can accomplish it

harry_kpotter
05.25.2012 , 02:10 PM | #3
The points about 8 and 16 man raids are valid though. there is no incentive to doing 16 man and the ops are pretty static between the two modes.
Boss encounters are boring and repetitive but I cant comment if rift is any better as i haven't played it. WoW boss encounters are much more interesting for sure.

Skidrowbro
05.25.2012 , 02:13 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by harry_kpotter View Post
The points about 8 and 16 man raids are valid though. there is no incentive to doing 16 man and the ops are pretty static between the two modes.
Boss encounters are boring and repetitive but I cant comment if rift is any better as i haven't played it. WoW boss encounters are much more interesting for sure.
I don't think Bioware took into account that there are players who do nothing but min/max their raids and that's all they live for. SWToR doesn't appear to be a raiding game and they took the chance on that people would take the time to level and not rush to the end

Mashy
05.25.2012 , 02:17 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Skidrowbro View Post
You are joking right? Raiding in rift better? You mean the 30 min 10 man raids or the 45 min 20 man raids? Oh wait, they release one really hard raid for the hardcores to eat up for a couple of weeks then nerf it so the really bad players in that game can accomplish it
Spoken like a true elitist. In while a you will say the same thing about TOR on some other forum... and then the next game and then the next etc etc...

Skidrowbro
05.25.2012 , 02:22 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Mashy View Post
Spoken like a true elitist. In while a you will say the same thing about TOR on some other forum... and then the next game and then the next etc etc...
Far from eltitist. Rift is a bad game. There is no challenge at all in it. They release content fairly fast which for a couple of weeks is hard as hell but then gets nerfed due to the outcry on the forums by the people who feel they are entitled to all the content without any effort.

Mallorik
05.25.2012 , 02:29 PM | #7
As far as technicality and innovation? I think Rift is much better, but its only because rift has been out longer, Rift raids have been getting better with each one, But imo they still werent quite equal to wow raids as of hammer knell but they are getting closer.

Imo building intricate and complicated raids take experience you only get from building and analizing raids. And im not saying swtor raids are bad, theyre just young and someone that has been progression raiding for many years can tell.

rymah
05.25.2012 , 02:32 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Mashy View Post
Not constructive to the post, labeling someone an elitist for giving an opinion of the subject at hand without expressing your own opinion comes off as pure contrarianism.

EV is kinda boring, the pylons are not nearly as rough as they used to be once they fixed the game breaking bugs, and the only hard part about SOA is getting your raid to the next level during transition phases.

KP has it's moments, especially during plan D, and the fabricator fight, otherwise it's not too rough.

EC...I hate this raid, Toth and Zorn suck to tank, Firebrand and Stormcaller suck because of their mechanics...the minefield is fun, at least for me because i'm usually the clicker...but Kephess...ugh he sucks

I never raided in Rift so I couldn't tell you what they were like, but that game wasn't very fun once the invasion novelty wore off.
Minister of Propaganda, Deadly Shenanigans
Drooga's Pleasure Barge / Lord Praven / Squadron 238
The Shadowedsoul Legacy
~ immortalis imperator veneremur ~

Navaris
05.25.2012 , 02:36 PM | #9
Rift was a bit... Eh. The raids were decent and progression was fairly easy. However, I'm finding SWTOR more difficult than Rift which is fairly nice. Might be because though my server is pretty low on population and that we do 16 so there is a ton of carrying which make the raids a bit more intense.

Ganrax
05.25.2012 , 02:39 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Skidrowbro View Post
As opposed to what? SWTOR's 2 Tier 1 8/16 man jokes of raids that can be completed in 30-40 min and they're 1 real raid that will more than likely get nerfed so that the bad players can clear it too?

At least in Rift you had actual mechanics on most of your boss fights instead of a simple "kill the boss before 5 minutes are up and don't stand in aoe". I personally enjoyed the raiding in Rift a hell of a lot more than SWTOR, it actually took some attempts and coordination to figure out a boss fight before you downed it, in SWTOR they are all mind numbingly boring and forgiving except for the 4 in EC and all you mainly have to worry about is the enrage timer.