Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Stuck Armstech at Level 60

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
Stuck Armstech at Level 60

beatfeet's Avatar


beatfeet
05.25.2012 , 04:49 AM | #1
How do I get armstech leveled past 60? I realized I did not have investigation, but underworld trading by mistake, so I picked that skill up. I am not seeing anything to craft that is not grey. Do I have to investigate to learn new weapon schematics so I can start crafting gear higher than CL9?

Hi_Im_A_Sith's Avatar


Hi_Im_A_Sith
05.25.2012 , 04:52 AM | #2
You need to go to the npc on the fleet in the crew skills section for armstech. You can buy more schematics there.

Erevan_Kindelar's Avatar


Erevan_Kindelar
05.25.2012 , 04:52 AM | #3
You need to talk to your Armstech trainer, he/she will have new schematics that you can learn... for a price, of course.
I am telling the truth, honestly! I am as honest as the day is long! Besides, I am a terrible liar, everyone can see when I am lying - my lips are moving.
Like most other subs, I have a Referral Link. Clicking it gets you some stuff, and me some stuff too.

SelinaH's Avatar


SelinaH
05.25.2012 , 04:58 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by beatfeet View Post
How do I get armstech leveled past 60? I realized I did not have investigation, but underworld trading by mistake, so I picked that skill up. I am not seeing anything to craft that is not grey. Do I have to investigate to learn new weapon schematics so I can start crafting gear higher than CL9?
Have you checked with the Armstech trainer to see if there are additional schematics you can learn? As you level up, options to purchase new schematics should become available to you. Try grabbing one with a requirement of 60 (since that's where you are now) - it should be orange difficulty, which will give you two points per craft to start. Remember that as your skill increases, you need to make more and more difficult items to progress.

Orange - 2 points
Yellow - 1 or 2 points
Green - 1 point
Grey - 0 points
"Homogeneity breeds weakness: theoretical blind spots, stale paradigms, an echo-chamber mentality, and cults of personality. A diverse dramatis personae is a powerful tonic against these ailments." -V.S. Ramachandran
"Relax. Stupidity produces antibodies." -Susie Derkins

beatfeet's Avatar


beatfeet
05.25.2012 , 07:21 AM | #5
Thanks very much for the replies. I don't know why it never occurred to me to check there and I had not seen this question answered on the Crew Skills forums. I appreciate it.

MDresidentx's Avatar


MDresidentx
11.03.2017 , 11:41 PM | #6
This crew skill system is nonsense/pure insanity! I'm spending literally hours crafting pieces. Will a 160 schematic take me the rest of the way or will I have to comeback for more schematics somewhere between 600? I"m at 600/600 on Scavenging and Investigation and I'm getting tired of this...

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
11.04.2017 , 04:32 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by MDresidentx View Post
This crew skill system is nonsense/pure insanity! I'm spending literally hours crafting pieces. Will a 160 schematic take me the rest of the way or will I have to comeback for more schematics somewhere between 600? I"m at 600/600 on Scavenging and Investigation and I'm getting tired of this...
Yes, of course you will, just like those folks did five years ago.

This is not GW2 where you learn basic refining and component recipes automatically and learn how to make finished items by trying things at a crafting table. (But even there, refining recipes grey out long before you learn the next ones, so you must make *something* beyond just refining materials to learn those next ones.)

In SWTOR, the trainers sell schematics, and if you don't go back to learn the next ones, then yes, 160 is where you get stuck, when the first tier bonded attachments or similar things grey out and stop giving points.

And no, it isn't nonsense. It's one of the few remaining credit sinks, along with the "white" materials.

Go see the Armstech trainer. If he has new recipes for you to learn, there will be a little green plus by the cut-diamond symbol above his head.

EDIT: Addendum: In general, only the bonded attachments and similar (Arms Components?) will give "experience" for more than about half a grade. A Component will only give experience until the end of the following grade, so a 160 component (Grade 3) will stop giving experience when you reach the beginning of Grade 5 at 300.

The grades are:
1: 1-79
2: 80-159
3: 160-239
4: 240-299
5: 300-349
6: 350-399
7: 400-449
8: 450-499
9: 500-549
10: 550-600
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
11.04.2017 , 09:47 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by SteveTheCynic View Post
EDIT: Addendum: In general, only the bonded attachments and similar (Arms Components?) will give "experience" for more than about half a grade. A Component will only give experience until the end of the following grade, so a 160 component (Grade 3) will stop giving experience when you reach the beginning of Grade 5 at 300.

The grades are:
1: 1-79
2: 80-159
3: 160-239
4: 240-299
5: 300-349
6: 350-399
7: 400-449
8: 450-499
9: 500-549
10: 550-600
While what SteveTheCynic says is true, to power level a crew skill you want to use orange difficulty items as much as possible because you get 4 skill points per item crafted and you want to use green difficulty as little as possible because you only have a chance to get 1 skill point (high chance yes, but not 100%). When I last power leveled a crafting skill this is what I did and my results (Each "pass" consists of crafting 40 components (eight companions crafting five components each)):

grade 1 - 2 passes = skill 110
grade 2 - 1 pass = skill 171
grade 3 - 1 pass = skill 243
grade 4 - 1 pass = skill 308
grade 5 - 1 pass = skill 364
grade 6 - 1 pass = skill 408
grade 7 - 1 pass = skill 459
grade 8 - 1 pass = skill 516
grade 9 - 1 pass = skill 560
grade 10 - .5 pass = skill 600

depending on the influence of your companions you can get the first seven grades done in an hour (and I am NOT talking about all rank 50 either, more like average rank 20). The remaining three grades (8, 9, & 10) I setup a pass and switched characters.
The Ortzid Legacy on The Harbinger
Car'beerd (Guardian) Dalkery (Scoundrel) Blairnah (Sage) Daellia (Merc) and 11 other characters
Understanding Crew Skills / High End Schematics / Best Crew Skills / Crew Skill Money Making / Reverse Engineering Rules / SWTOR Story to date

SteveTheCynic's Avatar


SteveTheCynic
11.05.2017 , 06:10 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by psandak View Post
While what SteveTheCynic says is true, to power level a crew skill you want to use orange difficulty items as much as possible because you get 4 skill points per item crafted and you want to use green difficulty as little as possible because you only have a chance to get 1 skill point (high chance yes, but not 100%).
I was specifically addressing the expectation of being able to use a 160-level schematic to go all the way to 600, as the other poster was asking, and pointing out that it's impossible, and *why* it's impossible.
http://www.swtor.com/r/Hg3sV2
To go to Belsavis, you must go to Belsavis.
> @"Biff.5312" said:
> Exercise your whimsy.

MDresidentx's Avatar


MDresidentx
12.14.2017 , 10:18 PM | #10
StevetehCynic and Psandak,

First, thanks for your comments. Since we last talked I've completed all but one of 8 characters to 600. The hardest part was getting the material. I do have the following questions about the core crew skills(biochem, artifice, etc)

1. I noticed the 1 and 4 difference but I noticed also if I waited to upgrade the schematic I could take if further up the tree. Example. I took the 1 level one to almost 160 or so before it stopped give return. Can you confirm this?
2. Where do you get the next level crafting materials? Iokath stuff seems to be the endgame material but I have not come across it anywhere.
3. I noticed grey, orange and green. Are there any circumstances where grey will still give value/points?