Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Grammar in Chat

Darth_Rathus
05.24.2012 , 05:21 PM | #11
Yes.

/

Darth_Gao_Gao
05.24.2012 , 05:27 PM | #12
OP, you are a nerfherder who thinks his college education is actually of importance. maybe when you get out of school and enter the real world, you'll realize the cold hard truth: nobody cares, especially on The Internet.

since you sound like a stuffy english major, i'll help you out here: i'd like a grande mocha, with a twist of soy milk. thanks.

edit: i'd like a bit of foam on top, as well. thanks again!

Alexi_son
05.24.2012 , 05:29 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Gao_Gao View Post
OP, you are a nerfherder who thinks his college education is actually of importance. maybe when you get out of school and enter the real world, you'll realize the cold hard truth: nobody cares, especially on The Internet.

since you sound like a stuffy english major, i'll help you out here: i'd like a grande mocha, with a twist of soy milk. thanks.

ROFL - well said.

Mallorik
05.24.2012 , 05:30 PM | #14
Whether its right or wrong when i see what used to be called "leet speak" but now is just a comon way younger people communicate in text messages it makes me instantly think that the person is an idiot and has nothing to say that i care to read.

As far as punctuation or typos, i could care less. Its a game people are playing the game , not writing an essay or a news paper article.

sambeta
05.24.2012 , 05:31 PM | #15
The questions one asks often reflect more upon their character rather than their grammer. Some people simply don't have the time to type out full sentences with full stops when they're in the middle of a battle or just looking for a group. Short hand has it's place.

Dekkau
05.24.2012 , 05:32 PM | #16
If the communication fails then it is not communication. Making an assumption that people understand carries more issue depending on the consequence. That is totally subjective and the decision of the person communicating. Personally I would never run the risk of folk not understanding, but then I would not talk regarding an issue that I did not understand. I actually don't know how to use text talk as I don't use mobile phones.. So all the short hand stuff is meaningless to me. In truth I couldn't care less... I never even read the chat pane... Its way too high up on my screen. If it's anything like WoW its all kiddy nonsense anyway. I wouldn't let it get to you.

DbDBear
05.24.2012 , 05:32 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Gao_Gao View Post

LoL That is what I was thinking ... How many Elite College Grads I have known in my life that had to learn the phrase "Would you like Fries with that?"

Polyneux
05.24.2012 , 05:41 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by sambeta View Post
The questions one asks often reflect more upon their character rather than their grammer. Some people simply don't have the time to type out full sentences with full stops when they're in the middle of a battle or just looking for a group. Short hand has it's place.
What I'm really gearing towards is the city and fleet arguments, where all parties involved are clearly just sitting around, not in battle, and trying to argue about the effectiveness of a Sorcerer, or something of that nature.

Quote:

Whether or not I am an "Elite College Grad" or whether or not I work at Starbucks is not the issue. If "nobody" cared then the argument would not exist. I wouldn't see it every day. I wouldn't be annotating research studies about the effect of texting and computer literacy on academic literacy (there are thousands).

I'm simply saying that if someone uses poor grammar than there is a strong likelihood that they did not or have not been in a situation that has asked them to do so. If you're suggesting by your highly antagonistic statement that you did not go to college or are not asked in your daily life to use proper grammar, then your very post supports the previous statement.

If you -have- gone to college and -are- asked to type professionally on a daily basis, my question is why wouldn't you, especially in a forum where you clearly have enough time to formulate an opinion.

Neither event is an attack on you or anyone else

Pirana
05.24.2012 , 05:42 PM | #19
It's a game, lighten up.
The Journey Is Often Greater Than The Destination - Pirana

krisknife
05.24.2012 , 05:45 PM | #20
exactly, game = entertainment, your very post has caused you much stress, why do this to yourself? Do you think that by being a "nazi" your peers will fall in line to your way of thought? Enjoy life!! Live , laugh and love, my friend, everything else is inconsequential most especially grammar.