Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Grammar in Chat


Esproc's Avatar


Esproc
05.31.2012 , 03:59 AM | #141
Quote: Originally Posted by a_birdbird View Post
You youngs have such a bizarrely twisted picture of anyone over 30! It's quite absurd.

I was learning to code basic at the age of 11 in 1982, during summer programs, and was regularly using computers for gaming (TRS 80, anyone?) at home. By about 1987, word processors, including portable word-processors were fairly commonplace. Most families I knew had one.
Um, my first computer was a trash 64. My friend later got himself a commodore 126 which was the bomb. Used to go and work the BBC and nibble what programs we could get our hands on

I still miss Pong.
In this Age of Information, Ignorance is a Choice!

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
05.31.2012 , 11:53 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by Sauska View Post
People with English as a second language, make less grammar and spelling mistakes than native English speakers. So unfortunalely, YOUR argument is invalid.
lol, English is not my first language, but I've been told a few times that I write better than some native speakers. Got a special mention because I never confuse "it's" with "its"

In all seriousness, I think it has to do with the fact that "we" (non english speakers) have to put some effort when we write, so we need to think a bit more. Add to that, in my case at least, being a bit self-conscious about it , which makes me be more careful.

*checks grammar and spelling*

*posts*

Sauska's Avatar


Sauska
05.31.2012 , 03:13 PM | #143
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
lol, English is not my first language, but I've been told a few times that I write better than some native speakers. Got a special mention because I never confuse "it's" with "its"

In all seriousness, I think it has to do with the fact that "we" (non english speakers) have to put some effort when we write, so we need to think a bit more. Add to that, in my case at least, being a bit self-conscious about it , which makes me be more careful.

*checks grammar and spelling*

*posts*
I'm guessing the bold bit should be something like "have to make some effort" or "have to put in some effort".

Your friendly neighbourhood fellow non-native poster
The Borealis Legacy

MMornard's Avatar


MMornard
05.31.2012 , 06:44 PM | #144
So "using proper English" is now "elitism."

* cries *

PalihoJ's Avatar


PalihoJ
06.01.2012 , 12:43 AM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by MMornard View Post
So "using proper English" is now "elitism."

* cries *
No, but IMO thinking less of people who do not use your interpretation of "proper English" is elitism.

Steele_dk's Avatar


Steele_dk
06.01.2012 , 03:35 AM | #146
You know what OP, i was indeed a former Grammar Police officer (juvenile division) and you know what i realised?

Once i quit the force, my life became much more happier

So theres tons of people out there who dont or cant spell properly and we are properly seing a whole new breed of these ppl infecting others on various forums and such...

Its their problem m8 And once you let go of trying to correct everyone (unless youre a teacher) you will find yourself much more less frustrated

It worked for me, and sometimes when someones spell utterly poorly in guild chat, the rest of us just follow through and we all laugh about it instead of before where i would swing my police club.

Safe trips in the internet m8, just enjoy your ride, dont bother with others

Y-Yorle's Avatar


Y-Yorle
06.01.2012 , 03:56 AM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by wainot-keel View Post
lol, English is not my first language, but I've been told a few times that I write better than some native speakers. Got a special mention because I never confuse "it's" with "its"

In all seriousness, I think it has to do with the fact that "we" (non english speakers) have to put some effort when we write, so we need to think a bit more. Add to that, in my case at least, being a bit self-conscious about it , which makes me be more careful.

*checks grammar and spelling*

*posts*
Lol, that made me think of when I heard someone say about knowing the difference between "your ****" and "you're ****". :P

Edit: seems there is a censoring active here on the forums. The **** stands for something nasty we all drop in the bowl of our toilet. With apologies for using a censored word in a funny context. xD
The Guiran Legacy
Providence | Conflict | Proselytism
Catch me @ http://www.twitch.tv/elendus
Heliste | Pyron | K'rdas | Elendus | Judia | Pretho | Nirav

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
06.01.2012 , 05:04 AM | #148
Quote: Originally Posted by Sauska View Post
I'm guessing the bold bit should be something like "have to make some effort" or "have to put in some effort".

Your friendly neighbourhood fellow non-native poster
orly ???? u learn smth nu everyday tbh

HelinCarnate's Avatar


HelinCarnate
06.01.2012 , 06:07 AM | #149
The OP was weigh two long and eye did not read it. But what eye really hate is when people use words that sound the same, but are spelled different.
Dear BW,
Please nerf paper and buff rock. Scissors is fine as is.
Signed, Rock.
http://www.swtor.com/r/mB5FPn obligatory referral link.

ZaRree's Avatar


ZaRree
06.01.2012 , 06:28 AM | #150
people often use language to feel superior to others.
Like spelling/grammar has anything to do with intelligence *sight*
If you can't understand what the other person is trying to communicate then by all means ask him/her to clarify.
Language is mostly about repetition and mindless gaping (no offense intended), I could ask you if p=np in return.

Do you understand this? "I has problem wit this bos can u help me"
I'm guessing most of u do, so whats the freaking problem?

CONTEXT!
Oh please I'm no hero, just rational.