Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What does "MMO" stand for?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
What does "MMO" stand for?

Gungan
05.24.2012 , 08:51 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kubernetic View Post
It's basic translation is Massively Multiplayer Online. Massively was really a differentiator from Multiplayer which were usually limited to anywhere from 2 to 16 or maybe 32 players at once in an area, as I remember it.

So when people refer to SWTOR as an MMO, I think having 2500 people at once able to be in the same area as massively enough. I'd love it to be larger in scope, but I guess that's up to the optimization and engine teams.
You can't have 2500 people in the same area in this game. You can't even have 100, because the game will spawn multiple instances of the zone and segregate you all. The entire game is about segregating the playerbase into their own little rooms so they can feel like their decisions matter, but they never do.

wolfmith
05.24.2012 , 08:54 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Lurchy View Post
Haha nice touch from the moderators they trolled the OP troll by placing his thread in New Player Help
LOOOOL epic
Slancerk | Wolfmith
Kyrar Kote Legions Of Lettow
Proud PvP Player -
981h of playtime (26/05) powered by ASUS ROG G74SX

Kubernetic
05.24.2012 , 11:31 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Gungan View Post
You can't have 2500 people in the same area in this game. You can't even have 100, because the game will spawn multiple instances of the zone and segregate you all. The entire game is about segregating the playerbase into their own little rooms so they can feel like their decisions matter, but they never do.
Some instancing is done, yes, but not at the 100 level. I've been on instances of the Fleet and others where there were 200+ people in one instance. And I'm not sure how that would interact if it was 200 Republics and 200 Imperials at the Nar Shaddaa Promenade where both groups can mingle together.

But the presence of instancing doesn't change it from being an MMO, especially since you're in the same instance chat-wise if not character-wise, and can switch instances at will.
Tekay —— En-ki —— Tékay —— Hassle —— Jaksen
Explorer (80%) • Killer (53%) • Socializer (47%) • Achiever (20%)
Excited Star Citizen — But ready to resubscribe when and if...

narkedoff
05.24.2012 , 01:07 PM | #14
MMO = Mostly Men Online

MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls

zejaie
05.24.2012 , 06:47 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Photoshop View Post
Lol, they really need to merge some servers.
-What should I mentally prepare for as a new healer?
People thinking that you heal them out in spite of any **** they do!

DarthNuke
05.24.2012 , 06:50 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Photoshop View Post
Everyone calls Swtor an "MMO" but what does mmo mean?
Typically it's a massive multiplayer online game.

I know thats what I bought. But on Infinity Gate, it's more like a single player online game. Is that fraud? Or like....bait and switch even?

LarryRow
05.25.2012 , 06:52 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by narkedoff View Post
MMO = Mostly Men Online

MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Role Playing Girls
Ben "Yahtzee" Crenshaw: Massively Multiplayer Online Rage-Producing Gobbledygook

westrunzil
05.25.2012 , 11:03 AM | #18
Yes, Swtor have population issues right now but game will be fine, soon we will have server merges and character transfers but till then if you want some company while playing come to Lord Calypho, we have more than 8 players at any time