Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What was the logic behind choosing which crew skills can craft augment kits?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Crew Skills
What was the logic behind choosing which crew skills can craft augment kits?

murshawursha
05.23.2012 , 08:22 AM | #1
So I'm all for allowing the addition of augment slots to any item, but I'm not really clear on why Armormech, Armstech, and Synthweaving were chosen as the only crafting skills able to make augment kits. On the surface it seems like the goal was to enhance the viability of crafting skills at endgame (and in fairness, for those three, it does), but in reality, it screws over Artifice, Biochem, and Cybertech.

Example: My main is an Artifice. As of now, pre-1.3, if somebody wants a lightsaber with an augment slot, they HAVE to buy it from me (or another Artifice). If somebody wants an implant with an augment slot, or an earpiece with an augment slot, they have to buy it from a Biochemist or a Cybertech, respectively. Augmented force armor comes from a synthweaver, guns from an armstech, and normal armor from an armormech. So every crew skill has control over their respective items when it comes to augment slots.

Post-1.3, if somebody wants a lightsaber with an augment slot... They buy a kit from an Armstech, Armormech, or Synthweaver, bypassing my artifice completely and cutting off a huge source of potential revenue. How is this in any way fair? Why did they not simply make it so Artifice makes augment kits usable only on lightsabers/relics, biochem makes kits usable only on implants, cybertech makes kits usable only on earpieces, synthweaving makes kits usable only on force armor, etc? That way, each crafting skill maintains the same role in the market for augmented gear that they do now. Instead, Bioware chose to cut half the crafting skills completely out of the market for augmented gear. Makes zero sense to me.

Mathias_Varr
05.23.2012 , 08:34 AM | #2
And you're forgetting the part where they could probably agument Relics with them. Rakata Augmented Relics are some of the best in game, and were unique to Artificers. Now everyone will be running around with Augmented Campaign, and the one perk to being Artifice is gone.

hyuplee
05.23.2012 , 08:44 AM | #3
Artificers? You still got crystals and relic to craft.

Cybertech's got literally nothing.

nothing that they can sell.

Still, I'll have to agree, I really don't see the logic behind this augment kit thing, and if I actually have to answer your question, I'd say probably the crew skill that people whine the hardest. I dont see nearly enough people crying over how useless cybertech is, therefore it keeps getting forgotten.

I'll bet my last dollar that they're basing this entire patch on player responses, which is not always very accurate.

DakotaDoc
05.23.2012 , 08:49 AM | #4
Why don't they hold the ability to create augment kits to only those skills that can make the base items. Am i making too much sense here?

Heezdedjim
05.23.2012 , 10:42 AM | #5
To be fair, I've read some posts recently reporting that BW is tossing around figures like a 50K baseline credit cost to add the aug slot using the table. If that's the ballpark at-cost price for self-service aug'ing up an orange item, then crafters are still going to have a substantial market undercutting the price of DIY aug'ing.

Especially if people are happy to (or actually want to) wear lower level aug'ed gear and don't care about or hate the skins on endgame items, crafters may be able to turn out many aug'ed orange items by crit crafting at far lower cost than the item+kit+table fee. That would mean that DIY aug'ing is really only going to apply to items with a huge baseline cost, such that 50K (or whatever it is) becomes only a marginal expense of completing the piece, and nobody could ever afford to get aug'ed items by grinding multiples of them hoping for crits.

Also, assuming in the worst case than kits are cheaper than grinding for crits; just roll an alt to make kits for yourself, then aug your own crafted stock, and sell it. It encourages you to roll alts in order to self supply and maintain your cost structure, but that's nothing new; we already had other dependencies like needing slicing to support all our crafting skills with schematics, and all the aug'ing profs with the epic purple mats needed for level 22s.

ElJako
05.23.2012 , 10:47 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Mathias_Varr View Post
And you're forgetting the part where they could probably agument Relics with them. Rakata Augmented Relics are some of the best in game, and were unique to Artificers. Now everyone will be running around with Augmented Campaign, and the one perk to being Artifice is gone.
Yeah, I just spent the last week running dailies to get another chance at RE'ing a Campaign Relic. Finally got it, so I can make the BoE ones for anyone, but I'll have to get my Armstech character to make Augment slots for it. That's not fair, considering they're asking an artificer that invested the time to LEARN the Campaign schems to invest even more time (or money) into an augment kit or a character that can make them.

murshawursha
05.23.2012 , 11:05 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Heezdedjim View Post
To be fair, I've read some posts recently reporting that BW is tossing around figures like a 50K baseline credit cost to add the aug slot using the table. If that's the ballpark at-cost price for self-service aug'ing up an orange item, then crafters are still going to have a substantial market undercutting the price of DIY aug'ing.
The problem I see with that is, as an Artifice, I can make a grand total of four orange lightsabers of each type (single/double bladed), so eight saber skins total. 4 of those 8 cost 3 biometric crystal alloys each. The other four are at best plain, and at worst ugly, skins.

So in a sense, yeah, you're correct that for people who don't care a lick about the skin of their saber, I might still be able to make money selling crit-crafted versions of the ones that DON'T require BMAs... For the ones that do, at a cost of 3 BMAs per attempt, it's really never going to be cost-effective to craft and sell those.

And I'd predict that most people are just going to take their Battlemaster/War Hero/Columi/Rakata/Campaign saber and add an augment slot to that for 50k + cost of an augment kit, rather than spending 150k+ to strip the mods out of a PvP or raiding saber and insert them into a custom orange saber that is, in all likelihood, uglier than the PvP or raid saber they're removing the mods from in the first place.

GnatB
05.23.2012 , 04:50 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by hyuplee View Post
I dont see nearly enough people crying over how useless cybertech is, therefore it keeps getting forgotten.
Possibly because cybertechs still have a lock on spaceship parts? Say what you will, but my cybertech is one of my richest characters, almost all due to spaceship part sales.

edit:
Once 1.3 comes through, artifice will drop even lower, but next on the bottom will probably be armstech. The new augment system pretty much sucks for all the equipment crafters. They should (have?) made the augment kits:
1. Slot restricted. Armor crafters can create kits for armor slots, biochems for implant slots, cybertech for earpieces, art/arms for weapon slots
2. Quality restricted. Need to RE purples to get purple mats to create a purple augment kit that adds an augment slot that can accept purple augments.

As it is, 10 lvl 49 green bracers = augment slot kit. Quite possibly cheaper/faster to churn those out than it is currently to churn out augmented oranges. (Seriously, 40 green grade 6 mats and 20 white grade 6 ones, vs. 70 grade 2 green mats, 30 grade 2 blue mats, and 20 grate 2 white ones?

The augment kits is gonna be a nasty blow to crafting. I'd not be singing it's praises in envy.

edit2: And heck, the mats for a bracers is 2, 2, and 2. odds are pretty good you're going to get at least 25% of the "non-white" mats back when you do the RE.

Feoktist
06.15.2012 , 12:50 AM | #9
Artificers, cybertechs and biochems have a HUGE source of revenue from 61 mods / enhancements / ears. I sold enhancements and mods for like 20kk net. And now they give a chance to other crafters to earn some. I see this a fair choice.
UPD: Aye forgot about the relics the artificers can craft, too. That's a nice offer to people hating dailies.
Nightmare Lands EX-Star Wolves [RU] (not for hire)
Feoktist (Jedi Shadow)
Brenda (Scoundrel)

Thanatus
06.15.2012 , 03:17 AM | #10
BTW, using an augment kit (AG) binds the item to you so all skills that can crit-craft items are still gonna be useful if you wanna sell augmented gear
<Tomb of Freedon Nadd> - The Dark Lords