Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gear Minimum Denova?

Mavery
05.23.2012 , 03:56 PM | #11
The minimum? Columni, no question. As another poster has said: story mode Denova drops Rakata, so it would be silly to suggest that you need Rakata to do an Operation that rewards Rakata.

What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that there isn't a majordifference between columni and rakata. 56 vs 58 mobs. Tionese vs columni was quite a jump at 51 vs 56. But two item levels? It's not going to make or break you.

The difficulty (I think) players have with story mode is i) raid experience and ii) understanding of how TOR mechanics work.

The enrage timers in NiM KP/EV were VERY forgiving and exceedingly liberal. You didn't even need to mini-max your character in order to beat the enrage timers. But this is an entirely different story with story mode Denova. Enrage timers are -really- tight so that the 1-3% DPS difference from mini-maxing is huge. If you did not raid in other games, and your only exposure is tier 1 TOR Ops, you're in for quite a wake up call.

That I consider to be the major discrepancy, not gear.
Elidibs Draconis, Kinetic Shadow
Yup, I'm back. Miss me?

pureeffinmetal
05.23.2012 , 08:15 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Aetou View Post
Have you completed it with a group with all Columi gear? I'd be surprised and impressed it you have. I'd say it's more a 50-50 Columi/Rakata mix that is necessary. If people have never done the other Ops on HM then I'll be shocked if they can do storymode Denova. We've one-shot both EV and KP HM but still struggle on Denova Storymode with mostly-Rakata. I mean, we're primarily a PVP guild but still - I'll be shocked if people who have never done the other HM Ops could do this.
No I have not completed it in a group that was full Columi. Our mains and our alts were all in Rakata by the time 1.2 hit. That being said we have brought in 2-3 players who had worse gear and still completed with half the raid in bad gear.

In an extreme case, we brought in a raid member on his alt Operative that just hit 50 that day. He and another operative in Rakata/black hole healed an 8 man story. It was fine. (On a side note we actually had 4 stealthers that raid, and we skipped almost every single trash pack lol)

Like others and I have said. Rakata gear...until you re-itemize it is not even better than Columi. And the 56 to 58 jump in item level isn't as big of a deal as the 56 was from 51.

Your main problem with Denova will be Learning, understanding and overcoming the mechanics. The bosses in Denova actually have mechanics, whereas in EV and KP, there was almost none to speak of.
Fallschirmjager
Lightning Sorcerer
<Rapture>
The Shadowlands (Formerly Shadow Hand)

Lymain
05.23.2012 , 08:40 PM | #13
Story Denova is clearly harder than Nightmare EV and probably harder than Nightmare KP. If you're running these zones as part of a guild, I'd run through Nightmare EV and at least Hard KP before worrying about Denova.

I know that's not a direct answer to your question, but I can't really give you an answer based on firsthand experience, since I doubt everyone I raid with plays to the absolute maximum potential of their class (I certainly don't, at least not every pull). We wiped a lot on Story Denova even with (almost) full Rakata.

Dhariq
05.24.2012 , 03:32 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by pureeffinmetal View Post
No. Story Mode Denova drops Rakata gear. Therefore in no way does it require the gear it rewards you with in order to complete it.

Full Columi is fine for Story. Full Rakata for HM.
Heh, yeah right and good luck with that.

-Fal-
05.24.2012 , 03:57 AM | #15
Battlemaster
It's just an object, doesn't mean what you think.

Styrka
05.24.2012 , 03:59 AM | #16
Did it with a group in mostly recruit, all just hit 50 and had one run of EV/KP HM worth of loot. It's not too hard, just have some set of level 50 gear.

anstalt
05.24.2012 , 07:48 AM | #17
For tanks and healers, columi is fine. The damage and healing needed isn't that high to be honest.

The main challenge in Denova Story is the mechanics and the enrage timers. The mechanics can, at times, be quite tricky to learn and will take some time to perfect if you are undergeared as you have less room to manuver. However, once you know the mechanics, damage taken and healing needed is quite easy to deal with.

However, enrage timers are tight as hell! So, you're DPS either need to be amazing with their rotations, or have extremely well itemised columi gear, or be "overgeared" in rakata/black hole. The second boss has a really tight enrage timer and you effectively only have 3.5 dps for that fight (4th dps kites and drops stuff). The third boss, if you are too slow, enrages the turrets on the minefield pretty consistantly. If you aren't quick enough, either the healers or the guy in the tower is gonna drop. On Kephess, you have 15seconds to kill a bomber with 100k health. That includes the time to spot they've spawned, target them, move to them, start dpsing etc. We did Kephess for first time last night and found if we lost a single DPS, we couldn't kill them in time. Even if we were simply stood on wrong side of the room, the travel time to bomber was too long and we wouldn't get them.

Its a fun raid, but pressure really is on learning mechanics and having great DPS.
Anstalt - lvl 50 valor 81 Shadow Consular

Currently retired due to poor design decisions within the game that have killed its longevity. Get rid of Hickman before he ruins the game completely!

pureeffinmetal
05.24.2012 , 09:23 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by anstalt View Post
On Kephess, you have 15seconds to kill a bomber with 100k health. That includes the time to spot they've spawned, target them, move to them, start dpsing etc. We did Kephess for first time last night and found if we lost a single DPS, we couldn't kill them in time. Even if we were simply stood on wrong side of the room, the travel time to bomber was too long and we wouldn't get them.
Its actually 20 seconds from the time he spawns to the time he blows up. Also you can stun him @ 1s to go and earn yourself a few extra seconds.
Fallschirmjager
Lightning Sorcerer
<Rapture>
The Shadowlands (Formerly Shadow Hand)

Styrka
05.24.2012 , 02:39 PM | #19
Try it sometime, it's not that bad if you know how to DPS. The only real issue was everyone incl tanks at <17K HP.

Ganrax
05.24.2012 , 03:48 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Lymain View Post
Story Denova is clearly harder than Nightmare EV and probably harder than Nightmare KP. If you're running these zones as part of a guild, I'd run through Nightmare EV and at least Hard KP before worrying about Denova.

I know that's not a direct answer to your question, but I can't really give you an answer based on firsthand experience, since I doubt everyone I raid with plays to the absolute maximum potential of their class (I certainly don't, at least not every pull). We wiped a lot on Story Denova even with (almost) full Rakata.
In terms of mechanics it is harder than Nightmare EV and KP but in terms of gear requirements they are on pretty much the same level. If you have enough gear to do NiM EV/KP you have enough gear to do Story Mode Denova. Whether you are skilled enough to execute the mechanics is a completely different question though, NiM EV/KP are complete jokes in terms of mechanics while Denova actually requires a brain. There are players that have full Rakata that cannot clear Story Mode Denova, this is not a gear issue, this is a skill issue.