Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.3 Overlook

Jelina
05.23.2012 , 06:21 AM | #1
I just recently saw that in the soon to be 1.3 update there will be a character transfer capability. This is an excellent move, but I believe this also will continue to impact the existing problem involving a lack of activity on any particular server. I understand that the amount of existing servers was to accommodate the initial wave of activity / players from launch to now. Now that this 'wave' has subsided, would it not be more effective to merge servers? Merging servers can be viewed in either a negative or positive fashion; in this case, I believe it would prove beneficial all around if explained properly. Also, once servers were merged activity would quadruple.

Understand something, you said that the character transfers would allow others to transfer and find their friends ~ but what you failed to mention was why their friends were not there in the 1st place. Another words in my opinion you're not addressing the issue.

Activity will continue to decline if you do not get out of the "Launch" mentality and begin focusing on the way-ahead.

CaptVaedon
05.23.2012 , 07:00 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Jelina View Post
Activity will continue to decline if you do not get out of the "Launch" mentality and begin focusing on the way-ahead.
Agreed.
FOR THE JEDI!!

happybug
05.23.2012 , 07:33 AM | #3
I completely agree, while allowing players to switch servers will help the lack of available player to player interactions it comes with its own problems. Character name conflictions being one I'm interested to see how you will solve. And how will guilds stay together? It seems easier to me, and a better solution in the long run, to merge the servers and the give players a one time server switch, like you have for the Asia launch and what not.
The problem, as it stands, is we don't have a massively multiplayer game we have a mildly multiplayer game, you just don't run into enough other players. The server, now servers I play on are almost always at a light load. they had a heavy load when I was choosing them but I think that was the only day I've seen that. Until the amount of character interactions goes up in game I don't see this becoming the great MMO it can be.

And isn't running less servers more cost effective anyway?

Jelina
05.23.2012 , 04:53 PM | #4
In a nutshell, not necessarily ~ but then again they would in-turn create an enabler by freeing up servers which could then be used to facilitate more instances to include EOGC.

HeavensAgent
05.23.2012 , 05:09 PM | #5
What does merging servers offer that simple free transfers does not?

happybug
05.23.2012 , 05:48 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavensAgent View Post
What does merging servers offer that simple free transfers does not?
Transfers are nearly random (as far as the servers can tell) and thus make it harder to correct for character name uniqueness, unless they plan to make character names unique across all servers. With a server merge all character name conflictions will be known ahead of time (which makes me wonder how they are going to handle that). Also factions will remain intact if they do a server merge. And, unless legacy becomes cross server which i didn't see any hint of, you won't loose the legacy you have developed on your current server.

Also it sounded like there are only a couple special servers that they will allow you to transfer to:

Daniel Erickson: Character transfers for select servers are coming first and we are open to any and all options after that.

so a server merge would better guarantee that all servers would have a decent amount of traffic, meaning a new player would not inadvertently end up on an empty server.

HeavensAgent
05.23.2012 , 06:47 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by happybug View Post
Transfers are nearly random (as far as the servers can tell) and thus make it harder to correct for character name uniqueness, unless they plan to make character names unique across all servers. With a server merge all character name conflictions will be known ahead of time (which makes me wonder how they are going to handle that). Also factions will remain intact if they do a server merge. And, unless legacy becomes cross server which i didn't see any hint of, you won't loose the legacy you have developed on your current server.
Transfers aren't random. And mergers actually result in greater naming conflicts. Additionally, Legacy will be transferred as well, and as such not lost.

I have no idea what you mean by "factions will remain intact." Niether transfers nor mergers have an effect on what faction you belong to.
Quote:
Also it sounded like there are only a couple special servers that they will allow you to transfer to:

Daniel Erickson: Character transfers for select servers are coming first and we are open to any and all options after that.

so a server merge would better guarantee that all servers would have a decent amount of traffic, meaning a new player would not inadvertently end up on an empty server.
I don't know about you, but every transfer situation I've witnessed has hidden the source servers from the server selection screen except for those you have characters on. The only way to create a character on a source server is to specifically look for said source server, thereby preventing new players from inadvertently rolling characters on them.

happybug
05.23.2012 , 07:20 PM | #8
I meant guild, good catch

HeavensAgent
05.23.2012 , 07:41 PM | #9
Alright, guilds remaining intact is the only real advantage I see. That said, with a little coordination a given guild can easily transfer to a new home together, so even this is a limited benefit.

Jelina
05.23.2012 , 08:36 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavensAgent View Post
Transfers aren't random. And mergers actually result in greater naming conflicts. Additionally, Legacy will be transferred as well, and as such not lost.
This is a good point; however, a rare occurrence. I don't see this being a big issue. I've never been tied to any specific name while playing an mmo.