Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Companions in the wrong storyline

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Companions in the wrong storyline

davanev
05.23.2012 , 06:19 AM | #1
Having spent time playing IA, BH and some smuggler I have come to feel that some of my companions are part of the wrong story. Hopefully no need for spoilers here - everything a say is from the first few levels of play.

Mako annoys my BH, far too soft; but would be perfect for my smuggler, useful, sweet natured but willing to break the rules and/or heads when needed. She should have been the one working for Viidu on Ord Mantell, the smuggler could find Corso anywhere later on.

Kaliyo is too much of a loose cannon for my IA, perfect for my BH, no way will she complain if my professional killer actually kills someone. Agent could pick up Temple at Nemro's instead of waiting forever for her, she could replace the one off npc agent who sends him to the trainer.

Are there any other character pairing that you feel could/should have been swapped ? I know these won't change now, just daydreams, but if you were writing these tales from scratch which companions would find new homes ?

dazednconfuzed
05.23.2012 , 06:29 AM | #2
Ashara Zavros in the Inquisitor class. She runs around claiming to be a Jedi, for crying out loud. How does that in any way fit with any Imperial class?
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

davanev
05.23.2012 , 06:43 AM | #3
Ashara would certainly be better if she could be turned DS but I can't see her fitting into amy other storyline instead - who would Ashara be good with ?. What female charcter wold fit SI better ? DS Jaessa ? Two psychos together ?

Ranadiel_Marius
05.23.2012 , 06:55 AM | #4
Really it depends on your character. For my BH, Mako is basically the perfect partner. Having "off" companions is intentional in order to try and allow for comapnions that fit with multiple personality types for the class. Looking at the BH as an example:

Spoiler
A Primer on the Emperor(yes this does have spoiler)

One Night Stands and Similar Encounter (spoilers again, and I am probably going to repost this sometime in the future)

Maaruin
05.23.2012 , 07:09 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
Ashara Zavros in the Inquisitor class. She runs around claiming to be a Jedi, for crying out loud. How does that in any way fit with any Imperial class?
If there would be a "turning" ompanion quest in the middle or maybe close to the end of her story line it would work out perfectly, I think. Maybe something where you find out things about a Jedi who turned Sith. You explore is reasons and in the end Ashara says he was right and she wants to become Sith too.

Then in the next conversation you can say something like: "Your final test to become Sith is [kill a Jedi you care about]." Then she would go away and returns after she has killed him.

What companions to change... Hmm, I would switch Qyzen with a male Jedi tank (Jedi Guardian), but there is no Jedi tank ingame. Then make Qyzen a ranged tank (Trandoshans normally hunt with rifles) and replace Iresso. Iresso is okay, but a little boring.
Iresso could join the trooper. Maybe replace Tanno Vik. (Haven't played Trooper, but I heard some don't like Vik.)
Or he could replace Sergant Rusk for the Knight.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

NgeneR
05.23.2012 , 07:13 AM | #6
Skadge is kind of sad--clearly a victim of bullying and thus a bully himself.

Personally, I think most of the companions fit pretty well, and you can use whichever you want as a good fit for the type of character you want to play. My BH runs with Torian, and not just because he's the LI. The BH has developed into a Mandalorian warrior with a code of honor that's not quite Mandalorian, and Torian fits that, not Mako. My trooper runs with catboy, mostly because of the officer/sarge dynamic. The SI runs with Andronikus, ok, because of the voice, but also because of the dps--he's just top notch. When she doesn't run with him, it's Khem. My IA runs with Scorpio--just seems to fit the intelligence aspect somehow, and it's fascinating to see the dynamic between them.

The only one I'm having trouble with is the SW--as a marauder, Quinn actually suits the play style best, but geez, I do not like the guy. I'm thinking about gearing up Pierce or Broonmark to tank.

Clearly, other people run with different companions, because they have created different philosophies and those companions fit in well.

dazednconfuzed
05.23.2012 , 08:31 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
If there would be a "turning" ompanion quest in the middle or maybe close to the end of her story line it would work out perfectly, I think. Maybe something where you find out things about a Jedi who turned Sith. You explore is reasons and in the end Ashara says he was right and she wants to become Sith too.

Then in the next conversation you can say something like: "Your final test to become Sith is [kill a Jedi you care about]." Then she would go away and returns after she has killed him.
This would make it more acceptable, but would only work if she would shut up about being Jedi.

Maaruin
05.23.2012 , 09:41 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
This would make it more acceptable, but would only work if she would shut up about being Jedi.
You mean during her combat calls, right. Yeah, that should be changed too. But before 1.2 LS Jease said things like "Their pain is exquisite", and I on my lightside warrior had just to ignore it.
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

dazednconfuzed
05.23.2012 , 09:50 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Maaruin View Post
You mean during her combat calls, right. Yeah, that should be changed too. But before 1.2 LS Jease said things like "Their pain is exquisite", and I on my lightside warrior had just to ignore it.
Wow... That's another one BW dropped the ball on. Running around chanting dark side slogans when you are a goody two shoes Jedi-wannabe to go alongside Little Miss I'm-A-Jedi-Even-thought-I've-Helped-You-Slaughter-Loads-Of-Jedi.

Perhaps LS Jaesa is just emo?

Celacia
05.23.2012 , 09:54 AM | #10
Am I like the only person who convinced Ashara that she wasn't a Jedi anymore, and that she could be an awesome neutrally aligned Sith like me? I mean, she didn't get any less stupid, and she still had issues with Jedi-logic, but she at least stopped claiming to be one. Was I hallucinating? (To be fair, I never take her anywhere because she is a joyless harpy, so I don't know what she says when she is fighting.)