Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In what year, and how old were you?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
In what year, and how old were you?

Hennix
12.24.2011 , 12:45 PM | #71
I'm born 1984 and saw the first 3 movies when I was about 5 so in 1989

ibage
12.24.2011 , 06:03 PM | #72
I was reluctant to even watch Star Wars as a kid until I was around 6 which would have been 1994. I started with Episode V because that was the only one Blockbuster had in stock. Then I remember a few years after that they had the OT in theatres my dad took my brother and I to see all three when they were released. Still one of my fondest childhood memories.

But I've been a huge fan since first grade.
Avid Overclocker i5-750@ 4GHz||Dual GTX 470's @ 1v 823|1646|1828

Kyriosgundam
12.24.2011 , 06:24 PM | #73
Quote: Originally Posted by _Pi_ View Post
...when you watched your first SW movie?

This is not meant to be a defacto "how old are you" thread. I asked the same thing on the old forum, and there were some great answers reminiscing about people's first time. What I found most appealing was how many parents passed their fandom on to their kids. Actually, one of my most cherished memories is when I took my 5 year old niece to see Phantom Menace when it first came out.

So for me... it was June 1977, I was 13, in a theater in Springfield, MO. I lived in Texas and was visiting friends of my parents by myself. They had kids of their own, but were a few years older than me. So they tried to keep me entertained as best they could. One day the dad says he heard of a new movie about "space", and it was supposed to be pretty good.

Now, a few days before we had gone to see A Bridge Too Far. Which I enjoyed because it was a war movie with lots of big name stars. But it was three hours long, and I didn't really understand the plot because it seemed that the good guys lost. And even at 13 years old I knew the allies had won the war. Also, back then "space movies" were kind of bad. Except for Kubrick's 2001 which went way over my head. Anyway, I was kind of reluctant to go. Then after it was over I couldn't shut up about it. When I got back to Texas (small town), I was crushed to find that our theater wasn't showing it yet.

Side note: yeah, I'm old.
My parents saw Ep VI when it released in Jan of 1983 I was born less than a month before which is kind of ironic since I saw Star Wars for the very first time on my birthday in 1986 I was 4 years old and have loved the franchise ever since. Yeah I will admit I am almost 30 but then again theres still a little of the kid we used to be in all of us no matter how old we get. Also like the person who started this thread I couldnt shut up about it either. I also find it funny that my godmother was in the same high chool graduation class as Star Wars creator George Lucas.
"The Ability to speak does not make you intelligent"-Qui-Gon
"Much to learn you still have"-Yoda
"Impressive......Most Impressive"-Darth Vader
"Only a Sith deals in absolutes"-Obi-Wan

BladeStrike
12.24.2011 , 06:33 PM | #74
Well the first one I remember seeing was Phantom Menace when it was in theatres. I was 10. I probably say the originals at some point in the 90's though. I knew a fair bit about the story going into Episode I.

-___-
12.24.2011 , 08:48 PM | #75
Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace, 1999. I just looked this up. This means I was 8 years old, which just seems odd to me. this is the first movie I ever saw in theaters as well. I was big into star wars for a while, and told my parents I was changing my name to Luke Skywalker. Good times. Its weird that I was 8 though... could have sworn I was younger.

Kelloch
12.24.2011 , 09:51 PM | #76
1977 in a theater in Richmond, VA. I was 5 at the time and remember Darth Vader scaring the crap out of me when they boarded the ship. Before the avent of VHS, I had the movie on a record and listened to it over and over while looking at the picture book that came with it. I think I still have that somewhere.

_Pi_
12.25.2011 , 05:59 AM | #77
Quote: Originally Posted by Kelloch View Post
Before the avent of VHS, I had the movie on a record and listened to it over and over while looking at the picture book that came with it. I think I still have that somewhere.
Same here, and I also had it on 8-track. When I get home from work, I'll post a link (sux we can't post images) of the picture disk album.

I also had a hand-crank film clip viewer made by Mattel. I think it came out in '78. Of course no audio, but you could watch scenes from the movie in the palm of your hand, as long as you had a light source to feed the "fiber optic" probe sticking out of the top.
Pi is the signature of GOD

Msbungle
12.25.2011 , 06:03 AM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by _Pi_ View Post
So for me... it was June 1977, I was 13, in a theater in Springfield, MO.
I was 5. My mom made my sister see the movie (she is your age) and then saw it herself before she would take me to the theater to see it. I was a little young for a PG movie and my parents actually monitored stuff like that.

And yes, the movie was the same release. Episode 4 - 1977.

grupurt
12.25.2011 , 06:27 AM | #79
Quote: Originally Posted by VanGaalen View Post
Took my 4 yo son to see it in '77. He wasn't near as impressed as I was back then but has seen the true path since then.

I was 29 at the time.
Glad to see that I'm not the only "elder" player here....

LtGeneralGezlin
12.25.2011 , 07:19 AM | #80
1995. I was five years old. My dad had gotten the "One last time" VHS copy of the original trilogy. I must have watched that at least a billion or more times until I got the VHS's of the special editions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBMBb...eature=related

My favorite part of the ENTIRE VHS set.
CE Owner - The Gallifreyan Legacy - Squad 238 Tester
55 Gunslinger, 50 Commando, 50 Sentinel, 46 Shadow.
50 Operative, 18 Mercenary, 55 Marauder, 53 Juggernaut, 50 Sorcerer.