Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

In what year, and how old were you?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
In what year, and how old were you?

Stuntie
12.19.2011 , 04:23 PM | #41
77 for me as well.
Was about 9 and went to see this new movie I had seen the trailers for.

It's a cliche now, but sitting there with the big screen watching the opening was truly stunning.
The Space ship flew past and then another ship came on chasing it, and it came on and on and on... there has never been a better 'holy crap' opening moment in a film ever.

You have to remember as well Sci-Fi pre Star Wars was svaue and cultured sleek and elegant with square jawed impecable heroes on high pedastals well above mere mortals like us. Not a bunch of farmers, crazy old men and smugglers from a flea bitten backwater. These were ordinary people thrust into heroism. People we could all identify with. No longer did you need to be an elite best of the best with a decade of special ops training. All you needed was a couple of scrufy but good mates and a battered old vehicle to go save the galaxy and win the princess. Even a dork like me could manage that...
Cheers
Stuntie.
:

Anareon
12.19.2011 , 04:33 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by Stuntie View Post
It's a cliche now, but sitting there with the big screen watching the opening was truly stunning.
The Space ship flew past and then another ship came on chasing it, and it came on and on and on... there has never been a better 'holy crap' opening moment in a film ever.
Yeah I have to agree. It's really hard to describe how you felt during this scene today to younger people since awesome special effects and CGI are common place today. Seeing it for the first time was almost like watching a religous miracle taking place.

Chassit
12.20.2011 , 04:23 AM | #43
1977 and I was 6. The theater was empty!
NFA

You'll take my life but I'll take yours too! You'll fire your musket but I'll run you through!

Ziffron
12.20.2011 , 04:27 AM | #44
Episode 1 May 4th 1999, I was 8 at the time
The Tetra Legacy
Never Retreat
Never Surrender
The Force is with you, Now and Always

PoanJorHass
12.20.2011 , 04:28 AM | #45
i have no idea when it was or how old i was but it was the special edition release in cinema that i watched.
it was fantastic to say the least

footface
12.20.2011 , 06:55 AM | #46
i believe around 96 when i was 4, could have been earlier, as most people i dont remember much from when i was that young, but ive seen every SW movie multiple times since then

Rogerleec
12.20.2011 , 09:34 AM | #47
I first saw it in 1977 when I took my two young sons to see the movie. I was 35 at the time and a long time science fiction nut. Still am at 69 lol.
After the first one I saw all the others on opening day.
"Government is like a baby. An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no responsibility at the other. "
Ronald Regan

Tavenji
12.20.2011 , 09:37 AM | #48
6 years old in 1977, the original Cine Capri theater (may it rest in peace) in Phoenix, AZ.

Kraytdragon
12.20.2011 , 09:43 AM | #49
My first time was a birthday present: November 1977 and I had just turned 10. My parents took me to a local theater where I would eventually see all three of the originals. Its a car dealership now and I drive by it from time to time. I'm happy to say that my enthusiasm for Star Wars hasn't lessened any over the years. I've seen and enjoyed all the new films and my kids are huge fans as well. My son is getting this game for Christmas.

This may horrify some of you out there but my daughter's first word was "Jar Jar". I'm so proud.
. <---- This is a period. Please feel free to cut and past it from here and use it in your posts.

Kraytdragon
12.20.2011 , 09:46 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by Rogerleec View Post
I first saw it in 1977 when I took my two young sons to see the movie. I was 35 at the time and a long time science fiction nut. Still am at 69 lol.
After the first one I saw all the others on opening day.
You, sir are my hero.
. <---- This is a period. Please feel free to cut and past it from here and use it in your posts.