Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PVP, Rankings and Servers

Coolss
05.23.2012 , 02:11 AM | #1
Hey all fellow pvp'rs!

The state of PVP atm is at best boring because of population issues, no cross server wz's and no real ranking system. I've been wondering very much the lack of support for real pvp in MMO's and it doesn't make much sence. PVP offers devs to make content that is replayed over and over again, and the cost of content comprared to the hours played it must be much much better than in PVE. This is often seen in 2nd class 1st person shooters where even the bad games with tons of bugs success in "esports" with community driven ranking system such as clanbase.

Now we're facing server transfers for more healthy environment for players, which is great and maybe we'll see a ranking system implemented. Now I still wonder why are the steps so small? I doubt the costs are big, just the will to do a real PVP system is missing. I wanna shoot out some ideas for the "wall of crazy". We'll soon have "empty" servers when the server transfers begin and I see a great opportunity.

What if we had a real time ladder system here in SWTOR site and servers only for ranked PVP, for example a wz server for EU and US where people login only to do "esports" for ladders... and maybe later on for cups' first stages. This would allow the more dedicated players to find the best matches they want, challenge other teams on calender perhaps and we could do this without the cross server wz "mess". I know I am bad at explaining this but I hope you get the idea. Character copy to a wz server where no gear grind happens, no extra stuff, only ur character and his abilities, ladder system with site support, ability to challenge other teams (not just random finder). I know it's a very very raw idea that would needs tons of tweaking but I just see this as a great opportunity.

Now I know there would be a lot of drama about different things, for example how do you have to defend number 1 postion and how the scores would be put in etc, but I've seen these systems work great before with almost no support from devs so I don't see how these things cannot work WITH the devs on board. And before you say that all the people who player PVP a bit more hardcore, have left, make no mistake, those people are quick to change back when they see a great ranking system with good support. Seen it with so many games (altho those have been 1st person shooters, but a game is a game).

Sorry for the terrible grammar... I haven't wrítten much in English lately.

Just my 2 cents,
Coolz

wolfmith
05.23.2012 , 03:19 AM | #2
So, basically you want to take all hardcore PvPers and get them in the same server, creating PvP events and ladders. That can be achieved through their actual system with X-server WZs. The only difference would be that instead of being random, people would know when the matches would happen.

Expanding your idea, why not allow hardcore teams to challenge each other, playing # matches in a row ? We could use the website to mark the time and the matches would only start if everyone was online. It'd take away the dead waiting times, though people should have a longer time before the matches begin, as 3 min, to allow people to do their bio needs.
Slancerk | Wolfmith
Kyrar Kote Legions Of Lettow
Proud PvP Player -
981h of playtime (26/05) powered by ASUS ROG G74SX

Coolss
05.23.2012 , 03:52 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by wolfmith View Post
So, basically you want to take all hardcore PvPers and get them in the same server, creating PvP events and ladders. That can be achieved through their actual system with X-server WZs. The only difference would be that instead of being random, people would know when the matches would happen.

Expanding your idea, why not allow hardcore teams to challenge each other, playing # matches in a row ? We could use the website to mark the time and the matches would only start if everyone was online. It'd take away the dead waiting times, though people should have a longer time before the matches begin, as 3 min, to allow people to do their bio needs.
I think we're talking about the same thing but I just don't say things very good. My idea is pretty much the same, a site or in-gme calender to challenge other teams (or a random finder for people who want it), both teams pick a "map", match takes then around 30-35 mins, people would have to be on time or the match would be forfeited and proper ladders forEU and US, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, maybe even 5v5. The most important thing is having this ladder viewable on SWTOR site, it add prestige and makes it worth something.

The only reason I suggested having these separate servers is to make it easier to implement when people are on the same server for matches when they are ment to begin. For cups/tournaments, separate servers are usually a mandatory when the settings for tournaments can differ greatly from normal ladder.

Just to add an example http://clanbase.ggl.com/rating.php?lid=595
Something like that, a ladder with info. And for people who fear the class inbalance to kill any HC PVP, there's things called rules. For example in a 4vs4 match, "3 different classes must be used" etc.

wolfmith
05.23.2012 , 04:17 AM | #4
I don't quite agree with team matches with less than 4 people. Imagine 2 DPS vs Healer+Tank or vs Healer+DPS. Wouldn't work. But I do like the ladder system and I think that would be a huge improvement to what we currently have. PvPers like to see their work recognized.

But first, I want to see if they don't screw it up with the ranked...............
Slancerk | Wolfmith
Kyrar Kote Legions Of Lettow
Proud PvP Player -
981h of playtime (26/05) powered by ASUS ROG G74SX

Coolss
05.23.2012 , 04:56 AM | #5
Yea team sizes are a tricky thing, but imo if community wants it, it can be done, just requires rules to make it work. But this is not my main point, I wanted to point out there's a proper way of making PVP worth something else than a shiny piece of gear.

Coolss
05.23.2012 , 03:48 PM | #6
oh, just found out there was a request made by community for ladders etc at the launch already and nothing has been done, so nvm this thread, it certainly doesn't seem to be in devs list.

HeavensAgent
05.23.2012 , 04:32 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Coolss View Post
oh, just found out there was a request made by community for ladders etc at the launch already and nothing has been done, so nvm this thread, it certainly doesn't seem to be in devs list.
It is, and has been, since beta.

Something of this nature has always been on the Wall of Crazy, and has been something the developers have been working on constantly since launch. It simply is not as easy to implement as you believe.

Coolss
05.23.2012 , 04:47 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavensAgent View Post
It is, and has been, since beta.

Something of this nature has always been on the Wall of Crazy, and has been something the developers have been working on constantly since launch. It simply is not as easy to implement as you believe.
I can understand it takes time to implement into a game this size but I am just wondering is it really something they started to work on at late beta or at launch? it certainly isn't hard to do if u have the will to do it because I've seen it in low budget games. Maybe they're working on this a bit too much if you know what I mean... the scary part is, I really feel like it's on the wall of crazy...when imo it's the basics of a competitive gaming.. that ofc is only my opinion and I do feel like I am very much alone with this now when all the players I used to pvp 1 month ago have left.

HeavensAgent
05.23.2012 , 05:05 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Coolss View Post
I can understand it takes time to implement into a game this size but I am just wondering is it really something they started to work on at late beta or at launch? it certainly isn't hard to do if u have the will to do it because I've seen it in low budget games. Maybe they're working on this a bit too much if you know what I mean... the scary part is, I really feel like it's on the wall of crazy...when imo it's the basics of a competitive gaming.. that ofc is only my opinion and I do feel like I am very much alone with this now when all the players I used to pvp 1 month ago have left.
Considering other games of SWTOR's scale have taken years to implement what you suggest, perhaps you should reevaluate the basis of your statements.

Coolss
05.23.2012 , 05:13 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by HeavensAgent View Post
Considering other games of SWTOR's scale have taken years to implement what you suggest, perhaps you should reevaluate the basis of your statements.
What is there that takes years? what is in the system that is so complicated? The only thing that would make ANY sense to me would the cross server wz's... and that certainly is not easy to do but apart from that there nothing, simply nothing hard to make if u don't put the bar too high (in clouds).. as i said, I might be just wanting something that isn't even coming ever and I think I am simply hoping for things that I would want, but very few others really wait for..

and by nothing hard, I mean nothing that cannot be made by average game companies in a few months. But u could be right, this game is not made for the system I desire and thus it will not be implemented coz it would take years.