Layoffs at Bioware What does this mean for content

Painted

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If its just the programmers who caused all the bugs ever new patch then I have no issues with them firing them...

But to be fair every Design team lays people off after a lunch of a MMO.... If anything Bioware kept them around a lot longer then most MMO companies do...

You know what?

This can only be a good sign. Sometimes companies see their product needs a change, and the earlier they execute such changes the better. People might be better off in different positions. Guess game development is all a big strategy game itself.

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

We'll probably never know, but some devs have been oddly silent lately.

I'm usually not one for tinfoil hats, but the 400k sub loss, EA placing this game in priority below Tiger Woods, and EA just being pure evil...

I'm wondering if EA will do to BioWare what they did to Westwood Studios...

more interested to know who has gone

In reality this was expected, the great line of 'unlike other MMOs we have kept our development team on' at launch time were just a cover for we are no where near finished the basic essentials and had planned on launching in the New year, maybe around March time, so everyone is contracted till then.

BW needs a good news day, maybe tomorrow?

This should be a wake up call for BioWare concerning TOR....but I get this feeling some of them in management are still sleeping...dreaming what could have been.

I don't think the management is sleeping. The question is are they awake enough to retain the people they need.

By the way, countdown to Kotaku blowing this article up:

5, 4, 3, 2, 1....

"SW:TOR lays off people; game continues to die. PLAY TERA and GUILD WARS 2 instead!"

All from their seasoned "MMO Reporter" that hates MMO games.

That's EA suits for you. Gawd I dislike EA as a company. Not going to say it's the worst in America, but they force crap like this all the time. Killed off Earth and Beyond even though it was a successful MMO, and various operational malfeasance with regard to other MMOs. Ranks up there with SOE, but at least SOE likes to make MMOs. EA makes MMOs because its part of their diversified business portfolio.

Could be good news, could be bad news Layoffs and restructuring might enable SWTOR to fix its current state and rev things into a higher gear. I am sure that EA and BW execs are furious at the current subscription problems and server populations, not to mention lack of progress in some content and features areas.

Maybe SWTOR gets revitalized with these layoffs. Or....maybe it's just a definite sign that things are going just as badly as this forum thinks they are.

Could be good news, could be bad news Layoffs and restructuring might enable SWTOR to fix its current state and rev things into a higher gear. I am sure that EA and BW execs are furious at the current subscription problems and server populations, not to mention lack of progress in some content and features areas.

Maybe SWTOR gets revitalized with these layoffs. Or....maybe it's just a definite sign that things are going just as badly as this forum thinks they are.

I don't think so, they need an entirely different design team as well as someone who can sort out the server populations.

I really really hope they fired the person who decided to make this game vanilla wow and expected it to beat current wow. But they probably fired a bunch of other people who did nothing wrong except work for the moron who decided which way to push this game.

Either way, i hope all the fools who said "this game can do great on 500k subs" will shut up now.

This will not mean antthing for content.I think this could actually improve the game in the long run.

For what ever reason they had to leave i wish them the best. BioWare will have no problem hiring

new talented people to work on SWTOR.And when they do i hope they take the game in a direction

that will be good for all players and really improve the STAR WARS experience

With the right people in charge this game could grow huge in time like some other game did more

then 7 years ago.Players will always come back if th developers are beeing honest about their mistakes.

But this game must stand on it's own.In the spirit of STAR WARS and nothing else.Only so will it

become trully great.

You know what?

This can only be a good sign. Sometimes companies see their product needs a change, and the earlier they execute such changes the better. People might be better off in different positions. Guess game development is all a big strategy game itself.

Yeah, completely! Getting rid of your employees is ALWAYS a good sign. It's a sign of a healthy business, and a great financial situation.

As we all know - smaller teams are able to produce more content, and fix bugs FASTER.

I mean... REALLY ? Firing people = GOOD THING ? o.O

SWTOR is ******* now, since the new content was already coming at a way slower pace than it should.

Edited by Sireene
lang