Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Guide Gearing up, medals and commendations

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
PvP Guide Gearing up, medals and commendations

Stradoo
05.22.2012 , 03:59 PM | #11
Now if only there were more than 10 people on the Republic Fleet to PvP with....

o.O

SRSLY
Don't be a Sad Koala. L2PvP!

Astarica
05.22.2012 , 04:04 PM | #12
Assuming queue time isn't a significant factor, you get more comms if you win quickly and then just forfeit the next game (i.e. get 8 medals and then start helping the other team like force pull their guys to goal) compared to winning a game slowly for the full 140. Since it is trivial to lose a game (if not, then you should try to win that game instead) it's always better to win fast.

Now if the queues take an hour to pop you might have to try to get the most out of your only game, but in that case you also got other issues to worry about in general.

Bytesin
05.22.2012 , 07:35 PM | #13
Indeed, the queues are a pain lately and taking in consideration the time you have to wait in order to join a game, winning the game slowly might get you more commendations. I mean, if you wait 1 hour between WZs... playing the full WZ and getting the max commendations will definitely reward you better per total, rather than wining them fast.
I'm sure BW will do something regarding these queues soon.
Oldrepublic.NET - Leading Community For SWTOR
Companion Gifts - Datacrons - Crew Skills Guides - Level 50 Speeders - Vanity Pets

Klapton
05.23.2012 , 05:48 PM | #14
I am extremely disappointed with the cookie-cutter nature of the PvP gear. Why bother having other stats and other gear choices? Why bother with even having a 1-50 levelling experience, only to have the SAME stuff as everyone else when you get to end-game PvP? Why not just roll a Sentinel, and give them the recruit gear?

And why even HAVE a magical "I'm better at PvP because I spent more time grinding THIS than other stuff" stat anyway? What is the point? Why is it even needed?

Lunez
05.24.2012 , 02:32 PM | #15
Nice guide. Short, sweet, and to the point.

Quote: Originally Posted by Klapton View Post
And why even HAVE a magical "I'm better at PvP because I spent more time grinding THIS than other stuff" stat anyway? What is the point? Why is it even needed?
It's not like that at all. The tone of your post makes me believe that you're a bit frustrated; I sympathizer with you, but please allow me to explain why having PvP gear is -very- cool, and a worthwhile edition to the game environment.

When you start off as a fresh level 1 jedi on Tython, you are given the basic necessities, and are rather quite weak. But in time, you are able to grind your way up in level, credits, legacy, etc. Eventually, you reach level 50, bought/quested for nice gear, and are the big cheese of mob-slaying.

Well PvP is just like that, and for those of us who appreciate the multi-layered mechanics that set both PvE and PvP apart, it can be the next level of accomplishment for us to face and overcome. PvP is not supposed to be an extension of PvE, or general storyline gameplay for that matter. It's designed to be an alternative route of exposure that comes with entirely new set of goals, challenges, and rewards.

This is why expertise is important. It make PvP gear ineffective in PvE, and PvE gear less effective in PvP. This is what makes it so cool.

For this, those of us who do the grind, are thankful, and appreciative, and I guess we all just "get it", the point is made obvious to us, we appreciate this "need". That said, I can certainly understand that this may confuse, or frustrate you, and that is actually 100% totally okay, because not every aspect of this game (or life in general) was meant to be absorbed or appreciated by 100% of all demographics.

My advice to you is to let go of the hate, and embrace the force, my young PvP Padawan.

SexySlexy
05.26.2012 , 07:00 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post

It's not like that at all. The tone of your post makes me believe that you're a bit frustrated; I sympathizer with you, but please allow me to explain why having PvP gear is -very- cool, and a worthwhile edition to the game environment.

When you start off as a fresh level 1 jedi on Tython, you are given the basic necessities, and are rather quite weak. But in time, you are able to grind your way up in level, credits, legacy, etc. Eventually, you reach level 50, bought/quested for nice gear, and are the big cheese of mob-slaying.

Well PvP is just like that, and for those of us who appreciate the multi-layered mechanics that set both PvE and PvP apart, it can be the next level of accomplishment for us to face and overcome. PvP is not supposed to be an extension of PvE, or general storyline gameplay for that matter. It's designed to be an alternative route of exposure that comes with entirely new set of goals, challenges, and rewards.

This is why expertise is important. It make PvP gear ineffective in PvE, and PvE gear less effective in PvP. This is what makes it so cool.

For this, those of us who do the grind, are thankful, and appreciative, and I guess we all just "get it", the point is made obvious to us, we appreciate this "need". That said, I can certainly understand that this may confuse, or frustrate you, and that is actually 100% totally okay, because not every aspect of this game (or life in general) was meant to be absorbed or appreciated by 100% of all demographics.

My advice to you is to let go of the hate, and embrace the force, my young PvP Padawan.
100 percent correct, well almost since you said "start off as a Jedi" lol. Still a great speech though.
"May the force be with you"... "Better yet just stick with me because I am the Force."

Klapton
05.27.2012 , 08:45 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Lunez View Post

I completely disagree.

What they have done, is made one path completely worthless to the other. It's not merely about being competitive. You also are assuming that I don't PvP. I'm just some PvE carebear who wants to walk into a Warzone after dinging 50 and compete with everyone.

First off... If PvP is REALLY that much different, a PvE carebear cannot just waltz into a warzone and stomp everyone just because they have decent gear. (Remember, the mantra of the leet PvPer is that it is SO much more challenging.)

Why should PvP be completely separate from PvE? Seriously... Why? Why should PvP gear suck in PvE and PvE gear suck in PvP? Why can't they both have nice gear rewards that use the same stats?

I'll tell you why...

Because all of these posers out there who think they are leet PvPers are nothing but crybabies who THEIR time-sink to mean more than anyone else's. They like to THINK that their favored gameplay is SO much more challenging and hard than anything else, when the reality is that skill PvE players can learn it and master it much easier than you want to believe.

So you have to create an artificial advantage.

Now... I'll tell you why I'm bitter about this, rather than just let you continue to assume you know something about me...

I like crafting. I maxed out all six crew skills while my characters were all below lvl 25. I create my own "challenge" in these games by not dinging a level until I have ALL my nice gear made for that level. I deliberately level slower, because I don't care for the whole race-to-max-level-because-nothing-else-matters, and I don't care for most of the zero-attention-span WoW-kiddies who embrace that attitude. (Yeah, I'm old, and most of you are effing NOOBS).

I have been doing warzones (since there is no open-world PvP to be had, because of ezmoder PvP warzones) all along. Levels 1-49, blue and purple crafted gear, along with teamwork and playing skill has been working beautifully. I started working on my super-awesome purple-critted max level crafted gear in anticipation of dinging 50.

BUT

Now I discover that all of my crafting was worthless. Now I am basically FORCED to buy cookie-cutter gear (you can't even do different custom builds because the PvP sets assume there is only ONE way to build the stats for your class). If I don't buy this gear - the SAME CRAP EVERYONE ELSE HAS - then I will suck. Not because I ACTUALLY suck as a player - I know better than that. I will suck because I didn't do the same grind that everyone else did. I chose to NOT follow the crowd, and chose my own path in the game.

And here's the REAL icing on the cake.

YOU CAN COMPLETELY SUCK AT THE GAME IN EVERY WAY, BUT IF YOU DO YOUR MINDLESS WZ GRIND YOU WILL AUTOMATICALLY GET THE BEST GEAR IN THE GAME. THERE IS NO RISK VS. REWARD TO JUSTIFY THIS, BECAUSE THERE IS NO RISK OF BAD THINGS HAPPENING WHEN YOU DIE / LOOSE.

Klapton
05.27.2012 , 09:24 AM | #18
Here's some more, while I'm at it...

I can craft all sorts of custom stats for various classes. My friend plays a Sentinel, and wanted to do a build based on Accuracy and Power. Well, guess what? The PvP gear is all Crit. If he wants Expertise so he doesn't get pwned, he has to abandon any desire he might have had to customize his character for his playstyle or to think outside the box and do something OTHER than what the crowd is doing.

Once again, this aspect of crafting that was actually VERY COOL is now COMPLETELY WORTHLESS.

flem
05.27.2012 , 12:04 PM | #19
What the heck are you talking about?

Yes, BM statting sucks. This is true for all BM. Champ statting was much better and more varied.

WH statting is not only varied, it lets you trade pretty much any stat for another. Power vs Crit, Surge vs Accuracy, End vs mainstat (any dpsers actually *buying* those 100End implants?)... I've spent way too much time looking at the various gear combos to try for an optimal stat mix.
Jedi Covenant | Formerly: Squadron 840; Shii-Cho | Bring back warzone Tauntauns!

Lunez
05.27.2012 , 12:41 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Klapton View Post
I completely disagree.

What they have done, is made one path completely worthless to the other.
Yeah, I dont think you understood what I was saying in my post that you quoted. The POINT is that they are separate, and one cannot do well in one, and automatically transcribe that into the other. This IS the point. They are supposed to be different types of gameplay with different types of goals, gear, etc.

It's okay for you to not like this, because as I said above, the world cannot cater to everyone. You are the minority. And yeah, we might have a few people that agree with you that want to voice themselves on the forums but if you ask every single SWTOR subscriber if they think its cool to have two different paths of challenge, you can bet your sweet arse that they will tell you, heck yeah we like this. I want different challenges, different goals, and different routes in which to achieve these goals.

Some people don't play PvE, or don't have a guild with access to all of the endgame content. If you discredited their inability to compete, and compare it with the complete 100% availability to compete via hard work in the PvP arena, I think you'll find it making a heck of a lot more sense.

EDIT: I feel your pain about wanting more customized options though, More options are always better.