Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

PvP Guide – Gearing up, medals and commendations

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP

Bytesin
05.22.2012 , 09:10 AM | #1

Since Ranked Warzones are finally here, I figure the new players and some old ones, could use some help regarding gearing up, getting ranked warzone commendations, medals etc.

Most of the info used here is from:
http://www.oldrepublic.net/470-how-g...endations.html
http://www.oldrepublic.net/304-pvp-v...tles-list.html
For more details and screenshots check the original articles.

I’ve noticed that in Warzones a lot of new players, and even old PvE players are not getting the Recruit suit and instead, they are coming with pve gear. Well … that’s the worst way to do it – even if you wear Rakata gear, Recruit is a lot better due to Expertise, which is the most important stat in PvP. Don’t be cheap and buy it, it’s worth the money.

Here are the prices for the Recruit gear:

Wrist – 20500 Credits
Waist – 20500 Credits
Boots – 26200 Credits
Ear – 17000 Credits
Implant – 17000 Credits
Hands – 26200 Credits
Head – 31700 Credits
Chest – 31700 Credits
Main-Hand – 38700 Credits
Off-hand – 19300 Credits
Legs – 31700 Credits
Champion Relics – 11300 Credits

So, to get full Recruit gear (including 2 Relics) it will cost you only 320000 Credits and provide you with approximately 900 Expertise which is more than decent for a fresh PvPer. Also lvl 50 players will get a new one-time PvP mission (New technology) available at the Mission Terminal on the Imperial and Republic fleets located in the Combat Training Quarter. This mission will allow you to choose between the following rewards: Recruit Gear Box (a complete Recruit set based on your AC) or a Recruit Credit Redemption Token, which can be sold at the vendor for 320000 credits (the cost of a full Recruit set).

After getting the Recruit gear, you are ready to do some Warzones and get Commendations for the Battlemaster gear. You can’t skip this tier if you want to go further and get the War Hero set.
Warzone Commendations (these can be obtained by playing normal Warzones) are needed in order to buy Battlemaster items.

Let’s take a look over the Battlemaster gear prices:

Wrist – 550 Warzone Commendations
Waist – 625 Warzone Commendations
Boots – 875 Warzone Commendations
Ear – 625 Warzone Commendations
Implant- 625 Warzone Commendations
Hands – 875 Warzone Commendations
Head – 1075 Warzone Commendations
Chest – 1425 Warzone Commendations
Main-Hand – 1550 Warzone Commendations
Off-Hand – 1550 Warzone Commendations
Legs - 975 Warzone Commendations

War Hero gear and Ranked Warzone Commendations

The next step is the War Hero gear. Players can buy it with Ranked Warzone Commendation + the equivalent Battlemaster item. For a full list of War Hero and Ranked War Hero gear costs please check this article: http://www.oldrepublic.net/470-how-g...endations.html

Note: When buying a piece of War Hero gear players must have the equivalent Battlemaster item in the inventory (not equipped). Only the empty shell is needed (you can get the mods off from the item and you should still be able to trade it for War Hero gear).

Ranked Warzone Commendations can be obtained by doing Ranked Warzones or the PvP Daily and Weekly missions. Also players will be able to trade 30 Warzone Commendations for 10 Ranked Warzone Commendations, but Valor Rank 40 is required. More details about this can be found in the link above.

Note: Valor Rank is the system implemented by Bioware as a method for distributing PvP rewards and titles (such as crafted Battlemaster / War Hero / Rated War Hero gear, Longspur Recon mount. etc). Valor XP can be obtained by doing Warzones and Open World PvP.

Crafted Battlemaster and War Hero gear

This gear can be made by Synthweaving and Amormech. The gear has no mods on it, basically it’s just the empty shell.
However, to equip this crafted gear, players have to obtain a certain Valor Rank (Rank 60 for Battlemaster, Rank 70 for War Hero, while the Rated War Hero also requires Warzone Rating).
Also, augment slots can be added on any gear now. Bonus sets can be transfered on them but only from the new items added in Game Update 1.2 or later, such as War Hero set.

For some screenshots please check the original article: http://www.oldrepublic.net/470-how-g...endations.html

Medals and Titles

Completing some achievements during a Warzone, will award you with medals. The first 8 Medals are now worth 250 Valor and 5 Commendations each. Players earn Valor and Commendations only for the first 8 Medals (2000 Valor / 40 Commendations in total).
For the full list of medals and titles please refer to the original article: http://www.oldrepublic.net/304-pvp-v...tles-list.html

Resolve Bar

Basically, the resolve bar is a visual representation on how many movement, knock backs or action impairing effects (purple bar) a player can take before he becomes immune (the white bar). A good article explaining how this works can be seen here: http://www.oldrepublic.net/391-pvp-r...planation.html
Oldrepublic.NET - Leading Community For SWTOR
Companion Gifts - Datacrons - Crew Skills Guides - Level 50 Speeders - Vanity Pets

Bytesin
05.22.2012 , 09:11 AM | #2
Reserved for future editing.
Companion Gifts - Datacrons - Crew Skills Guides - Level 50 Speeders - Vanity Pets

CocoBadarica
05.22.2012 , 11:01 AM | #3
Nice guide, thanks for the info. Hope the Rated Warzones come soon.

Pekish
05.22.2012 , 11:49 AM | #4
nice guide the thing i dont understand fully is why when i get 12 medals and win sometimes i dont get 140 comm
huttball is where u see it the most since is the one that you win for the score and not because u accomplish the 6 goal
then come voidstair 2 decent team will never read the end

on the other hand Civil but novare too once u get 2 base it's very probable that you hold them all the way so it usually end up inside the time constrain

that means that victory is not always 100 commendation but is 100 commendation if you win in the first X miunts and then it goes down

anybody knows how is the formula for the time/commendation in victory?

Astarica
05.22.2012 , 12:04 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Pekish View Post
nice guide the thing i dont understand fully is why when i get 12 medals and win sometimes i dont get 140 comm
huttball is where u see it the most since is the one that you win for the score and not because u accomplish the 6 goal
then come voidstair 2 decent team will never read the end

on the other hand Civil but novare too once u get 2 base it's very probable that you hold them all the way so it usually end up inside the time constrain

that means that victory is not always 100 commendation but is 100 commendation if you win in the first X miunts and then it goes down

anybody knows how is the formula for the time/commendation in victory?
The amount of commendations you get goes up as a function of time up to some maximum (probably 100 for win + 40 for medals). I think the time factor differs depending on the map. Winning faster actually decreases the commendations you get (though you'll get more medals). That said, most maps have pretty generous time scaling factors such that you'll almost certainly still get the full 100 even if you won as fast as possible.

Bytesin
05.22.2012 , 12:51 PM | #6
Astarica is right. I had max 140 Commendations from a full game. Wining faster decreases the commendations you get, but 2 fast wins are better than 1 full game win.

ShadowOfVey
05.22.2012 , 01:32 PM | #7
This is easily noticed in huttball. Get your 8 medals and win a 6-0 in 5 minutes or something, you'll end up getting like 110 comms.

If I remember right, there's more to it than that though. Devs even stated that you'll be rewarded more when your team does better, and that doing things like intentionally letting the other team in civil war win would be a bad idea.

This bears out in my experience:

I've had several games of voidstar now where both teams made it to the datacore. One team (the losing team) made it pretty late, 10-30 seconds left on the clock. Us (the winning team) would make it to the datacore lets say 30 seconds faster than them.

Then we're awarded 115 comms or something like that. After getting 8 medals and after being in the game nearly as long as you can be...well minus maybe 60-90 seconds.

So your performance in relation to the other team...AS WELL AS how long the game lasts, may figure in.

texnvienna
05.22.2012 , 03:31 PM | #8
little off topic, just wondering if anyone else thinks its a good idea to possible earn social points for pvp. maybe it could be half what you get from fp, just a few points for pvp would be nice.

very nice guide btw great info to know!!

akalizzy
05.22.2012 , 03:33 PM | #9
Right now the way that Warzone Commendations are earned seems fine, especially since the Daily PvP mission only requires Warzones played not won. This probably helps a lot players on servers with low population where the teams are often unbalanced. The only problem is that right now War Hero gear is pretty expensive. Rated Warzones can't get here soon enough.

All Datacrons - Crew Skills Guides - Level 50 Speeders - Vanity Pets

ShadowOfVey
05.22.2012 , 03:43 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by texnvienna View Post
little off topic, just wondering if anyone else thinks its a good idea to possible earn social points for pvp. maybe it could be half what you get from fp, just a few points for pvp would be nice.

very nice guide btw great info to know!!
Has been posted several times in the past, with approval from most.

One of my ideas was that you get 5 social points at the end of a WZ for voting for an MVP. Not 5 social for each person that votes for you, just 5 social for the act of voting for someone.