Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hi end graphics problem SOLVED

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Hi end graphics problem SOLVED

Dark_Fantasm
05.21.2012 , 08:29 PM | #1
Hello friendlies,

Since Beta, I have had off-and-on problems with SWTOR's graphics freezing, glitching, or performing slowly. Mostly it is an issue of FPS dropping severely every time I move or look around, more so on some planets than others. Thing is, I have a finely built custom computer with an expensive graphics card that vastly exceeds BioWare's recommended hardware. Adjusting the in-game graphics to maximum or minimum settings has had no effect on this core problem.

Reinstalling the drivers for the card does have an effect, however, UNTIL THE NEXT PATCH TO SWTOR. That's right, my problem comes and goes when they update the game. Every patch, large content or small hot fix, causes this graphics problem to reset for me. Reinstalling any of the Nvidia drivers from scratch (checking the box to erase the previous driver and install fresh) fixes the problem for me every time.

I have been successfully implementing this solution for about 3 months now. That being said, if anyone is curious about my relevant specs, they are as follows:

Windows 7 64-bit
AMD Phenom II X4
4GB memory
120GB SSD running Windows and SWTOR
Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 ti (I prefer the 275.33 driver for stability, but I always try the newest one Nvidia releases)

I am highly curious if this is a viable solution for anybody else who has reported the "hitching/freezing" problem on high-end graphics cards that only occurs in this game.

JonJW
05.21.2012 , 08:39 PM | #2
I built a new PC back in december, and had problems with star wars giving me BSOD during loading screens when going to or from my ship and in and out of space combat. Here was my system spec's

Asus Sabertooth 990FX mobo
FX4100 OC'd 4.21GHz
Asus Radeon HD 6850
8 GB 1600 Corsair xms

Though I was having BSOD's with star wars I could play any other game flawlessly. Tried the card in a couple different machines with same results, would play other games fine but star wars would throw a fit. So I swapped out for a Asus GTX 560 and have had no problems since. I've had the card checked out and no one can find a problem. Bioware tech support was clueless too.

I have a friend that hasn't been able to play the game since patch 1.1

Dark_Fantasm
05.21.2012 , 08:50 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JonJW View Post
Though I was having BSOD's with star wars I could play any other game flawlessly. Tried the card in a couple different machines with same results, would play other games fine but star wars would throw a fit.

I have a friend that hasn't been able to play the game since patch 1.1
With my card, there are several drivers (all the ones after the 275.33 one that I use) that will sometimes cause SWTOR to crash hard and even freeze my computer! The graphics will look like they're melting on the screen, at first, and if I keep playing it's all over. Even at the character select screen! I experimented heavily to find the right driver that would work, (and of course it was very confusing to find that it would suddenly not work a few days later.)

I don't know about your ATI card, but suggest to your friend who hasn't been able to play to install his drivers from scratch (making sure that the driver installation is a "clean" installation that erases all settings and everything).

okwathne
06.21.2012 , 07:43 PM | #4
I would recomend to use driver sweeper, to clean out the drivers too....
Have done it a couple of times myself, and it works great after....
It is time for me to do it again after the last mini patch, have not been gaming too much lately.
And im gonna try going back to AMD 12.1 drivers :P

Reble-Dog-Squad
06.21.2012 , 07:50 PM | #5
Well your fist major problem for the first to post dudes is that fact that you are running AMD crap.......
Australian CE VIP
"Social Media Killed Society - Like The Video Killed the Radio Star"
System: i7 2600K, Asus P8z68-V Pro, 16gig RAM, Gigabyte GTX580 SOC
May The Force Be With You

monkgryphon
06.21.2012 , 07:52 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Reble-Dog-Squad View Post
Well your fist major problem for the first to post dudes is that fact that you are running AMD crap.......
I've recently gone over to AMD, because they are at par with nVidia on gpus. Also because the last 2 nvidia products I had suffered from TDR issues, which is a HUGE growing problem amongst all their cards. I'm believing it is driver related. Ever since I switched to an AMD, I have yet to experience a single problem.

Jenzali
06.21.2012 , 07:58 PM | #7
SWTOR seems to be CPU-bottlenecked. I got massive performance increases on both my high-end desktop and low-end laptop by using Game Booster or similar applications that close down unnecessary background processes.
Dashto Vant - Arsenal Mercenary - The most dashing bounty hunter in the galaxy.

RicoFrost
06.21.2012 , 08:07 PM | #8
I would really check all your drivers on your computer, chipset and network video, uninstall them all and install new ones. Also cleaning out your system is something i would recommend. Do the reg clean and the files clean.
http://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

As for the person getting bsod, i know your saying its only that game but its is mostly likely a drive or hardware that is causing that bsod.PSU is the most common problem.

http://www.windowsanswers.net/articl...acthvgoogausnz
Pretty much the number one cause has to do with drivers. Drivers form the nervous system of your computer, bridging the communications between Windows and the devices in your computer. If any of your drivers happen to be out-of-date, corrupt or in some cases, the completely wrong driver itself, it will send Windows for a tizzy when itís called upon to perform a task and result in a critical error that ends up with a Blue Screen error.

I've never see bsod problems and the game has never crashed on me. If you still getting problem i would recommend reinstalling windows and install all the updates and latest drivers.
Intel i7 2700K (@4.8Ghz) - 8GB Corsair - Windows 8.1-64Bit - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H - Corsair Force 3 SSD 128GB
Gigabyte GTX780 OC - Benq 120hz LED Monitor

My Custom UI - http://www.swtorui.com/downloads/info81-XpellUI.html

Valkirus
06.21.2012 , 08:14 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by monkgryphon View Post
I've recently gone over to AMD, because they are at par with nVidia on gpus. Also because the last 2 nvidia products I had suffered from TDR issues, which is a HUGE growing problem amongst all their cards. I'm believing it is driver related. Ever since I switched to an AMD, I have yet to experience a single problem.
Yeah. I have a Radeon 6850 and donot have the issues the OP has. No issues with any game I have played yet. TOR all settings maxed out and 60+ fps.
Trust is something which is earned.

mewsiesrissian
07.05.2012 , 06:30 PM | #10
I'm having a weird issue. I just logged on after maybe a month of not playing, and once I was in-game it asked me if I wanted to perform some sort of graphics update. I clicked OK and then it asked me if I wanted to keep it like that or if I wanted to revert back. I didn't notice any change so I just kept it. But now when I'm walking around, certain npc's have a weird digital-looking blur to them, and so do I sometimes as well especially if I'm walking around in water. Also, the same happens to the outside edges of doorways with red or green light-walls, the ones that let certain characters through. Anyone know how I can go back to what I was at before? I can't seem to find anything. Thanks!

My PC:
CPU: 2600K
GPU: Radeon 7970