Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Origin/TOR.com = Me confused.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Customer Service
Origin/TOR.com = Me confused.

Norfair
12.13.2011 , 11:25 AM | #1
I'm just going to make this clear from the off so I don't get branded a Wookie Lover. I'm not here to moan, troll or complain - I'm just having a conversation to keep me occupied while my brain deals with the fact that I won't be playing TOR this fine evening with a nice six pack, some nachos and The Shield on the telly [Get 'em Vic!]... *sob*

I per-ordered TOR back in July - when they first announced it's availability. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware that Origin and swtor.com were separate entities and assumed my purchase would more or less translate into EGA. Yes, I thought pre-ordering the game would mean I'd be eligible for EGA. I know, perhaps moronic in hindsight.

In fact, it was only last week my friend informed me of the client being available for pre-launch downloading and of course, he also told me to check my redeem code on swtor.com to make sure everything was in order. I was like "huh? code, swtor.com?" - Anyway, long story short, personally [read: opinion] I feel as though the importance of redeeming your code in a swift fashion wasn't made clear enough. It simply says on the e-mail from Origin [in regular print halfway down the receipt email] to register a code on another website.

It doesn't say anywhere that entering this code as soon as possible will determine your entrance into the TOR Universe. Or maybe it does, in small print somewhere. Perhaps they could have gone to an extra length to send out a - IN BIG BOLD LETTERS WITH LIGHT SABERS AND CONFETTI - more asserting information of what was to be done. You know; "Hello this is Bioware, redeem your code you got from Origin with our website swtor.com to insure your EGA"...

TLDR version.

I bought the game in July, only registered my code thingie three days ago and I feel a little erhm, goofed.
"On the last recorded day in History the ultimate computation will simulate the Universe and resurrect the dead!"

Beaver
12.13.2011 , 11:36 AM | #2
I completely agree with you OP. The importance of registering your pre-order code was not very clear to me either.

I pre-ordered a regular copy of TOR right when I was able to at bestbuy. but never bothered to put the code into the website. It wasn't for 2 months that I realized I needed to put the code in so I just bought the digital deluxe off origin, putt he code in right away and returned the one I ordered from bestbuy. So I missed out on some time as well not knowing that I had to put the code in asap. Never had to deal with staggered launch before.....silly stuff.
My lightsaber is bigger than yours!

Norfair
12.13.2011 , 11:46 AM | #3
Yeah there really should have been more of a visual push on redeeming your purchase code. Upon a second glance at the email it does state that you have to redeem a code but that information is halfway down the email and for an un-formatted 'receipt' type email you could easily have just passed it off as T&C's and what not, which is what I did. I rarely read receipt emails inside out. On well. My loss I guess
"On the last recorded day in History the ultimate computation will simulate the Universe and resurrect the dead!"

Norfair
12.14.2011 , 06:51 AM | #4
The more I think about this the more I get miffed. I was just looking through my Inbox there and I have emails from EA, Origin, Bioware and this SWTOR site all bombarding me with TOR info. They should have consolidated the delegation of information into one entity. And definitely have made the code redemption far more obvious to it's importance of getting in early.

And why could there not just be a master account that handles all information from EA, Origin and Bioware with regards to TOR information. As far as I remember when you purchase a game from Blizzard [I know, sorry to use this as a reference] your immediately prompted to enter any codes and are never taken to another website. There's a lesson to be learned there Bioware.

RobHouse
12.14.2011 , 06:58 AM | #5
These things happen, its not about being smart or dumb, sometimes things just slip through the cracks in your mind. I'm sorry yours was so costly; on the bright side i think that even Dec pre orders will get 3-4 extra days so you'll still get the weekend!

JerathDoren
12.14.2011 , 07:01 AM | #6
I feel your pain here. I paid for the Digital Download on the 23rd of July, then I did not register it until 27 of October. The only reason I did that is because I had a friend who was a beta tester from day one and he informed me that I might want to do that. Basically I screwed myself but I do agree with you that Origin did not spell it out clear enough. But meh hopefully I will get my email sometime between today and tomorrow. If not oh well, its just par for the course.

avallejoc
12.14.2011 , 07:05 AM | #7
Same story here. It's good to know I'm not only one suffering from Origin's (EA's) lack of communication skills

parnell
12.14.2011 , 07:07 AM | #8
I agree with you OP. Nothing was clear about this launch at all if you purchased on Origin. Everything was fine print and emails instead of clear concise language when purchasing. It makes me wonder if this would have been a successful way to launch any other kind of business. The uniqueness of gaming and the ability for an organization to kick it's customers around is unparalleled in any other industry.
Tank Time!

Norfair
12.14.2011 , 07:07 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by RobHouse View Post
These things happen, its not about being smart or dumb, sometimes things just slip through the cracks in your mind. I'm sorry yours was so costly; on the bright side i think that even Dec pre orders will get 3-4 extra days so you'll still get the weekend!
Yeah, you're right. It's more I'm frustrated with myself than anything. I've five days off work and nothing to do. Hopefully I'll get a day or two out of it. In the mean time though, I've to just sit here and wait. I have an awful habit of getting over-excited with MMO launches. Disabling my ability to do anything else until I actually play it.

:/

Norfair
12.14.2011 , 07:12 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by parnell View Post
The uniqueness of gaming and the ability for an organization to kick it's customers around is unparalleled in any other industry.
This is an interesting point. I've been around many an MMO launch over the years and there is usually always something 'fishy' going on. I'm not one for shouting abuse at developers or getting upset over not being able to play a game but I think you're right in that Game Developers have very large leeway when it comes to how much then can 'get away with' when dealing with their customers.

Numerous analogies could be applied with other industries in mind, but I think we know the score as it stands.