Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

The Dark Side is taking over SWTOR!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
The Dark Side is taking over SWTOR!!

rbkrbk's Avatar


rbkrbk
05.20.2012 , 11:50 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Hawk_IV View Post
Are we gonna start talking about Hobbes and Locke now? Are people essentially good or evil? HA! Both sides could be argued. What I'm saying is Star Wars is based on GOOD ideals and resistance to evil, so why is that changing? And if it should change it should be BALANCED and not one sided. If you want an evil game to smack people around, there are plenty of other games out there just for that, but a Star Wars MMO shouldn't be one of them. Force Unleashed was good for that
You can't "balance" something like that, unless you make the good guys look like jerks. We want to be able to do whatever the **** we want to people we consider idiots. That makes us look like a-holes to others. If they made that the Republic way, then there would be no difference.

I understand what you're saying, but what you're saying has no foundation. Most of it is conjecture and anecdotal, like how it's easier to play Imperial, or that there are more dark side drops, or how the Imperial fleet is more glamorous. These are not facts. Then you make assumptions like people play Imperial because the bad guys look cooler in the trailers, or because (since you seem to assume we're 12 year olds and make our decisions based on what is on the box's cover) there's a bigger picture of the bad guy on the front of the box. This is post hoc by the way, and you can't possibly know that's the reason. Satele, I would say, makes a much better impression in the "Hope" trailer. Not to mention, when you pick up the game, you will spend about a 1000x as much time looking at the loading screen compared to your box, on which, you will see a JEDI wielding a blue lightsaber in the front.

So there.
"The Old Republic is in EA’s top 10 franchises in terms of profitability, “but it’s not in our top five”. “So it’s a business contributor, while important, is not as important as Medal of Honor or Battlefield or FIFA or Madden or The Sims or SimCity..."
- John Riccitiello, CEO, Electronic Arts

Kapro's Avatar


Kapro
05.21.2012 , 12:19 AM | #12
The bias in design is most evident when you get off the starter planet to fleet.
The Imp side is clean and modern, with open outer vendor bays. The four sections are color coordinated with a different theme for each. The colors are blue, and purple with white lighting and red accents. The holo trees are a nice touch.
In contrast Republic fleet is a mess. The entire place is pee yellow with poo brown walls and a bunch of random colors thrown in. The outer bays are closed off and everything feels cluttered and random.

jgelling's Avatar


jgelling
05.21.2012 , 12:25 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Hawk_IV View Post
Now in SWTOR it seems 7/8's of the community (including BioWare/LucasArts/etc.) support the Sith and the Empire. Most people go dark, evil, corrupt. Why?
I think it might be a reflection of a much darker mood among the general public than you'd have seen three decades ago. The level of cynicism about government and the economy are striking if you compare polls then and now.

Believe it or not, there was a time when people foolishly trusted their government and believed things always get better with each new generation.

LOL, the fools. Only power brings progress, which is why the Sith are triumphing. That, and, well, the Republic is run by fools, imbeciles and hypocrites.

I'll put it to you this way: which do YOU think is more likely to exist - let alone triumph in a war? An aggressive, interstellar empire with a largely homogeneous culture run by a strong, authoritarian clique, which keeps thousands of star systems in line with military force, the secret police and fear?

Or a peaceful, wildly diverse, democratic republic of thousands of worlds, all with different cultures, run by a complex interaction between corrupt corporations, local political dynasties, a weak military, an elite army of pacifists, and rainbow/moonbeam power?

Nijraw's Avatar


Nijraw
05.21.2012 , 12:36 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by rbkrbk View Post
People are going dark side, because in real life, we can't smash someone's head in for talking back. Here we can. I find it very gratifying. When I've decided I'm OK with going to jail for manslaughter, then I'll do it in real life. But until then, this will have to do.

Despite the fairy tales you've had shoved down your throat as a child, most people want to be bad, not do-gooders.
So deep down in side your really a evil person and only keeps in line due to fear of consequences?

What you say may hold allot of truth now that think about it, most people in this World are greedy evil people deep down inside and only hide that fact for there own personal gain, in this World there are very few true self-righteous people most are self-centered & and controlled by there greedy emotions, Swtor and many games become a outlet for a evil persons deep down motives to show.

Aeyerath's Avatar


Aeyerath
05.21.2012 , 12:45 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Hawk_IV View Post
-Way easier to play an Imp, it seems like the gameplay is more flowing and epic
-Korriban can be conquered in 2 hours where it takes a day to beat Tython.
At the very least I would like a greater effort put in to balancing the factions.
May I just throw in this one comment - Regarding your complaint that the imperials seem easier.

In Almost every RPG that holds light and dark choices, Mass effect for example, Evil had the easier time. They took the simple and easy option, got the credits then and their.
Where as light, would go out of their way to do something for someone.

Now Im not sure in what way you found it easier, But you played LightSide knowing exactly that, That it wouldnt be as easy or as rewarding as the dark side.

jgelling's Avatar


jgelling
05.21.2012 , 12:51 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Aeyerath View Post
Now Im not sure in what way you found it easier, But you played LightSide knowing exactly that, That it wouldnt be as easy or as rewarding as the dark side.
True, but I don't think anyone took the light side expecting the storylines to be pretty bad by comparison (he talks about the gameplay being more flowing and epic, which is a function of the story as well).

If it was the same writing team for Republic and Imperial in this game, they really phoned it in from the Cliche Hotline for the Republic storylines. The consular story alone is so bad it drags the entire Republic down a little bit in my estimation

It's alright, no one wants to be a pebble thrower in an epic game anyway.

ChickenWangs's Avatar


ChickenWangs
05.21.2012 , 01:05 AM | #17
Imperial side is easy mode. Planetary areas for imps are more compact. You should try leveling an imperial and see how fast it flies by. And dark decisions make things go quicker. Usually dark decisions have a repercussion, but apparently that is impossible in a bioware game. Seriously they must have had a brain fart because all of the other games had consequences to being bad i.e. dead crewmates, bad relationships, or losing companions.

erei's Avatar


erei
05.21.2012 , 01:13 AM | #18
Totally agree with OP.
You also forget to mention the life size malgus statue we could won several weeks ago. Or the legacy skills (orbital bombardment vs dirty trick ? Project vs lightning storm ? come on...).
Also, the DS corruption, while there is no visible effect from LS.


Everything is made for the Empire side in the game.

Hawk_IV's Avatar


Hawk_IV
05.21.2012 , 01:30 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by erei View Post
Totally agree with OP.
You also forget to mention the life size malgus statue we could won several weeks ago. Or the legacy skills (orbital bombardment vs dirty trick ? Project vs lightning storm ? come on...).
Also, the DS corruption, while there is no visible effect from LS.
Yes I should Edit that in. This strengthens my suspicions that the devs play dark characters and promote imps. Thanks

Nyla's Avatar


Nyla
05.21.2012 , 01:31 AM | #20
I wanted to spend most time on Republic and play Imps on occasion and I ended spending my time as Imps.

I think there's 2 main reasons for me.
The first is I don't really like how the Republic stories start. None of them really hooked me so my highest character on republic side is 35.
The trooper and smuggler are nice stories but imo, for what I have seen, they don't match my ideas of thoses archetypes.
The jedi knight story seems just a story about a peacekeeper but I don't see the specifics of the Star Wars themes.
The only one I kinda liked is the consular because it's a bit about the Force but even then, not enough to level to 50 until now.

The second reason is the first companions, Khem is better than Qyzen and the girls Vette, Mako and Kaliyo easily outmatch T3, Corso and Aric.

That said I'm not dark side, I can't.
My lvl50 Operative and Assassin are light from the start.
The BH I'm currently leveling went to 3500 DS but for me, it doesn't feel good instead it feels dirty so I started to go back to the light side with that character.
I planned to level a DS Marauder after but I'm not sure she will be DS at 50. Shocking Vette and be an evil, corrupted Sith Warrior may sound fun at start but once 13-14, I feel like a jerk for keeping her collar, shocking her each time she says something or looking down almost everyone my character meets.
“When 900 years old, you reach… Look as good, you will not.”