Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Dark Side is taking over SWTOR!!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
The Dark Side is taking over SWTOR!!

Hawk_IV
05.20.2012 , 10:32 PM | #1
Remember the Star Wars movies? They were all about the greater good and standing up to evil! Luke and Obi-Wan were good guys!!!!! Now in SWTOR it seems 7/8's of the community (including BioWare/LucasArts/etc.) support the Sith and the Empire. Most people go dark, evil, corrupt. Why?

First just look at the Collector's Edition.
- On the front of the box is Darth Malgus, Satele is ON THE SIDE. On the cover of the game (CE) is an Imp symbol. Inside the box is a statue of DARTH MALGUS.
Then they come out with a contest to win a life-size statue of DARTH MALGUS.
There is a Flashpoint for both Factions about DARTH MALGUS.
Guess who's in all the trailers for SWTOR? darth malgus.

Next lets look at the game.
-Most players are Imperial
-PVP is imbalanced because everyone is Imperial. > This is huge. I play PVP and it doesn't matter how good your team is, if your on the republic, 19/20 times you'll lose. This is for lvl 50 PVP on my server. In lvl 10-49 PVP it's more random (which is better then being severely under powered).
-Way easier to play an Imp, it seems like the gameplay is more flowing and epic
-Way more Dark Side gear on pickups (it seems)
-Imperial Fleet seems way more glamorous and easy to use/accessible.
-Korriban can be conquered in 2 hours where it takes a day to beat Tython.

EDIT/UPDATE: -The Legacy Heroic Moment Powers are way cooler for the imps: Flamethrower, Lightning, etc. VS. Project, Dirty Kick, etc.
-Dark Side effects but no Light Side effects

This gives me the suspicion that all the developers are playing imps, and want to be "bad-@**". Star Wars is a world where good conquers, so it makes me frustrated when the imps seem dauntless.

In general it seems like SWTOR was meant for an imperial and someone on the dark side.
I have grown on it and I'm pretty used to it. I myself only have 2 evil characters but have 10 good characters. I am pretty much all light side.

At the very least I would like a greater effort put in to balancing the factions.

Questions: Why is Star Wars The Old Republic a dark game?
Does anyone else notice this?

P.S. GIVE US A MODEL OF SATELE (or Master Zallow, just like the Bounty Hunter and Darth Malgus models.)

EDIT/UPDATE: I believe there are all kinds of people, and so they should balance Good/Evil. Coming out with better Dark Side stuff makes it less enjoyable for Light Side people. Just like if there was more Light Side Stuff then the Dark Side people would have less fun.

DiabloDoom
05.20.2012 , 10:38 PM | #2
I actually chose imp assuming that it would of been the lesser chosen choice as I am always in favour of the underdog. Wish I went pub.

xshadey
05.20.2012 , 10:51 PM | #3
I agree completely...
And to make things worse, everyone one the repub side seems to go DARK SIDE aswel... lol..

rbkrbk
05.20.2012 , 10:55 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Hawk_IV View Post
Remember the Star Wars movies? They were all about the greater good and standing up to evil! Luke and Obi-Wan were good guys!!!!! Now in SWTOR it seems 7/8's of the community (including BioWare/LucasArts/etc.) support the Sith and the Empire. Most people go dark, evil, corrupt. Why?

First just look at the Collector's Edition.
- On the front of the box is Darth Malgus, Satele is ON THE SIDE. On the cover of the game (CE) is an Imp symbol. Inside the box is a statue of DARTH MALGUS.
Then they come out with a contest to win a life-size statue of DARTH MALGUS.
There is a Flashpoint for both Factions about DARTH MALGUS.
Guess who's in all the trailers for SWTOR? darth malgus.

Next lets look at the game.
-Most players are Imperial
-PVP is imbalanced because everyone is Imperial. > This is huge. I play PVP and it doesn't matter how good your team is, if your on the republic, 19/20 times you'll lose. This is for lvl 50 PVP on my server. In lvl 10-49 PVP it's more random (which is better then being severely under powered).
-Way easier to play an Imp, it seems like the gameplay is more flowing and epic
-Way more Dark Side gear on pickups (it seems)
-Imperial Fleet seems way more glamorous and easy to use/accessible.
-Korriban can be conquered in 2 hours where it takes a day to beat Tython.

This gives me the suspicion that all the developers are playing imps, and want to be "bad-@**". Star Wars is a world where good conquers, so it makes me frustrated when the imps seem dauntless.

In general it seems like SWTOR was meant for an imperial and someone on the dark side.
I have grown on it and I'm pretty used to it. I myself only have 2 evil characters but have 10 good characters. I am pretty much all light side.

At the very least I would like a greater effort put in to balancing the factions.

Questions: Why is Star Wars The Old Republic a dark game?
Does anyone else notice this?

P.S. GIVE US A MODEL OF SATELE (or Master Zallow, just like the Bounty Hunter and Darth Malgus models.)
People are going dark side, because in real life, we can't smash someone's head in for talking back. Here we can. I find it very gratifying. When I've decided I'm OK with going to jail for manslaughter, then I'll do it in real life. But until then, this will have to do.

Despite the fairy tales you've had shoved down your throat as a child, most people want to be bad, not do-gooders.
"The Old Republic is in EA’s top 10 franchises in terms of profitability, “but it’s not in our top five”. “So it’s a business contributor, while important, is not as important as Medal of Honor or Battlefield or FIFA or Madden or The Sims or SimCity..."
- John Riccitiello, CEO, Electronic Arts

KhamG
05.20.2012 , 11:09 PM | #5
Yeah. Only good for a Lessons Learned session by now, but the favoritism was noticable.

Jeffleigh
05.20.2012 , 11:09 PM | #6
On my server there seems to be the same number (on fleet anyway) of Imp and Rep

However, I have noticed (up to level 32 anyway) the Imp side seems to be a lot better developed on tattooine, balmorra and alderaan, and certainly the zones appeared to look a lot better - I will have to wait and see for the higher planets

Elhanan
05.20.2012 , 11:26 PM | #7
I switched to Imperial at launch, as I pref the Inquisitor storyline to that of the Jedi C seen during beta testing. And I am also fond of the Bounty Hunter story now, once I was able to get past the Great Hunt hook; like the Missions, but dislike the idea of a competition.

That said, I have also enjoyed the Trooper story, and believe the short while playing a Jedi Knight appears to offer the most epic origin of the lot. It is simply too bad that I also play melee characters so poorly; will likely be unable to see it to completion. But the Light Side offers some great stuff, too!
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. -
Edmund Burke

Grief Free Play 12-20-11

Hawk_IV
05.20.2012 , 11:31 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by rbkrbk View Post
People are going dark side, because in real life, we can't smash someone's head in for talking back. Here we can. I find it very gratifying. When I've decided I'm OK with going to jail for manslaughter, then I'll do it in real life. But until then, this will have to do.

Despite the fairy tales you've had shoved down your throat as a child, most people want to be bad, not do-gooders.
Are we gonna start talking about Hobbes and Locke now? Are people essentially good or evil? HA! Both sides could be argued. What I'm saying is Star Wars is based on GOOD ideals and resistance to evil, so why is that changing? And if it should change it should be BALANCED and not one sided. If you want an evil game to smack people around, there are plenty of other games out there just for that, but a Star Wars MMO shouldn't be one of them. Force Unleashed was good for that

Gruug
05.20.2012 , 11:43 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by DiabloDoom View Post
I actually chose imp assuming that it would of been the lesser chosen choice as I am always in favour of the underdog. Wish I went pub.
The "underdog" is always the "good" and not the other way around. It has always been easier to choose evil. That is the story behind Star Wars.

Give me an MMO that I can visit and have fun! Where what I pay for is not going to those that play for free.

LeonBraun
05.20.2012 , 11:47 PM | #10
This is not true... On my server, there is a healthy, active and frienly Republic community... Not really a reason to make this kind of generalization for all servers based on one's own server...
Honalee - Guild Leader of Midnight Sunrise - The Harbinger Server

The Lightwarder Legacy - The Harbinger Server Honalee - Honaloo - Hona - Panidora
Spyce - Cadogan - Praksas - Ratigan