Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Next two playable races

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
01.17.2013 , 02:41 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Babyduck View Post
Have a look at the long running poll on new races. Wookiees and Droids have a lot of votes, last time I checked Wookiees had the most votes.

Cel Cawdro's Ultimate "Community Desire for Species" Poll is the thread name. BioWare doesn't like for us to link to other topics so I won't provide a link. I can update that wookiee is no longer the top vote getter in that poll but it is still very popular with the third most votes.
I don't recall any issue with linking, but here is the overall top 5 on the poll:

1. Togruta
2. Nautolan
3. Kel Dor
4. Voss
5. Rodian

Edit: Not sure how he's calculating it but looking at the actual numbers it looks like Wookiees are #4 now.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

beanseh's Avatar


beanseh
01.17.2013 , 03:11 AM | #52
i would like to see a fix for twileks first before we add more races with things pointing out of their head. im disapointed that the only solution they have for helmets is to make the lekettu completely dissapear for full face masks or to clip through the helmet in other cases there needs to either be a seprate art asses for the helmets for twileks or having the helmets designed for twileks by default so that everyone is wareing the twilek compatable helmet

Fornix's Avatar


Fornix
01.17.2013 , 04:03 AM | #53
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.
Personally, I disagree. Although it completely depends on how it's done.

For example, myself I do not speak Japanese. Can I watch anime? Yes, most definitely. Heck, I even prefer it watching subbed over dubbed. Not understanding the language, doesn't make me want to punch in the screen.

Nor do I truly speak French. Sure, I can order a beer, buy some bread, etc. whilst in France. But a conversation? No, that's too far. However, I most definitely do not mind watching movies in French with subtitles. It by far makes me want to punch in the screen.

And the same goes for some languages in SWTOR. For example Jawa's making their sounds, are all fine to me. I most definitely wouldn't object to playing as one of them.

But there's also some alien language spoken by some which sounds like some sort of mutant fly is doing the talking. I most definitely wouldn't want to listen to that every quest no.
Member of <Helix>

TheNahash's Avatar


TheNahash
01.17.2013 , 04:08 AM | #54
Quote: Originally Posted by Babyduck View Post
Unfortunately this yet another example of BioWare NOT listening to it's customers base. This game would be far more popular if people could play species like wookies,droids,hutts and so on. I'm sorry but your story often gets in the way of having fun!
I find Wookies annoying to the point of not even using the Smuggler companion because of it. Hell, having to listen to the Huntmaster for more than 2secs is annoying to me. The same could be said about other non-english speaking races. It doesn't mean some people wouldn't enjoy them, but it also doesn't mean that the portion of people who'd enjoy endless hours of incessant moaning would be big enough to make their addition worthwhile.
I'm all for new races, but I agree that they should be limited to those that can speak english.

ganondorq's Avatar


ganondorq
01.17.2013 , 04:32 AM | #55
wookiees are the worst thing ever... i would not play a wookiee if my life depended on it. however, i wouldn't care if they were added as playable. because even though i loath them so, someone else might like them. i would avoid grouping with them though.

i think falleen are a good choice because they're different. they have different facial structures and it's enough to make them more than just humans with scales. also, they would have VERY intresting racial abilities lol. could possibly change your skin color for a little while, or use them sexay pheromones ;P

oh, a quick edit. zeltrons! it's true, they're just humans with pink/red/violet skin. but! just think about fun those pheromone racials could be! also... how powerful would a zeltron sith be? what with their ability to telepathically impose emotions onto other people, i'd say a sith zeltron would be incredibly dangerous!

SNCommand's Avatar


SNCommand
01.17.2013 , 04:34 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.
So true, so very true

You don't notice it that much because of how they have designed the game, but after playing a KOTOR mod where most of the voice acting was done with the alien stock lines I can honestly say that hearing alien babble more than normal english turns brain meltingly annoying after a while
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

pudim's Avatar


pudim
01.17.2013 , 04:36 AM | #57
Quote: Originally Posted by SNCommand View Post
So true, so very true

You don't notice it that much because of how they have designed the game, but after playing a KOTOR mod where most of the voice acting was done with the alien stock lines I can honestly say that hearing alien babble more than normal english turns brain meltingly annoying after a while
you don't even have to mod the game
just playing on Telos on Kotor 2 makes me want to choke every Ithorian on that planet
You either subscribe, or you don't, cartel coins are useless

SithVeritas's Avatar


SithVeritas
01.17.2013 , 04:43 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.
Lol! I already feel this way sometimes with Huttese speaking aliens.

Shai-Huluud's Avatar


Shai-Huluud
01.17.2013 , 05:04 AM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
Personally, I disagree. Although it completely depends on how it's done.

For example, myself I do not speak Japanese. Can I watch anime? Yes, most definitely. Heck, I even prefer it watching subbed over dubbed. Not understanding the language, doesn't make me want to punch in the screen.

Nor do I truly speak French. Sure, I can order a beer, buy some bread, etc. whilst in France. But a conversation? No, that's too far. However, I most definitely do not mind watching movies in French with subtitles. It by far makes me want to punch in the screen.

And the same goes for some languages in SWTOR. For example Jawa's making their sounds, are all fine to me. I most definitely wouldn't object to playing as one of them.

But there's also some alien language spoken by some which sounds like some sort of mutant fly is doing the talking. I most definitely wouldn't want to listen to that every quest no.
You have articulated my view on Damien's response perfectly. Damien you really need to look at this again. This game has loads going for it but to be perfectly frank the only thing that makes me think I'm playing in the Star Wars universe is when I hear a lightsabre...you need Wookies!
Neil.
RIP SWG - Jonni Mnemonic (Bria)

Edzew's Avatar


Edzew
01.17.2013 , 05:58 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.
and this right here is why this game will never be good!!!!! just because you all cant get voice actors/writers that are good enough we all should suffer??

i would like Kel Dor my self and i also think there shouldn't be any restrictions on the new races, both factions should be able to use them. Falleen would be cool too but there is no way we could actually have them and they work the way they should B^( how do you implement pheromones into a game?? B^P