Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Next two playable races

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Babyduck
01.19.2013 , 11:57 PM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Why are people being so ridiculously unrealistic? BW are not going to reinvent their playable species list without incentive. So, if you eventually want Kel Dor, Togruta, Nautolan etc. (I know I do) then we have to put up with some closer-to-human species for a while.

Here's the criteria:
- Must not only speak basic, but must not look stupid using the already-recorded voices in the game.
Even if a Trandoshan can speak Basic, he's not going to sound like ANY of the voices recorded so far. BW are not going to re-record hundreds of hours of voice work for one species.
- Must use a standard character skeleton
Ithorians would look awkward on the standard skeleton. Any species with proportions different to the standard human would be time consuming and difficult to implement. Not going to happen any time soon
- Must be able to use existing armor
Itkotchi and Devaronian could MAYBE get away with it here, since like the Twi'Lek their horns can protrude out of helmets. But Wookiees? No. Duros? No. Mon Cal? No. Togruta seems unlikely to be easy.
- Must make sense as ALL classes
BW are only going to release species that can play as all classes - at least for now. Case in point: No Jawa Jedi. No droid Sith. Just... no.
- Romance
As much as I love Kel Dor, if they can't kiss they won't make it. Romance has become an important part of the story for so many, but if you think Plo Koon kissing Kira Carsen might look stupid, I think you're right.

You'll notice that Cathar meets all of these criteria.
My personal choices that meet these criteria are Zeltron and Falleen.
Others that meet criteria are other near-human species like Arkanians, Kiffar etc.

I'd like more companions in future updates that are consisted of the more exotic races. A Nautolan second apprentice for Jedi Knight? Perfect!

BioWare is a business. You can't volunteer your time to make models for them because of licensing and contracting terms. You can't expect all races to be made playable. Don't berate BW devs for prioritising what the majority of people want instead of what a singular few want. I plan on playing this game for years - I'm willing to be patient.
I'm sorry but I find that adding more species that are human or near human is just boring. How many human species do we need? Put armor on them and they all look alike! I can't get BioWare to change their minds but I can vote with my wallet and with my words.
Member of Squadron 11-11-11

Costello
01.20.2013 , 03:27 AM | #192
Quote: Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Why are people being so ridiculously unrealistic? BW are not going to reinvent their playable species list without incentive. So, if you eventually want Kel Dor, Togruta, Nautolan etc. (I know I do) then we have to put up with some closer-to-human species for a while.

Here's the criteria:
- Must not only speak basic, but must not look stupid using the already-recorded voices in the game.
Even if a Trandoshan can speak Basic, he's not going to sound like ANY of the voices recorded so far. BW are not going to re-record hundreds of hours of voice work for one species.
- Must use a standard character skeleton
Ithorians would look awkward on the standard skeleton. Any species with proportions different to the standard human would be time consuming and difficult to implement. Not going to happen any time soon
- Must be able to use existing armor
Itkotchi and Devaronian could MAYBE get away with it here, since like the Twi'Lek their horns can protrude out of helmets. But Wookiees? No. Duros? No. Mon Cal? No. Togruta seems unlikely to be easy.
- Must make sense as ALL classes
BW are only going to release species that can play as all classes - at least for now. Case in point: No Jawa Jedi. No droid Sith. Just... no.
- Romance
As much as I love Kel Dor, if they can't kiss they won't make it. Romance has become an important part of the story for so many, but if you think Plo Koon kissing Kira Carsen might look stupid, I think you're right.

You'll notice that Cathar meets all of these criteria.
My personal choices that meet these criteria are Zeltron and Falleen.
Others that meet criteria are other near-human species like Arkanians, Kiffar etc.

I'd like more companions in future updates that are consisted of the more exotic races. A Nautolan second apprentice for Jedi Knight? Perfect!

BioWare is a business. You can't volunteer your time to make models for them because of licensing and contracting terms. You can't expect all races to be made playable. Don't berate BW devs for prioritising what the majority of people want instead of what a singular few want. I plan on playing this game for years - I'm willing to be patient.
I fully agree that people have to be realistic about what they ask or think will be implamented, though in your list I find Voice and Romance options to be less important. As voice is linked to class not species I already marvel that Sith Warrior sounds the same when I am on a FP despite being different species. And to say this species would sound different so shouldn't be added they should all sound slightly different and not every species that works with the empire would have an English accent.

As for Romance, the fade to black romance isn't that vital a part of the game play to me that I think 200 hours of playing an alien species would make me nerd rage that I missed a fade to black. Obviously not as easy and would take more work removing these options. But if they put a massive disclaimer saying at certain points you will not have a [Flirt] or [Kiss] option and will not be able to romance companion and NPCs I think people can weigh up how important it is for them.

I don't believe that many people will pay 15 bucks (and it could be more given thats what we pay for some recoloured armour) to play a white or grey Human. Even if they are easy to add whats the point and would we all be expected to purchase them in the hope that once every near human has been added we might see something recognisable as an alien.

Even looking at the screenshots of Cathar they are fairly unremarkable as a feline species. Talk of all the work that has gone into them if you look at other MMO's that have included a feline species they often look far more feline than the screen shots of cathar. Who look more like face painted humans with bad hair cuts. And then we are told if they don't sell there wont be any more species so like them or not you have to purchase if you hope to see any more. And is this a ploy, no matter how many are purchased no more species will be added. Cause I remember a year ago Erickson said it wouldn't be difficult to add more species? Why did he lie to the community who have had to wait over a year for the first new species.

JohnnyAceEVPTR
01.20.2013 , 04:06 AM | #193
The following is a list of species I would like to buy/play in SWTOR. Each species has at-least one example of a force-user, and as I have explained previously there is a quest that takes care of the need for the character to naturally speak basic. However, if you do not like the idea of technology in a highly advanced civilization(such as those in Star Wars) being implemented to alter the natural speaking patterns of a species I have labeled those that are able to speak basic naturally. (alphabetical order):
SPECIES (BASIC)
Arcona (basic)
Chagrian (basic)
Celegian (telepath so language is not an issue)
Dazouri (basic)
Devaronian (basic)
Duinuogwuin (basic)
Duros (basic)
Elomin (basic)
Falleen (basic)
Givin (?)
Ice Demon (?)
Kaleesh (basic)
Kel Dor (basic)
Jawa (no)
Mon Calamari (basic)
Neimoidian (basic)
Ongree (no)
Rodian (basic)
Selkath (?)
Talortai (?)
Togruta (basic)
Yoda's species (basic)
Wookiee (no)
For the species that would have armor clipping problems: make them like the companions such as Khem Val and just give different customizations.
If any other species were implemented I would play them if they were not purchased as standalone items i.e. as a part of an expansion not an individual cartel item.
THE MEGADETH LEGACY
Johnnyace 50 Shadow Davemustaine 50 Powertech
Isaacnewton 50 Guardian Ultimatmusician 50 Sorcerer
Deanmartin Gunslinger

Izorii
01.20.2013 , 06:05 AM | #194
I suspect that the only way that Bioware will take note that people want more alien species is if everyone voted with their wallet and left of course the only problem with that is that once you stop subbing you can't vote. Personaly I have unsubbed twice stating that the lack of decent playable species is my major concern. Then I check in on the forums to see if anything has changed to make me come back and I see threads like this and I feal that if I dont resub and voice my concerns and issues then nothing will change and so even just by having a dev responce and people with the same thoughts as myself posting they have got an extra months sub off of me.

Now I have posted in a lot of species request posts, and in most the people who want to play and pay for new species always come up with the same arguments.
1) Disable romance if it is such a game breaker, a fade to black screen is not worth not being able to play the species I want.
2) Dissable head slots on species with strange heads, most people I know have this turned off anyway. Most people who want to play an alien will see this as a small price to pay
3) Voiceovers, my SIth Pure Blood, mt Twi-lek and and my human sith Inquisitor all had the same voices who cares if a Trandoshan, a Kel Dor and a Rodian all have the same voices. There is little scripted chat in end game, and end game flash points Roleplayers would rather have speah bubbles and tell there own story and most other players use space bar once they have done the flash point 10 times.

As some people have already mentioned before launch we were told if people wanted more species they would be added. Well still waiting and we also got this Gem on the 15/May/2012

Daniel Erickson Can’t comment on what species you might see, but you can expect the roster of playable species to expand… this year.

As most of us know it is now in 2013 and the species roster has not expladed and the only one on the books looks to be Cathar.

Personaly I dont want another near human I want an Alien species. A Kel'dor a Gran a Mon Cal, a Rodian something I can feel is my own character. As has been said the only 2 things I can do is vote with my voice and my wallet. Unfortunatly once you vote with your wallet you cant vote with your voice. I would be more than happy to spend 30 bucks or 50 bucks on a new species. But there is no reason for BW to do this when people will buy an even skimper slave girl outfit fot 15 bucks and thats no development time at all.

Sage
01.20.2013 , 06:25 AM | #195
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
@Sage why no Duros?
You know what? I take this one back. Duros have large heads - just scale the helmets. Perhaps a tricky one to implement but surely not impossible?

Quote: Originally Posted by Izorii View Post
1) Disable romance if it is such a game breaker, a fade to black screen is not worth not being able to play the species I want.
2) Dissable head slots on species with strange heads, most people I know have this turned off anyway. Most people who want to play an alien will see this as a small price to pay
3) Voiceovers, my SIth Pure Blood, mt Twi-lek and and my human sith Inquisitor all had the same voices who cares if a Trandoshan, a Kel Dor and a Rodian all have the same voices. There is little scripted chat in end game, and end game flash points Roleplayers would rather have speah bubbles and tell there own story and most other players use space bar once they have done the flash point 10 times.
1) Okay, I understand the points about the fade-to-black romance. But people are only talking about the actual "sex scene" part. Some players might actually enjoy the romance storyline. And considering the amount of call from the players over same-sex romance, I don't think BioWare wants to just cut it in order to get certain species into the game. Having said that, it's certainly not impossible and a good workaround for when they decide to do it. I just don't see it being a priority.

2) Again, a decent workaround. I also have my helmet off on most of my characters. Still not a priority over compatible species IMO. This is probably the most realistic compromise that BW will make in the forseeable future. Brings in Duros, Iktochi, Devaronian (probably only males though?), Mon Cal, Neimoidian, Nautolan, Cerean... for a start.

3.) Kel Dor could probably just use the echo sound like wearing a helmet. Trandoshans don't sound like humans at all from what I've seen. And can Rodians even speak basic? This may be suitable for those who simply PvP and play endgame, but as a roleplayer I'm not willing to sacrifice... "realism".

NasherUK
01.20.2013 , 06:32 AM | #196
If they are going to be added in with a full expansion (which has a much higher budget) then maybe they could hire some more voice actors for races like trandoshan etc, which speak basic but with a strong accent. I think that is as far away from human we are going to get.

Lucasarts have already said NO to wookies as jedi/sith and the "Yoda race" as playable in the past to other developers, so I highly doubt we will ever see them.

Sage
01.20.2013 , 06:51 AM | #197
Quote: Originally Posted by NasherUK View Post
If they are going to be added in with a full expansion (which has a much higher budget) then maybe they could hire some more voice actors for races like trandoshan etc, which speak basic but with a strong accent.
Talking about hundreds of hours of dialogue here. Almost definitely off the cards. The implementation would be difficult, too, since at present each class only has two sets of voice recordings based on gender not species. That's a whole lot of re-coding.

I think the best we can hope for is more voice morphs like the helmet echo but maybe more of a raspy morph?

Vitas
01.20.2013 , 07:04 AM | #198
If they are going to be added in with a full expansion (which has a much higher budget) then maybe they could hire some more voice actors for races like trandoshan etc, which speak basic but with a strong accent. I think that is as far away from human we are going to get.

Lucasarts have already said NO to wookies as jedi/sith and the "Yoda race" as playable in the past to other developers, so I highly doubt we will ever see them.
They've actually recently introduced more Wookiee Jedi characters into the Star Wars universe. BioWare have yet to ask if they could allow players to create Wookiee Jedis so there's still a chance, plus it would be non-canon. In addition Star Wars Galaxies allowed you to create Wookiee Jedi.

I think Yoda's species would be more acceptable as a companion since little of their background would have to be revealed, even through dialogue.
If you'd like to see more Explorable Worlds in Star Wars: The Old Republic,
then head to this thread and discuss, list and vote which you'd like to see and explore in the game:

DAWUSS
01.20.2013 , 07:06 AM | #199
I nominate Clawdites.

Izorii
01.20.2013 , 07:26 AM | #200

Originally they said if they wanted to add a new species it would be by expansion so a Trandoshan would get completly new start planet new voice acting and new sub quests through the game. However at this point they expected a WOW killer and not a 500 - 1mill subscription base.

Also when they first planned the game they had simple rules like no Sith Pureblood Sith Inquisotrs because it broke the law of the story and a number of dialogs. Now we have Sith PureBlood Troopers, Smuglers and Jedi Knights. We have Chiss as Sith Warriors and soon we will have Cathar as Imperials. I think its safe to say the old rules are out the window and the new rule is how much will the change cost and how much will they make from it.