Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Next two playable races

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Dzan
01.19.2013 , 01:33 PM | #171
Quote: Originally Posted by Costello View Post
A new species should be identifiable straight away not indistinguishable from what we already have all very very similar. At least if its going to be worth purchasing.
My thoughts exatly.Really i personaly don't want more recolored spieces.

Dzan
01.19.2013 , 01:38 PM | #172
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
  • Duros
  • Devaronian
  • Kel Dor
  • Mon Calamari
  • Nautolan
  • Rodian
  • Trandoshan
If they atleast add some of those i will be happy(specially Kel Dor and Mon Calamari)

Vlacke
01.19.2013 , 01:55 PM | #173
- Togruta
- Kel'Dor
- Nautolan
- Rodian

Any of these would be just fine by me.
Telcontar Legacy

Arkerus
01.19.2013 , 02:00 PM | #174
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.
Makes sense. I know hearing the limited loops of alien speak right now is occasionally grating.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

MsMalice
01.19.2013 , 03:06 PM | #175
The Togruta provide a unique problem in this regard, in regards to the tentacles. Yes, the Twi'leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player, whereas the Togruta's canonically drape across the front of the character. This means that they struggle to work with the existing animations and gear without clipping -- indeed, the first screenshot you see for Ashara if you google her is one with her chin ridiculously clipping through her tentacle. While this may be acceptable for a companion who is frequently offscreen while fighting, or NPCs who we can dress and pose carefully, its much more problematic for player characters who need to be able to wear anything and perform any animation and still look good.
But... but... I wanted a Togruta.
Please, please, pretty please with a jawa on top?
RAYE
R.I.P. JIRAYA

Nemmar
01.19.2013 , 03:39 PM | #176
Im gonna be blunt.

We desperatly need a small stature race.

Be it Jawa or Yoda's race (would rather not the pig -race and elephant races but they also fit the bill).

I know many people that enjoy having midget characters and SWTOR isnt delivering for them.

Arkerus
01.19.2013 , 03:49 PM | #177
Quote: Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
Im gonna be blunt.

We desperatly need a small stature race.

Be it Jawa or Yoda's race (would rather not the pig -race and elephant races but they also fit the bill).

I know many people that enjoy having midget characters and SWTOR isnt delivering for them.
Unless they completely redesign the way the models work, its not happening. As he said, there is a huge amount of work that goes into the "standard" model we have now. We will only see small models if there is a major expansion to the game and they even put the time into it.
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

TheSeventhJedi
01.19.2013 , 05:36 PM | #178
Making an alien race fully human playable is a huge amount of work, at least if you want to give players the level of customization options that they have come to expect. It takes a lot of work to make all of the customization options work together and look good, while still ensuring people still can find looks that are unique to each other.
I'm not trying to pour cold water in the species discussion. Quite the opposite - if the Cathar do well, I hope to expand your options even more, and we should know the answer to that 'soonish'. I just don't want anyone to think that just because an alien is currently in the game as an NPC, that it is trivial to turn it into player art -- it's a TON of work to do that, and do it well.
Aside from the fact that I'm dying for a Togruta - and it pains me to hear that, let's talk about what you've got here.

#1 We don't have the customization options we've come to expect. There are a few pre-made faces (one, if you play a Sith - they all look EXACTLY the same within each body type) to choose from, and I can choose a few dangly things or paint to throw on it. That's it for all races. I can't tell you how many times I've run into my clone in-game. Heck, I thought I was being unique with some of my choices for a cyborg character, and grouped with a player who had EXACTLY the same thing. I think many of us would be fine with extra aliens using only the appearances of those aliens that are already in-game. That's practically all we have to begin with.

#2 It kind of does feel like you're throwing cold water on the discussion. When you tell us you should know about Cathar "soon-ish", well - when? For cryin' out loud? You announced the possibility - it's gotta be six months or more in the past, I don't even remember anymore, and we still don't even have an availability guess for them. You guys have abused the word "soon" so much that it's absolutely meaningless. Let's say - optimistically, that we can play Cathar within three months. That's nine months from announcement to implementation. Let's say - with ridiculous optimism, that everyone buys the race, everyone loves it, the game turns into Cat Wars, and you decide to jump on that cash cow ASAP, announcing a new playable species three months after Cathar are made available. If it takes you even half that time to implement the new one (Togruta are at the top of that list - we hope you go with it, but if it's as hard as you say, I'm being optimistic AGAIN,) it'll still be almost a year before I get something other than Cathar. Will I still be rolling alts by then? I seriously hope you have a legitimate xpac up your sleeves, because if you don't, I fear that no one will have a reason to buy into a second additional species.

That puts a new species, at best, in December of this year. If I'm still around, I'll have been playing for two years. That's quite a long time to wait.

I get it. Your job is hard. Coding is hard. None of us know how to do it. Know what else is hard? I teach inner-city kids who started speaking English a few years ago and read more poorly than my first grader to pass the proficiency exam in reading and writing. That's hard too. Are there plenty of excuses about why it's hard to do, why I might not even be able to at all? You bet. Do any of those excuses matter? Nope. I do it, successfully, twice a year. That's what I'm paid to do, so, impossible task that it is - and since I want to keep getting paid, I just do it. I work long hours. I go to school and learn new techniques. I'm constantly in touch with my "customers" and getting feedback. At the end of the day, I must give my "customers" what they need, or they quit. I don't think it's too much to ask the same of a company I pay on a monthly basis.

No more soon. No more excuses. We'll pay you! We promise! Just do it!
Click for free things, please:

http://www.swtor.com/r/GlscnB

(It's a referral link - whether you're a new or returning member,
you'll get all sorts of goodies!)

Edzew
01.19.2013 , 06:02 PM | #179
Quote: Originally Posted by TheSeventhJedi View Post
Aside from the fact that I'm dying for a Togruta - and it pains me to hear that, let's talk about what you've got here.

#1 We don't have the customization options we've come to expect. There are a few pre-made faces (one, if you play a Sith - they all look EXACTLY the same within each body type) to choose from, and I can choose a few dangly things or paint to throw on it. That's it for all races. I can't tell you how many times I've run into my clone in-game. Heck, I thought I was being unique with some of my choices for a cyborg character, and grouped with a player who had EXACTLY the same thing. I think many of us would be fine with extra aliens using only the appearances of those aliens that are already in-game. That's practically all we have to begin with.

#2 It kind of does feel like you're throwing cold water on the discussion. When you tell us you should know about Cathar "soon-ish", well - when? For cryin' out loud? You announced the possibility - it's gotta be six months or more in the past, I don't even remember anymore, and we still don't even have an availability guess for them. You guys have abused the word "soon" so much that it's absolutely meaningless. Let's say - optimistically, that we can play Cathar within three months. That's nine months from announcement to implementation. Let's say - with ridiculous optimism, that everyone buys the race, everyone loves it, the game turns into Cat Wars, and you decide to jump on that cash cow ASAP, announcing a new playable species three months after Cathar are made available. If it takes you even half that time to implement the new one (Togruta are at the top of that list - we hope you go with it, but if it's as hard as you say, I'm being optimistic AGAIN,) it'll still be almost a year before I get something other than Cathar. Will I still be rolling alts by then? I seriously hope you have a legitimate xpac up your sleeves, because if you don't, I fear that no one will have a reason to buy into a second additional species.

That puts a new species, at best, in December of this year. If I'm still around, I'll have been playing for two years. That's quite a long time to wait.

I get it. Your job is hard. Coding is hard. None of us know how to do it. Know what else is hard? I teach inner-city kids who started speaking English a few years ago and read more poorly than my first grader to pass the proficiency exam in reading and writing. That's hard too. Are there plenty of excuses about why it's hard to do, why I might not even be able to at all? You bet. Do any of those excuses matter? Nope. I do it, successfully, twice a year. That's what I'm paid to do, so, impossible task that it is - and since I want to keep getting paid, I just do it. I work long hours. I go to school and learn new techniques. I'm constantly in touch with my "customers" and getting feedback. At the end of the day, I must give my "customers" what they need, or they quit. I don't think it's too much to ask the same of a company I pay on a monthly basis.

No more soon. No more excuses. We'll pay you! We promise! Just do it!
agree 1000%!!!!! thank you!!!

Costello
01.19.2013 , 06:27 PM | #180
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
How do you know that that will be how it happens? Cause if you are an Imperial Chiss and you speak to the Chiss on Hoth, you can actually learn more about the Individual Chiss that you talk to because the Chiss only open up to other Chiss. Meaning, as an Imperial Chiss on Hoth you get extra lines of Dialogue when talking to some of the NPC's on Hoth.

So, how do you know that that couldn't be how it's done for the Voss if they were to ever add them. I think that the better example for what you were driving at, would be if they were to ever allow Players to play as the Gormack.
Cause they would have to re-record the Voss dialogue and the player dialogue and re-write many of the quests and completely rework aspects where you are given any honours making mention of a non voss. Could they do it sure, but given they are having a hard enough time for Cathar to be added, rewritting quests and dialogue doesn't seem likely.

I can't see the appeal of Togruta, they seem very similar to Twi'lek and most notiable member is an annoying Padwane in the Clone Wars Cartoons. Who seemed to be added to appeal to the younger fans so can't see them as adding anything unique to the choice of species. If I want to place a specie that has head-tails there is one, maybe not ideal but if they are looking to charge for new species is something that isn't currently an option. Of which there is an impressively long list of any species that isn't a coloured human i.e. Trandoshian, Rodiean, Bothan, Kel Dor, Gran, Mon Cal, etc etc etc.