Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Next two playable races

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

JohnnyAceEVPTR
01.17.2013 , 10:15 PM | #121
Quote: Originally Posted by DamionSchubert View Post
We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.
Have you seen/played the Sith Inquisitor story on Belsavis?
THE MEGADETH LEGACY
Johnnyace 50 Shadow Davemustaine 50 Powertech
Isaacnewton 50 Guardian Ultimatmusician 50 Sorcerer
Deanmartin Gunslinger

chuixupu
01.18.2013 , 12:29 AM | #122
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaze-Yama View Post
This is just a cop out IMO. Saying you won't put togruta in the game because you care too much about clipping
For the record, he didn't say that. He just said it's more difficult to do, and why they aren't playable already.

Quote:
Basically you are holding customers hostage by forcing us to buy the cathar race even if we don't want to roll one just for the small chance you may add more species at a later date.
Who is this "we"? A lot of people do want to play them. They had a presence in KOTOR and a lot of people do, in fact want to play Cathar.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Vitas
01.18.2013 , 02:24 AM | #123
As much as I wouldn't mind seeing more alien like species to play as such as the Togruta and Nautolan, one near-Human species which I know players have frequently requested for are Zeltrons. As there currently isn't a species whose color is pink to crimson (apart from Sith Purebloods), this would be the next ideal near-human species to implement and presmuably would take less time to develop. It could easily be included in a major update after 1.7 along with Cathar.
If you'd like to see more Explorable Worlds in Star Wars: The Old Republic,
then head to this thread and discuss, list and vote which you'd like to see and explore in the game:

symke
01.18.2013 , 03:08 AM | #124
We probably would never make a non-English speaking player race. I know it seems attractive, but simply put, hearing alien for way too long drives you crazy. An early build of the game had Tython populated by a race other than Twi'leks, and after about the fourth quest, you want to put a fist through your monitor.

So any races we add in the future will need to plausibly be able to speak basic.
Wow ... he actually does exist!

Talahar
01.18.2013 , 03:10 AM | #125
All I want for them to do is to do it *right*. Which apparantly they want to do, too.
And while they're at it, fix the Twi'Lek issues with no hoods and disappearing lekku when wearing certain masks.
It's like the worst of both worlds: no hoods because lekku, no lekku with masks because clipping?
Then why do the lekku clip through certain helmets?
That doesn't make sense. At all. Not even a little.
Darth Banish, Twi'Lek Sorcerer 55, The Progenitor
Major Gyllian Talahar, Human Commando 55, The Progenitor
Captain Galen Talahar, Human Gunslinger 39, The Progenitor
SGR Supporter

smexymage
01.18.2013 , 04:32 AM | #126
Yes, the Twi'leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player.
The very first time I remember seeing a Twi'lek was in Return of the Jedi and the "tentacles" were coming around the front.

http://content8.flixster.com/questio...145626_std.jpg

Also, the Twi'leks in KOTOR has the same kind of design.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...daa-KOTOR2.jpg

So this stance seems lazy to me and one that has not been properly researched or considered.
. Never Forget

JimG
01.18.2013 , 05:22 AM | #127
Quote: Originally Posted by smexymage View Post
The very first time I remember seeing a Twi'lek was in Return of the Jedi and the "tentacles" were coming around the front.
Also, the Twi'leks in KOTOR has the same kind of design.
So this stance seems lazy to me and one that has not been properly researched or considered.
You're misreading what he said. He said the "Yes, the Twi'leks have tentacles too, but they are typically behind the player.". He's not talking about Twi'leks from the movies or the EU. He's saying that the playable Twi'lek character in this particular game has Lekku in the back and that's easier for all the compatibility/clipping issues than a Togruta or Nautolan would be. Unlike a Twi'lek, either of those species would have to have something coming around the front of the character. Twi'leks can have their Lekku go around the back or the front and, obviously, they chose to have them go around the back for players because it was easier, based on what he said here were the art/clipping issues.

Selecting less problematic species to start the game with does not equal "being lazy". They've already said the future of adding any new species will depend upon how well the Cathar do in the Cartel Market. If the Cathar sell well enough, they will make more species. If the Cathar don't sell well, then they probably won't or at least it will take a long time to get any new species. They've already made it very clear though that they aren't going to make any decisions on new species until they see how the Cathar do. If they expect that Togruta or Nautolan will generate enough money on the Cartel Market to make it worth it to devote the extra time to designing them, then I'm sure they'll do it.

Khalidahm
01.18.2013 , 05:26 AM | #128

There have been selkath on clone wars that speak basic, so I could live with it but at least but the voice through a filter to give the raspy voice selkath and kel-dor have. And for a jawa if ever they are very techie so it plausable to assume they could build a translator out of a translator and droid vocabulator.

Khalidahm
01.18.2013 , 05:34 AM | #129
Quote: Originally Posted by AlexDougherty View Post
Selkath for Republic, I want to play one of these fish people, please.
Echani for Imperial, I only saw these in full armour in Kotor2, so lets see what they look like.
Echani are white haired humans that are very athletic and good at martial arts, the handmaidens are echini except the one that comes with you "Brianna" her mother was human

Khalidahm
01.18.2013 , 05:53 AM | #130
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaze-Yama View Post
Of course we also lack the ability to edit our existing characters in terms of hair or makeup so expecting species is pretty much a pipedream at this point. I personally don't feel much incentive to pay for Cathar when every response to adding more species is that it is super difficult and there is no guarantee that devs will even listen to fans for what species they want. Basically you are holding customers hostage by forcing us to buy the cathar race even if we don't want to roll one just for the small chance you may add more species at a later date. I mean you announced Cathar like a year ago and they still havn't been released it is majorly disappointing that Bioware has consistently failed to give any reasonable responses about species that fans actually want.
That might be a difficult thing for some aliens as zabrak or twiliek where their major customisations are their horns and lekku patterns respectivly. The horns on zabrak are tied to their hair so you cant change the hair with our changing the horns and for the twiliek lekkus the patterns on them are either tattooes or pigmentation. Overall it wouldnt seem believable thats like coming in to a story with tattoos all over your face in one scene the next you dont but have a scar instead.

It wouldnt seem too difficult for humans, miraluka chiss as the most you could do would probably be change the hair and in the case of miraluka change the mask