Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Worst EU writer?

Captain_Zone
05.19.2012 , 11:37 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by JimNoonienSoong View Post
Personally I think Drew is an amazing writer, true, Revan was crap. But you can't deny his work on Kotor I, II and TOR is pretty damn good.
KotOR I was a bit predictable, tbh. Not a bad piece of writing, though. Now, KotOR II was Chris Avellone and the writing in that was a masterpiece. Also, Drew did a decent job on The Jedi Prisoner, and Kyle Katarn/Johnny Bravo as the voice of Revan was just icing on the cake!

Jeff Bennett is the MAN!
. OPOD
Shivalka: Darth Baras is quite large, isn't he?
Joran Karn: You, my dear Sith, have just mastered the art of understatement.

Chaac
05.21.2012 , 04:28 AM | #12
I guess I'm one of those minority people who actually liked Traviss. I generally tended to enjoy her writing and characterization. Yeah I'm not big on the Mando's much either but it made at least a semi interesting change to see someone on a par with Jedi that wasn't Sith and it's not exactly like Traviss leaving has withdrawn the Mando's from the story, they were still present plenty in FotJ.

Regarding the whole Jaina going to them for training situation I thought it was pretty well explained why she went there. Jacen knew her fighting style pretty well having grown up with her, knew what to expect from her and had grown into a better combatant than her through his five year journey. He had plenty of tactics that she would have trouble counteracting so she went to Boba to learn fighting styles very different to her usual so she could fight Jacen in ways he wouldn't expect her to. It seemed to me that it was less about Traviss saying the Mando's could easily take Jacen and more about Jaina coupling Mando styles with her own styles to increase her total ability and give Jacen a few surprises. But meh, that's just my opinion.

My least favourite author currently would probably be Christie Golden. I just didn't enjoy her novels that much, the characters always felt remarkably different to how Denning and Allston were portraying them, some moments seemed to drag while others felt rushed and overall I just found her books a bit of a chore to read compared to some of the others.
Wedge: "I don't like this notion of dovin basal mines that pursue you."
Han: "Me, either. I'm going to draft a strongly worded letter to the Yuuzhan Vong high commander and insist he stop using them."

Rayla_Felana
05.21.2012 , 06:29 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
KotOR I was a bit predictable, tbh. Not a bad piece of writing, though. Now, KotOR II was Chris Avellone and the writing in that was a masterpiece. Also, Drew did a decent job on The Jedi Prisoner, and Kyle Katarn/Johnny Bravo as the voice of Revan was just icing on the cake!

Jeff Bennett is the MAN!
This, he is nowhere near as good as some people seem to think he is, compare him to James Luceno and he looks amateur at best.

dazednconfuzed
05.21.2012 , 06:34 AM | #14
To be fair, I like his NON-Star Wars sci-fi. Hell, I even like some of his Star Wars novels. But overall, you're right. He does seem to be Teh Pwnzor on everyone else. He still isn't as bad as Traviss, though.

Now, my vote for #2 is Drew Karpyshyn. I know I'm probably going to take flak for this, but the Revan novel just wasn't that good. *shrug*

Now, if we went for Best, to me it would be a toss-up between Stackpole and Allston. Both X-Wing novelists, and both outstanding. Yes, I KNOW the obvious choice is Zahn, and he comes in a close third.
/Agreed. Especially with the Stackpole/Allston comment
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

Captain_Zone
05.21.2012 , 09:49 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by dazednconfuzed View Post
/Agreed. Especially with the Stackpole/Allston comment
What makes them so good, imo, is that they don't use ANY of the major characters from the movies, except in cameos. Their novels stand on their own merits, not on "Luke, Leia, and Han".
. OPOD

Mirdthestrill
05.21.2012 , 09:55 AM | #16
*sigh* Why does everyone end up using these topics to horribly bash KT and all her work and anything related to it? That's really all this is. For a full conversation on the subject, here's a link. Me, Zone, Walsh, Aximand, and Rayla.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=378497
I <3 alts!

Captain_Zone
05.21.2012 , 10:03 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Mirdthestrill View Post
*sigh* Why does everyone end up using these topics to horribly bash KT and all her work and anything related to it? That's really all this is. For a full conversation on the subject, here's a link. Me, Zone, Walsh, Aximand, and Rayla.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=378497
I have intentionally kept my Traviss bashing on here to a minimum.
. OPOD

Darth_Omega
05.21.2012 , 11:34 PM | #18
Well everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I personally like Drew. Sure, Revan wasn't that great, but has everyone just forgotten about the Darth Bane Trilogy? Those were the best books I have ever read! And whoever said James Luceno is a much better writer than him, in my opinion he is not. I tried to read that Darth Vader book, and it was just terribly written, and just........ no. That's just my opinion though.
"A day, a year, a millennium -- it matters not. I hold the patience of stone and the will of stars" - Sith Emperor

dazednconfuzed
05.22.2012 , 04:03 AM | #19
What makes them so good, imo, is that they don't use ANY of the major characters from the movies, except in cameos. Their novels stand on their own merits, not on "Luke, Leia, and Han".
Agreed, and they flesh out some previously minor characters very well, Wedge, for example.
Jedi Master Kai'sinn. Not only evil hides in the shadows.
Jedi Master Tzathali. Korriban/Tython Exchange Program.
Major Dulne. Nothing will stop Havoc Squad, Sir.

Rayla_Felana
05.22.2012 , 05:18 AM | #20
In my opinion, Chris Avellone was the best of all of them and he pulled it off in a game format:

The Restored Cut of the Final trial.