Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Worst EU writer?


JimNoonienSoong's Avatar


JimNoonienSoong
05.19.2012 , 11:17 AM | #1
Who do you believe is the worst writer of the EU? Personally I think it's Karen Traviss. The woman has never read a Star Wars book she hasn't written, she shoves Mandalorians into everything, she thinks that the Jedi are Nazis and frequently gets into flame wars with fans. She always talks about how the Mando's are better than everyone, she has Jaina Solo(Sword of the gosh darn Jedi) go to them for training against Jacen instead of going to her uncle, who had recently just schooled him. Traviss then displays her being beat severely by the mandalorians because of their lightsaber proof armour and ability to disappear from the force(ignoring the fact that Jaina is a veteran of the Yuuzhan Vong war). Then proceeds to imply that the Mandalorians could have easily beaten Caedus and the "Bathrobe Brigade" in her words.

Slowpokeking's Avatar


Slowpokeking
05.19.2012 , 11:30 AM | #2
Is she the one who wrote those horrible TCW novels?

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.19.2012 , 11:34 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by JimNoonienSoong View Post
Who do you believe is the worst writer of the EU? Personally I think it's Karen Traviss. The woman has never read a Star Wars book she hasn't written, she shoves Mandalorians into everything, she thinks that the Jedi are Nazis and frequently gets into flame wars with fans. She always talks about how the Mando's are better than everyone, she has Jaina Solo(Sword of the gosh darn Jedi) go to them for training against Jacen instead of going to her uncle, who had recently just schooled him. Traviss then displays her being beat severely by the mandalorians because of their lightsaber proof armour and ability to disappear from the force(ignoring the fact that Jaina is a veteran of the Yuuzhan Vong war). Then proceeds to imply that the Mandalorians could have easily beaten Caedus and the "Bathrobe Brigade" in her words.
I agree 100%. According to most accounts, she either got fired or was given the option to quit or get fired because of her "Kryptalorians" as I like to call them. Too bad she didn't get fired for killing Mara Jade. She stepped on a lot of toes and pissed off a lot of fans with that one.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

JimNoonienSoong's Avatar


JimNoonienSoong
05.19.2012 , 12:14 PM | #4
Ah yes, how could I have forgotten her killing of Mara Jade.

Temeluchus's Avatar


Temeluchus
05.19.2012 , 03:20 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by JimNoonienSoong View Post
Who do you believe is the worst writer of the EU? Personally I think it's Karen Traviss. The woman has never read a Star Wars book she hasn't written, she shoves Mandalorians into everything, she thinks that the Jedi are Nazis and frequently gets into flame wars with fans. She always talks about how the Mando's are better than everyone, she has Jaina Solo(Sword of the gosh darn Jedi) go to them for training against Jacen instead of going to her uncle, who had recently just schooled him. Traviss then displays her being beat severely by the mandalorians because of their lightsaber proof armour and ability to disappear from the force(ignoring the fact that Jaina is a veteran of the Yuuzhan Vong war). Then proceeds to imply that the Mandalorians could have easily beaten Caedus and the "Bathrobe Brigade" in her words.
While I agree, I also think her editors and whomever was attached to guide her, check lore, make sure she wasn't going overboard with the lore etc from LA is to blame as well.

I mean people had to have read what she was writing as she wrote it, it's part of the process, and they still went ahead and published it. Then they let her do another book, and another. Even if she refused to let them see anything until she was finished they had the option to kill the project, force her to rewrite, or bring in another author to rewrite parts. When the fanbase got up in arms about Mara Jade, OP Mandos and the like, then they gave her the "quitting or firing" option.

A majority of the blame should fall on her shoulders, but a lot of other heads should have rolled for not quashing the stuff she was writing before it went to print.
"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night.

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
05.19.2012 , 03:27 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
I agree 100%. According to most accounts, she either got fired or was given the option to quit or get fired because of her "Kryptalorians" as I like to call them. Too bad she didn't get fired for killing Mara Jade. She stepped on a lot of toes and pissed off a lot of fans with that one.
Hey now, don't insult Superman. He can be beaten.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.19.2012 , 09:06 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Hey now, don't insult Superman. He can be beaten.
Well, I COULD call them Daxalorians, but Daxamites are vulnerable to any toy from China.

Lead.

Worst. Weakness. Ever.

Especially for a species that otherwise has the exact same powers as Kryptonians.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

TheBentOne's Avatar


TheBentOne
05.19.2012 , 11:11 PM | #8
I think this thread would be more fun if it was titled worst EU writer (Other than Traviss). Because Traviss is the easy choice as #1.

For #2 I'm going to go with KJA, his stories are full of OP things and trying to one up the films and other authors (You have a death star? well I have a SUN CRUSHER. You think thrawn is a genius? Well my admiral is a genius AND A WOMAN!!! You think Luke is strong? Well my jedi student PWNZ HIM IN THE FACE!!! You think the empire is evil? WELL IG-88 WAS THE DEATH STAR AND PLANNED ON DESTROYING ALL ORGANIC LIFE!!!). It reads like a bad fanfic.
I bow to no one and give service only for cause.
- From the Journeyman Protectors oath.

Captain_Zone's Avatar


Captain_Zone
05.19.2012 , 11:18 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBentOne View Post
I think this thread would be more fun if it was titled worst EU writer (Other than Traviss). Because Traviss is the easy choice as #1.

For #2 I'm going to go with KJA, his stories are full of OP things and trying to one up the films and other authors (You have a death star? well I have a SUN CRUSHER. You think thrawn is a genius? Well my admiral is a genius AND A WOMAN!!! You think Luke is strong? Well my jedi student PWNZ HIM IN THE FACE!!! You think the empire is evil? WELL IG-88 WAS THE DEATH STAR AND PLANNED ON DESTROYING ALL ORGANIC LIFE!!!). It reads like a bad fanfic.
To be fair, I like his NON-Star Wars sci-fi. Hell, I even like some of his Star Wars novels. But overall, you're right. He does seem to be Teh Pwnzor on everyone else. He still isn't as bad as Traviss, though.

Now, my vote for #2 is Drew Karpyshyn. I know I'm probably going to take flak for this, but the Revan novel just wasn't that good. *shrug*

Now, if we went for Best, to me it would be a toss-up between Stackpole and Allston. Both X-Wing novelists, and both outstanding. Yes, I KNOW the obvious choice is Zahn, and he comes in a close third.
. OPOD
The New Jedi Code: "Keep Calm & Carry a Lightsaber"

JimNoonienSoong's Avatar


JimNoonienSoong
05.19.2012 , 11:30 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Captain_Zone View Post
To be fair, I like his NON-Star Wars sci-fi. Hell, I even like some of his Star Wars novels. But overall, you're right. He does seem to be Teh Pwnzor on everyone else. He still isn't as bad as Traviss, though.

Now, my vote for #2 is Drew Karpyshyn. I know I'm probably going to take flak for this, but the Revan novel just wasn't that good. *shrug*

Now, if we went for Best, to me it would be a toss-up between Stackpole and Allston. Both X-Wing novelists, and both outstanding. Yes, I KNOW the obvious choice is Zahn, and he comes in a close third.
Personally I think Drew is an amazing writer, true, Revan was crap. But you can't deny his work on Kotor I, II and TOR is pretty damn good.