Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Sniper vs Operative

famekillsu
05.19.2012 , 10:56 AM | #1
I need help picking an advanced class with the best survivability out of the two. I know they are not ment to be tanks but I need a class that has a chance against a suprise attack from an elite npc. Which is the
problem I have with my sorcerer at the moment.

Mutive
05.19.2012 , 05:09 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by famekillsu View Post
I need help picking an advanced class with the best survivability out of the two. I know they are not ment to be tanks but I need a class that has a chance against a suprise attack from an elite npc. Which is the
problem I have with my sorcerer at the moment.
Neither does super well, to be honest.

I think that operatives do a bit better as they both have a stealth get away (an in battle stealth that they can activate before running away) as well as can heal. But honestly, if you get a surprise attack from an elite, either tends to die. Both are kind of squishy classes...

SupernovaRU
05.20.2012 , 07:27 AM | #3
I'm playing both classes right now. Snipers kill things fast. That's your only defense is to kill the enemies as fast as possible. Operatives have a lot of smaller burst damage, and can choose how to engage via stealth. If things are bad, you can activate an insta-stealth move which disengages you from combat. Saved me more than a few times.

Neither class is built for survivability, which is why Kaliyo is a tank. Sniping will let you easily pick the range of your engagements and dish out a ton of damage. You just need to out-dps the enemy.

Tautha
05.20.2012 , 03:28 PM | #4
I think the only one with what you could class as an overwhelming advantage is the
Operative - simply because if you choose to, you can travel everywhere stealthed

On a more serious note, Operatives tend to come out of up close and personal combat
better because that's the way they're meant to fight.

But in the end, it all comes down to circumstance and tactics - there are no absolutes.
Life isn't complicated - people complicate life!

morazor
05.21.2012 , 10:03 PM | #5
A big thing you should take into consideration, is the role you want to play.
The operative is mostly a melee DPS taking enemies from very close up. That is where your stealth comes in.
While a sniper is a ranged DPS. Staying behind lines taking enemies
Me personally I like melee DPS I have both a sorcerer and a Gunslinger and I espically prefer my operative or Jedi knight to both of these.
Just take into consideration how you want I play. Close up or safely away.

Infalliable
05.22.2012 , 06:46 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by famekillsu View Post
I need help picking an advanced class with the best survivability out of the two. I know they are not ment to be tanks but I need a class that has a chance against a suprise attack from an elite npc. Which is the problem I have with my sorcerer at the moment.
Operatives are probably better for "surprise" attack survivability. They're either specced for melee damage or heals, which would work better in that sort of encounter.

Snipers tend to do better at range, but you do have plenty of skills to use to allow you to get away. Flashbang,, run, legshot to root them, cover pulse to knock them away, and debilitate to stun for 4 secs.

Both generally don't have any issues with it though. Most story bosses aren't that hard and you rarely get "ambushed" otherwise. Be aware that many of the story bosses will require (or are easier with) some level of kiting around obstacles to break their channeled skills and the frequent use of interrupts. Play it like you would a PVP match against another player rather than how you fight PVE trash.

Sorcs should be fine whenever they get ambushed. They have the ultimate get away free skill in their 60s whirlwind. You can even talent it to be insta-cast. Just hit that skill when combat starts and take your time to pick off the weaker enemies or set up the fight as you want.

In the end, if you're having trouble with the story fights that start you in combat with an elite, a quick ranged mez should be your first skill used to let you start the fight on your terms. Flashbang for IAs or whirlwind for Sorcs.