Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Are the Sith really Evil?


OldVengeance's Avatar


OldVengeance
05.20.2012 , 02:44 PM | #21
I'd think the ones who murder people and base their lives on anger and greed to the extent Sith do are.

Maaruin's Avatar


Maaruin
05.20.2012 , 04:53 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Mordegrus View Post
Ok, but we are not any different than the Sith.
We are greedy, and when we are very angry, we murder people.
So are we evil?
We restrain ourselves. At least, most of us. Sith do not.

I would say we are, well, partly evil. = sometimes we do evil = sometimes we act like Sith are encouraged to act
"I was one of many. We were servants of the dark side… Sith Lords, we called ourselves. So proud. In the end we were not so proud. We hid… hid from those we had betrayed. We fell… and I knew it would be so."
-Ajunta Pall

Lewisgil's Avatar


Lewisgil
05.21.2012 , 08:28 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by OldVengeance View Post
I'd think the ones who murder people and base their lives on anger and greed to the extent Sith do are.
How about this?

Is it evil for the Beta Wolf to challenge and kill the Alpha male to become the new Alpha?

Is it evil when a male lion challenges and kills the head of the pride to become the new head?

If you answered no to either of those, why is it evil for a Lesser Sith to challenge and kill a higher ranking Sith to take his position? Because Sith have the ability to speak? In all three scenarios there is a build up of tensions and there is a planning phase. All three challengers intend to kill the defender.

If you would like to say they murder people when they conquer planets, people die in war. Nobody is going to give up their home without a fight, some will not give up until you kill them. Conquering planets is essential to establishing an empire.

If you would like to say they murder their subordinates, Sith are the authority, therefore they are judge, jury, and executioner when it comes to meting out disciplinary actions for failures. The Sith act within the bounds of the laws of the Empire. If the Imperials did not want to suffer such fates, they could have chosen a different profession.
NAME: Altonraen
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread | Guild Profile

grandmthethird's Avatar


grandmthethird
05.21.2012 , 08:36 AM | #24
of course the sith are evil, i might have to change my sig to say something like this:

starwars is the ultimate battle between good and evil

if you can't work out which side is good and which is evil then either the writers are doing something really really wrong. or you just arn't that bright
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

Lewisgil's Avatar


Lewisgil
05.21.2012 , 08:59 AM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by grandmthethird View Post
of course the sith are evil, i might have to change my sig to say something like this:

starwars is the ultimate battle between good and evil

if you can't work out which side is good and which is evil then either the writers are doing something really really wrong. or you just arn't that bright
That is avoiding the question entirely. You're going the route of listening to what the author wants. Why not take a look at what you see in the Sith society and formulate your own opinion.

Look at the Sith Ambassadors in the novel Deceived. Or even Malgus, they are examples of Sith born in the Empire that know nothing else. They do not see how things should be any different than what they were raised to believe. They view the Jedi as heretics that pervert the Force just as the Jedi see the Sith. I hate using this as a reference because I really don't like the franchise but, it is like the Alliance and Horde of Warcraft. Neither side is more good or evil than the other. There are just the beliefs that each hold to.
NAME: Altonraen
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread | Guild Profile

grandmthethird's Avatar


grandmthethird
05.21.2012 , 09:51 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Lewisgil View Post
That is avoiding the question entirely. You're going the route of listening to what the author wants. Why not take a look at what you see in the Sith society and formulate your own opinion.

Look at the Sith Ambassadors in the novel Deceived. Or even Malgus, they are examples of Sith born in the Empire that know nothing else. They do not see how things should be any different than what they were raised to believe. They view the Jedi as heretics that pervert the Force just as the Jedi see the Sith. I hate using this as a reference because I really don't like the franchise but, it is like the Alliance and Horde of Warcraft. Neither side is more good or evil than the other. There are just the beliefs that each hold to.
first off it not like the factions in WOW, it really is a battle between good and evil. that is is the whole point of starwars.

second malgus is evil, malgus is uber evil

Spoiler


and as for your comment about not believing everyhing the author has to say, and using my own judgement on this, well, big props for the big lols that gave me. this is not some historical fact that has been bent to suit the winner, this is a made up story. made up by the author, the author who has a very clear idea of what their story should be. we the readers are sposed to get their story, understand it, we are sposed to feel for the characters the author wants us to feel for, we are sposed to hate the ppl the author wants us to hate/ we are sposed to be following the journey the way the author wants us too. if we are not following the rollercoaster of emotions, the way the author has set it out for us, then as i said before, either the author has failed or the person reading just doesn't get it
"Hope has a vicious enemy called fate"

Mordegrus's Avatar


Mordegrus
05.22.2012 , 05:07 PM | #27
The Sith believe that you should get rid of the things you no longer need.
If your pencil splits in half, you would throw it away, would you not?
The Sith get rid of people the same way.
So basically it all depends on perspective.
The Sith don't find murder wrong; the Jedi do.
The way you think what is wrong or right depends on your view of thinking, or it depends on what society you were raised in.
“Equality is a lie…A myth to appease the masses. Simply look around and you will see the lie for what it is! There are those with power, those with the strength and will to lead. And there are those meant to follow—those incapable of anything but servitude and a meager, worthless existence.”

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
05.22.2012 , 05:09 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Mordegrus View Post
The Sith believe that you should get rid of the things you no longer need.
If your pencil splits in half, you would throw it away, would you not?
The Sith get rid of people the same way.
So basically it all depends on perspective.
The Sith don't find murder wrong; the Jedi do.
The way you think what is wrong or right depends on your view of thinking, or it depends on what society you were raised in.
Not a really good analogy the pencil thing, cause why would you waste the lead and eraser? Just because it broke in half, doesn't mean its useless you'd still be able to use it.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Mordegrus's Avatar


Mordegrus
05.22.2012 , 05:33 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by Wolfninjajedi View Post
Not a really good analogy the pencil thing, cause why would you waste the lead and eraser? Just because it broke in half, doesn't mean its useless you'd still be able to use it.
Fine, then what about a burger you can't finish eating, because you are too full.
“Equality is a lie…A myth to appease the masses. Simply look around and you will see the lie for what it is! There are those with power, those with the strength and will to lead. And there are those meant to follow—those incapable of anything but servitude and a meager, worthless existence.”

EnsignSorrow's Avatar


EnsignSorrow
05.22.2012 , 06:15 PM | #30
Was Hitler evil? Same answer. They both have the same agenda. They both commit genocide. Often times Sith attack for no reason other than joy, or personal gain. The Jedi are selfless, and focus on defense. There is no debate here.

The Sith are evil by society standards, and by the personal standard (except if you are a Sith yourself, and often times even then).

Those two standards are the only two standards for declaring something evil by man's current understanding of morality.

Very Important: Balance in the force does not mean half-evil, half-light. That is a very common misunderstanding. It's not canon. It's not lore. Sorry.

I mean it's fine to play a Sith, and be evil, but atleast admit being evil. C'mon now. That could be a psychosis.
"To be Jedi is to face the truth, and choose. Give off light, or darkness, Padawan. Be a candle, or the night, Padawan: but choose!"