Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Need help gearing

iTz_Red
05.18.2012 , 10:53 AM | #1
I have full War Hero Gear and my guild is getting on my back because they think it's not good enough for a normal ops raid. (I'm one of two people in my guild who pvp a lot) I did the comparason and it seems as though War Hero gear is better than the Columi gear and the only way to get the Rakata stuff, from what I've heard, is you have to do the Ops. Unless I'm wrong.

Should I just give up my War Hero gear and just downgrade to the Columi? Or will I still be fine in Normal Ops with my current gear?

Synaesthesia
05.18.2012 , 11:07 AM | #2
I think when I first started doing ops, all I had was orange gear with the mods and stuff bought with daily commendations, and my guild were running Hard Mode ops, though they did run a few Story Mode ones for me to get gear at first. I don't recall any issues because of my gear but it might have been because I was a healer and it didn't matter much that my gear wasn't the best, but it sounds like your gear greatly outstrips what I started to raid in!

You didn't say what class you are, but if your guild is giving you a hard enough time for you to bring this to the forums, then perhaps it's worth just buying the columi gear to quiet them down and hope that you get better from running the ops with them which is comparable to the PvP gear you've already got.
Imperial Agent of Ars Moriendi

konstan
05.18.2012 , 11:21 AM | #3
Every guild, or every raid group, seems to have one guy who, by doing this kind of stuff, adds stress to something that should be a pleasant activity. "You are not geared enough" or "c'mon guys this should be a 20 minutes run, focus everyone" or "***, why are you just standing there like an idiot".

If this guy is an actual raid leader or guild officer or guildmaster, I would consider changing guilds. If he is that anal about normal mode ops, it ain't gonna get better in hardmodes.

And if there is more than just one person like that, well, then see above.
"Good relations with the wookies I have"

iTz_Red
05.18.2012 , 11:29 AM | #4
Thanks guys. We are totally not ready for the HM Ops, but they just want to start running normal ones to get used to them and everyone in the group has columi except me. I'm Sith Assassin DPS spec. I'm mostly a Tank/Dps, specced in Darkness and Madness, but they use me as DPS, which works out fine. Thanks for the info. I might look into changing guilds or see how these ops play out. I already have full War Hero gear and I don't want to have to spend more time grinding the HM's to HOPEFULLY get the gear they want me to get.

CitizenFry
05.18.2012 , 12:36 PM | #5
You (and they) should look at the stats of each item to compare, but in my experience, War Hero gear should be roughly equivalent to Columi gear for PVE purposes. As a Vanguard tank, I actually find WH gear is often better than Rakata gear, because it has more Shield/Absorb in exchange for less Aim/Endurance. YMMV.

konstan
05.18.2012 , 01:06 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by iTz_Red View Post
I don't want to have to spend more time grinding the HM's to HOPEFULLY get the gear they want me to get.
Excepting Denova (which, in my opinion, story mode denova is actually equivalent to a hardmode op), the normal mode ops drop Columi gear.

Which means you would typically gear up in oranges with purple 50s, pick up a few tionese/ columi from hardmode flashpoints, and you are good to go.

If you are all columi, you do not get upgrades from normal more EV/KP. You start hardmode EV. its the easiest hardmode op and it drops rakata armor left, right and center

You farm hardmode EV for a while. You try hardmode KP a couple times.

Then you start normal mode Denova.
"Good relations with the wookies I have"

iTz_Red
05.18.2012 , 01:20 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by konstan View Post
Excepting Denova (which, in my opinion, story mode denova is actually equivalent to a hardmode op), the normal mode ops drop Columi gear.

Which means you would typically gear up in oranges with purple 50s, pick up a few tionese/ columi from hardmode flashpoints, and you are good to go.

If you are all columi, you do not get upgrades from normal more EV/KP. You start hardmode EV. its the easiest hardmode op and it drops rakata armor left, right and center

You farm hardmode EV for a while. You try hardmode KP a couple times.

Then you start normal mode Denova.
This is good to know actually, thanks!

Oggthebase
05.18.2012 , 01:31 PM | #8
the war hero gear armoring has a rating of 146 versus the 126 of columni gear and 116 for tionese gear.

However, in a pvp item, 25% to 30% of the item budget is spent on expertise, meaning that these points are completely useless in a PVE environment.
So from a PVE point of view, war hero gear would be, stats wise, between columni and tionese, and therefore completely relevant for normal mode operations, and to a limited extent, hard mode operations.

Please note that the damage range of your weapon with a rating of 146 (war hero) is vastly superior to columni and tionese. So even with inferior overall pve stats, your damage output may be on par with your guildmates using their columni weapons.

Ideally, you should discuss with your raid leader, and may be bring to the table a combat log against a dummy, so that hard numbers will demonstrate that you're competitive.

On a more psychological note, healers don't like to heal tanks that are using PVP gear, as it feels that they must "pick up the slack" and have to compensante the tank sub-par equipment with more healing, and everyone knows how stressfull healing can be (especially if your guild is starting operations and therefore it's not on farm status).
So yes, as a dps you can probably do operations, but please don't do it as a tank (unless they're really desperate for a tank and the healers are accepting it).

TyeWebb
05.18.2012 , 01:43 PM | #9
I did my 1st HM Ops on my Shadow in full Battlemaster gear and it was fine, so if you have War Hero you are good to go. As a DPS Shadow it appeared to to me that Columi gear was just slightly better than Battlemaster for PVE, so War Hero should at least be on par.

If your group is in full Columi already you should really be doing HM Ops, the drops in normal modes won't do anything for you, it will all just be more Columi which you already have. However if you have never run them, it would be a good idea to run the normal modes once just to learn the fights.

The one thing I would suggest, you should be doing the daily quests on Belsavis, Ilum, and Black Hole to get the daily comms. Save these up so you can get your Rakata earpiece and implants or a better relic. Those Rakata pieces should be better than your War Hero pieces in those slots.

Kaisies
05.18.2012 , 04:43 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by iTz_Red View Post
I have full War Hero Gear and my guild is getting on my back because they think it's not good enough for a normal ops raid. (I'm one of two people in my guild who pvp a lot) I did the comparason and it seems as though War Hero gear is better than the Columi gear and the only way to get the Rakata stuff, from what I've heard, is you have to do the Ops. Unless I'm wrong.

Should I just give up my War Hero gear and just downgrade to the Columi? Or will I still be fine in Normal Ops with my current gear?
speaking as someone who has cleared every ops every difficulty, there is no reason that you should have a hard time keeping on par DPS with full war hero vs someone who has full columni. Unless your rotation sucks or you're skilled out terribly, you'll do just fine. I'd even say you'd do fine in full war hero in hard mode EV; KP would be a slight challenge.

that said, assassin DPS has been shown to be one of the worst (ops is better with perfect rotation, would be worse with a poor/sloppy rotation) so prepare for that.