Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercenary PVP: When BW will buff?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
Mercenary PVP: When BW will buff?

T-Assassin
05.20.2012 , 01:01 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by TheNinjaboy View Post
You play on a non-competitive, dead server, that has horrid bad players.

You can pretty much go AFK and get those numbers in that situation.

Mercs are the worst class in the game.
that was not always the case...these last 2 weeks, sure...

prior to that, there are many fine PvP'r on MZL.

but, as of this moment, i cannot refute your statement.

i can refute merc being the worst class in the game. i play a merc, and i'm easily top 5 pvp'r on the server.

given a good team, and a dedicated healer, i'm unstoppable.
"Ib'tuur jatne tuur ash'ad kyr'amur."
"Today is a good day for someone else to die." -

Macroecon
05.20.2012 , 03:06 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post
i can refute merc being the worst class in the game. i play a merc, and i'm easily top 5 pvp'r on the server.
You just don't get it. Which isn't surprising, because BW looks at and evaluates class (im)balance in basically the same way. But the existence of a high scoring Merc does not imply that Mercs are fine. This has been explained to you before. Repeatedly. So at this point I will simply turn your observation on its head - if Mercs are so great, why are they one of the least frequently chosen advanced classes for rerolls?

TheNinjaboy
05.20.2012 , 05:59 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by T-Assassin View Post
that was not always the case...these last 2 weeks, sure...

prior to that, there are many fine PvP'r on MZL.

but, as of this moment, i cannot refute your statement.

given a good team, and a dedicated healer, i'm unstoppable.

You can't refute merc being the worse class in the game. See the link in my tagline.

Being in the top 5 on a server with 5 people is meaningless.

MZL was never a good server.

Fraps yourself playing against a decent team on Fatman so we can all LOL at how fast you get obliterated by any other player with half a brain using another AC.

There's your challenge.

You can't do it because your statement is not true and your opinion is delusional at best.

Agooz
05.20.2012 , 07:30 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Macroecon View Post
You just don't get it. Which isn't surprising, because BW looks at and evaluates class (im)balance in basically the same way.
Well thank god they are not balancing classes based on 1v1 scenarios. But really, where were you guys pre 1.2 when Mercs/Commandos were clearly FOTM and OP? You're saying you went from OP to Unplayable in one patch?!
Were Mercs toned down? Yes, maybe even in the wrong way. But no way in hell you or anyone else here can convince me or the Devs that they are unplayable.

But the existence of a high scoring Merc does not imply that Mercs are fine. This has been explained to you before. Repeatedly. So at this point I will simply turn your observation on its head - if Mercs are so great, why are they one of the least frequently chosen advanced classes for rerolls?
Really, where did you pull that statistic from? show me proof. But it is clearly that the majority of the complainers are just missing the easy 2-3button spam and just cant cope with actually maximizing the advantages of a ranged dps.

Macroecon
05.21.2012 , 01:16 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Agooz View Post
Well thank god they are not balancing classes based on 1v1 scenarios. But really, where were you guys pre 1.2 when Mercs/Commandos were clearly FOTM and OP?
And what planet did you come from? Even with 1.1.5 it was obvious that Mara/Sent for example had distinct advantages in team utility, survivability and dps over Merc/Commando. Which is why everyone was so stunned when it was indicated that Mara/Sent would be buffed in 1.2.

Really, where did you pull that statistic from? show me proof.
Just look at the population distribution on starter planets. From The Fatman server, literally 5 min ago: 15 Bounty Hunters on Hutta. 62 Sith Warriors and Inquisitors on Korriban. And I'd wager at least half of those Bounty Hunters are destined for Powertech, not Mercenary.

sly_swg
05.21.2012 , 06:33 AM | #36
I respectfully request the devs IGNORE the QQ'ing pvp kiddes and stop destroying class balance by changing game mechanics for a bunch of whiners....

TYVM

Agooz
05.21.2012 , 07:13 AM | #37
And what planet did you come from? Even with 1.1.5 it was obvious that Mara/Sent for example had distinct advantages in team utility, survivability and dps over Merc/Commando. Which is why everyone was so stunned when it was indicated that Mara/Sent would be buffed in 1.2.
I come from the planet where people are rolling Sent/Marau and Assassins because they are the only 2 ACs that didnt get toned downed, not because Mercs are unplayable. It is very obviously that the majority of Merc players are the one who rush after the next FOTM. Hec DPS Operatives got nerfed alot worse than Mercs and I still wouldnt say they are unplayable.

Just look at the population distribution on starter planets. From The Fatman server, literally 5 min ago: 15 Bounty Hunters on Hutta. 62 Sith Warriors and Inquisitors on Korriban. And I'd wager at least half of those Bounty Hunters are destined for Powertech, not Mercenary.
NOTHING has changed since launch. The vast majority of players roll force users. Only now there is an influx for Sent/Maura. And I would wager that there are still more Merc than PTs, even with the 1.2 changes. But wagering, and making assumptions like yours, dont make statements anymore factual.

Choffware
05.21.2012 , 08:08 AM | #38
@ T-assassin

I just don't get it. Those numbers are insane. I'm a solid pvp'er I'm good at any class. Not great not the best just solid.

I can't come close to those numbers and in fact I'll say I haven't seen ANYONE of any class EVER come close to those numbers where someone is over 500k damage and more than 20 better kills than everyone else and almost no deaths.

There is something that is simply not normal about your situation (not trying to flame you I'm assuming your being honest)

Either you are one of the best pvp players in the game (not being sarcastic)
You found a rotation or special moves that no one else has.
or you found a consumable or buff that no one else has.
or people you play against have zero expertise gear on.

I play on the harbinger the pvp is pretty competitive. I'd say the average player is pvping with 20-23% pvp bonus damage and 16-18% bonus damage mitigation. (i'm at 23.6 and 18 respectively) I've been in matches where I've been up almost 100% of the time and able to just tee off on healers and casters at range going though full rotations cleanly. I still average 300K. I don't use any adrenals or stims (i should but I don't) so I don't expect to be the top dps but near the top. I'm usually 1 2 or 3. The top players are usually within 100k of me. Never seen anyone go over 500k So something just isn't typical or normal in your case
Mantorin 55 Marauder || Choff lvl 55 Merc || Chof lvl 51 Sorc

Ismercu
05.21.2012 , 08:14 AM | #39
Arsenal Merc was never a good 1v1 spec, imo Arsenal needs a complete revamp. A skilled Pyro can still make Merc a very good class imo.

Macroecon
05.21.2012 , 08:32 AM | #40
Hec (sic) DPS Operatives got nerfed alot worse than Mercs and I still wouldnt say they are unplayable.
Being "unplayable" is a horribly low hurdle for assessing game (im)balance. By that standard, if Mara/Sent was buffed by another 15%, all the other classes would still remain "playable" and everything would be fine. Everything is not fine. Moreover your standard of "playable" becomes a shifting standard once ranked warzones arrive. For competitive PvP players, a class becomes "unplayable" if it Pareto inferior to another class. It doesn't matter if it is by only 10%. And it will be very evident that this is the case when you examine ranked warzone rankings.

NOTHING has changed since launch. The vast majority of players roll force users. Only now there is an influx for Sent/Maura....But wagering, and making assumptions like yours, dont make statements anymore factual.
EVERYTHING has changed since launch. Most importantly the loss of 50% of those purchased the game who no longer subscribe to it. You can keep your head in the sand, but those FACTS aren't going away. Lack of attention to those mere details simply dooms this game.

The poor state of PvP in ToR is one of the main reasons subscribers have left. There is really nothing to do in ToR post 50 other than PvP. 3 operations (which until recently were on a weekly timer) is simply not enough to keep people occupied.