Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

what is to be done about non-english on english servers?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
what is to be done about non-english on english servers?

Farrokhan
12.19.2011 , 06:22 AM | #21
There's 50 European countries and over 60 servers. Not discounting the countries that share the same language (not asking Bioware to do like 30 x Voice Acting)

You could go as far as having one per nation andd a few extra for the larger number of speakers. A few for the non xenophobes An some pure RP ones. And everyone's happy.

Want your own language? You're fine. don't care or like many other MMO players have made friends from around the world? You're fine. Want to speak in Shyriiwook, you're fine.

Just need someone to enforce it. Oh look, Bioware have a pile of money they just made, isn't that handy?

naitee
12.19.2011 , 06:25 AM | #22
There are jerks in all languages..

But in general we need keep the respect with other. Don't matter the nacionality.

I'm brazilian and don't talk in portuguese in chat. Why? Because I respect the others. I try to help, I laugh, I ask for help in chat in english (or engrish sometimes lol) and none apparently noticed.

Please, try do not generalize.

Allowing people to make a channel is the best alternative. This is a worldwide game. There are Star Wars fans around the world.

I pay, I respect, I communicate and don't want to be judged or segregated because my country.
~User with poor english lol

Naitress - Sith Marauder

islander
12.19.2011 , 09:26 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by naitee View Post
There are jerks in all languages..

But in general we need keep the respect with other. Don't matter the nacionality.

I'm brazilian and don't talk in portuguese in chat. Why? Because I respect the others. I try to help, I laugh, I ask for help in chat in english (or engrish sometimes lol) and none apparently noticed.

Please, try do not generalize.

Allowing people to make a channel is the best alternative. This is a worldwide game. There are Star Wars fans around the world.

I pay, I respect, I communicate and don't want to be judged or segregated because my country.
You know what, generalizing is accurate because we've seen it in WoW. Is it fair to everyone? No.

You know what else, I completely agree with your bolded suggestion. Even going as far back as MUDs, there were options to create foreign language channels - or a custom channel. There's no reason foreign language speakers shouldn't be able to do so in their own channel.

I mean why would that affect my gameplay at all? Outside of maybe having to pug with some that don't speak English at all, I mean that's it.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

TempestGamer
12.19.2011 , 10:33 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by necrotura View Post
Hello

my question is :

on the EU English servers we have a problem of people not speaking English and thinking it is their right not to speak English on a clearly marked ENGLISH server.

i don't mind a bit here and there but when general is spammed full with it,well its just down right disrespectful

so Bio, what are the plans to combat this problem ?
I find this extremely odd given that we are playing a video game with sentiant creatures all talking different in game languages. What would you do if the subtitles disappeared?
But really if on RP servers in general chat they put up with massively NON-RP topics, all under the fact that this is the GENERAL channel. Then I see no reason why 'NET Neutrality' shouldn't be given grace here as well.
That or learn another language and apprecate something beyond your own borders, and eating at taco bell does not count.
“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no substitute for a good blaster at your side”

gullfisk
12.19.2011 , 10:54 AM | #25
The "English" tag means the voices and text is in English.
It does not mean that people are required to write in English.

Rygho
12.19.2011 , 11:15 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by gullfisk View Post
The "English" tag means the voices and text is in English.
It does not mean that people are required to write in English.
This.

The other options are French and German. Where else would people from the other 40-odd European countries roll their toons?

naitee
12.19.2011 , 11:33 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by islander View Post
You know what, generalizing is accurate because we've seen it in WoW. Is it fair to everyone? No.

You know what else, I completely agree with your bolded suggestion. Even going as far back as MUDs, there were options to create foreign language channels - or a custom channel. There's no reason foreign language speakers shouldn't be able to do so in their own channel.

I mean why would that affect my gameplay at all? Outside of maybe having to pug with some that don't speak English at all, I mean that's it.
I played in Warsong, and I can tell, a lot of brazilians didn't liked the amount of rude br players there.

But Swtor has a trump card, people that don't know english will quit in a few weeks whining how bad this game is...

Remember, this is not WoW.

Btw, WoW opened a 100% portuguese server with free transfers, then people you are afraid will not come as you think
~User with poor english lol

Naitress - Sith Marauder

amnie
12.19.2011 , 12:09 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Rygho View Post
This.

The other options are French and German. Where else would people from the other 40-odd European countries roll their toons?
geht klar. kannst du haben

is eh viel lustiger wenn man versucht herauszufinden, was der/die andere gerade gesagt hat :P

islander
12.19.2011 , 12:36 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by naitee View Post
I played in Warsong, and I can tell, a lot of brazilians didn't liked the amount of rude br players there.

But Swtor has a trump card, people that don't know english will quit in a few weeks whining how bad this game is...

Remember, this is not WoW.

Btw, WoW opened a 100% portuguese server with free transfers, then people you are afraid will not come as you think
I know about the Portugeuse server actually. I think that's something the Live Services team should look into in the near future. Not just Portugeuse, but French (for Quebec), Spanish, etc.
They could easily add more servers - although I suspect coordinating the transfers would be way too much to ask 'right now'.
Gėllies Erimosi, Imperial Deadeye
<Hex> Prophecy of the Five

Solaufein
12.19.2011 , 12:38 PM | #30
Moderation.

That's the key.

What is absolutely reasonable is for an (e.g.) Polish speaker to post a quick message in /1 General. Perhaps LF other Polish speaking players to group with. Why shouldn't that happen?

What's unreasonable, and grossly impolite, is to have continue a conversation in general in a language other than English - in full knowledge that 90%+ won't have a clue what they're on about.

Having said that spamming of any sort in General is rude and obnoxious. I'm not sure I find foreign language any more offensive than the Anal <insert item link here> nonsense that went on in WoW.

Just out of interest: excuse my ignorance here. Do non-English speaking Europeans choose the English servers for a particular reason. Or does the same happen on German MMO realms, for example?