what is to be done about non-english on english servers?

necrotura

Hello

my question is :

on the EU English servers we have a problem of people not speaking English and thinking it is their right not to speak English on a clearly marked ENGLISH server.

i don't mind a bit here and there but when general is spammed full with it,well its just down right disrespectful

so Bio, what are the plans to combat this problem ?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see only 3 ways of solving this...

1) BW puts notes next to server names that says which community should concentrate on that server

2) set up new servers for specific languages

3) allow character transfer soon

Imagine if you are for example from Poland and you bought the game...and you dont speak English that well. There are no Polish servers so you pretty much have to choose English/German/French and sometimes ask in your native language.

Believe me we would like to stay with our comunity...but we dont know what servers that might be and you cant expect everyone to search forums/twitter for that info.

Hope that clarifies the view of the other side of this problem.

gl and hf ;)

If the game is sold in a country that speaks a language different to the supported language servers, then I understand why they come to an English server. I can sympathise and Bioware needs to do something about it.

If the game isn't sold in that country and doesn't support the language then its upto the players to keep the chat in private.

While i somewhat understand problem if theres widespread spam in foreign languages i do think its really silly to start demanding action against most who might happen to use their native language

you dont loudly demand foreigners to speak english if you hear such in real world or do you?

diversity is good and should be respected not hated

Hello

my question is :

on the EU English servers we have a problem of people not speaking English and thinking it is their right not to speak English on a clearly marked ENGLISH server.

i don't mind a bit here and there but when general is spammed full with it,well its just down right disrespectful

Tell them to create their own channel.

Edited by Meluna
content

Hello

my question is :

permabans

While i somewhat understand problem if theres widespread spam in foreign languages i do think its really silly to start demanding action against most who might happen to use their native language

you dont loudly demand foreigners to speak english if you hear such in real world or do you?

diversity is good and should be respected not hated

this

If it really disturbs you it is up to you, and not bioware to do something about it. Create your own channel or ignore them, they are paying customers and have just as much a right to inhabit this virtual world as you do. Until they have a server created for their native language just learn to deal with it.

what i find down right ignorant is the way these KIDS talk 2 ppl in general chat when sum1 types in a diff language....being hateful and verbally abusive to sum1 just cus thery dont speak english is absolutly dissrespectful...last i checked "Tomb of Freedom nadd" server is a european server and europe isnt all english...so who do these kids think they are talking to?

if u dont like the language being typed on general which is a PUBLIC chat then disable it or log off...cus we dont want ignorant kiddies spamming the chat with the usual "ENGLISH PLS OR ****"...and then the non english speaking person apoligises...dont apoligies..its your right to be w/e nationality u are and speak w/e language u speak...pay no mind to the ignorant kids..they should go back to WoW or wherever they feel that behavior is acceptable :)

***Rant over*** ***respect & equality for all***

QQmOaR

Hello

my question is :

The game has people from around europe, from many countrys and cultures. As you ingore most "LFG" and general talk chats, you should do the same when you see non-english words. The servers weren´t ment to be only english french or german. They are for everybody. So you should only be mad if they mass spam general chat or something cause if you are on a group, and everybody speaks another language, you have to accept it. If you don´t want to accept that, find another group, simple. Now enought with that nacionalist talk.

Hello

my question is :

Do what I did - bail on the server.

Boo on Bioware for making this awful assumption that "North America", "Central America, and "South America" all belonged on the same grouping of servers, though.

All arguments are good and dandy on both sides but what I don't understand is this:

How the hell do you play a story centered game in a language you don't understand?

P.S. Do you try each skill to figure out what it does if you do not understand it's description?

what i find down right ignorant is the way these KIDS talk 2 ppl in general chat when sum1 types in a diff language....being hateful and verbally abusive to sum1 just cus thery dont speak english is absolutly dissrespectful...last i checked "Tomb of Freedom nadd" server is a european server and europe isnt all english...so who do these kids think they are talking to?

if u dont like the language being typed on general which is a PUBLIC chat then disable it or log off...cus we dont want ignorant kiddies spamming the chat with the usual "ENGLISH PLS OR ****"...and then the non english speaking person apoligises...dont apoligies..its your right to be w/e nationality u are and speak w/e language u speak...pay no mind to the ignorant kids..they should go back to WoW or wherever they feel that behavior is acceptable :)

QQmOaR

I might give a crap about this post if I felt it was actually literate in the English language.

QQmOaR

I'm not even sure what language this is

I ended up rerolling from Nightmare Lands after finding out a 500 person russian guild would call it home as well. No problem with that, but when the general chat is constantly full of gibberish it stops being fun. There's limits to ones ignore list too I reckon :p

Good thing I didnt make it further than lvl 12 or something.

Dont understand how people can be so rude that they dont even realize their behavior and attitude is utter poops.

There's 50 European countries and over 60 servers. Not discounting the countries that share the same language (not asking Bioware to do like 30 x Voice Acting)

You could go as far as having one per nation andd a few extra for the larger number of speakers. A few for the non xenophobes :p An some pure RP ones. And everyone's happy.

Want your own language? You're fine. don't care or like many other MMO players have made friends from around the world? You're fine. Want to speak in Shyriiwook, you're fine.

Just need someone to enforce it. Oh look, Bioware have a pile of money they just made, isn't that handy?

Edited by Farrokhan

There are jerks in all languages..

But in general we need keep the respect with other. Don't matter the nacionality.

I'm brazilian and don't talk in portuguese in chat. Why? Because I respect the others. I try to help, I laugh, I ask for help in chat in english (or engrish sometimes lol) and none apparently noticed.

Please, try do not generalize.

Allowing people to make a channel is the best alternative. This is a worldwide game. There are Star Wars fans around the world.

I pay, I respect, I communicate and don't want to be judged or segregated because my country.

There are jerks in all languages..

But in general we need keep the respect with other. Don't matter the nacionality.

I'm brazilian and don't talk in portuguese in chat. Why? Because I respect the others. I try to help, I laugh, I ask for help in chat in english (or engrish sometimes lol) and none apparently noticed.

Please, try do not generalize.

Allowing people to make a channel is the best alternative. This is a worldwide game. There are Star Wars fans around the world.

I pay, I respect, I communicate and don't want to be judged or segregated because my country.

You know what, generalizing is accurate because we've seen it in WoW. Is it fair to everyone? No.

You know what else, I completely agree with your bolded suggestion. Even going as far back as MUDs, there were options to create foreign language channels - or a custom channel. There's no reason foreign language speakers shouldn't be able to do so in their own channel.

I mean why would that affect my gameplay at all? Outside of maybe having to pug with some that don't speak English at all, I mean that's it.

Edited by islander

Hello

my question is :

I find this extremely odd given that we are playing a video game with sentiant creatures all talking different in game languages. What would you do if the subtitles disappeared?

But really if on RP servers in general chat they put up with massively NON-RP topics, all under the fact that this is the GENERAL channel. Then I see no reason why 'NET Neutrality' shouldn't be given grace here as well.

That or learn another language and apprecate something beyond your own borders, and eating at taco bell does not count.