Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Power of the Dark Side

Theandul
05.16.2012 , 02:09 PM | #1
I believe that the Dark Side of the Force grows weaker the more an individual uses it. Look at the fights, even in just the movies. Luke defeats Darth Vader after he becomes angry, despite Vader being far more skilled than he is. In the prequels, Darth Maul is defeated by a far less skilled Obi-Wan after he kills Qui-Gon. Anakin takes down Count Dooku while angry (correct me if I'm wrong there, I haven't seen that movie in years).

It seems that the most powerful Force-User in a fight would be someone who used the Light Side of the Force, except for in desperate circumstances.

Wolfninjajedi
05.16.2012 , 02:17 PM | #2
While true, its perhaps more surprise then anything else. Look at the fights, all the opponents were either surprised or completely taken off guard. Obi-Wan didn't really use the dark side all the way through though, when he was dangling he calmed himself and focused his thoughts but before ya he caught Maul by surprise.

So its more surprise really for the opponents, because their fighting against someone who isn't suppose to use their anger as a weapon.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Slowpokeking
05.16.2012 , 02:25 PM | #3
That's not the most amazing part of the Dark Side.

Quote:
Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise, he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create...life. He had such a knowledge of the Dark Side, he could even keep the ones he cared about...from dying.

Tuscad
05.16.2012 , 03:23 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Theandul View Post
I believe that the Dark Side of the Force grows weaker the more an individual uses it. Look at the fights, even in just the movies. Luke defeats Darth Vader after he becomes angry, despite Vader being far more skilled than he is. In the prequels, Darth Maul is defeated by a far less skilled Obi-Wan after he kills Qui-Gon. Anakin takes down Count Dooku while angry (correct me if I'm wrong there, I haven't seen that movie in years).

It seems that the most powerful Force-User in a fight would be someone who used the Light Side of the Force, except for in desperate circumstances.
I agree with Wolf about it being mostly suprise however I could definitely see the individual becoming weaker the more they use the dark side, I would think that using something that is evil would come with a cost, in the end I don't know.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade

Darth_Solrac
05.16.2012 , 04:45 PM | #5
The OP is quite the noob fail. The Dark Side feeds heavily of a user's hate, passion, etc. These emotions tend to make a person more powerful (think how that causes your adrenaline to flow IRL), gives them raw power. For a Force user, it gives them much more raw, & Force power.

Anakin called on the DS to finally get revenge on & kill Tyrannus. It's also how he was able to last as long as he did against Kenobi. Period.

Anakin woulda lost both fights BADLY, if not for the DS. If a user became weaker the more they used the DS, Sidious simply, obviously wouldn't have been able to accomplish what he did.
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Lewisgil
05.16.2012 , 11:10 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Darth_Solrac View Post
The OP is quite the noob fail. The Dark Side feeds heavily of a user's hate, passion, etc. These emotions tend to make a person more powerful (think how that causes your adrenaline to flow IRL), gives them raw power. For a Force user, it gives them much more raw, & Force power.

Anakin called on the DS to finally get revenge on & kill Tyrannus. It's also how he was able to last as long as he did against Kenobi. Period.

Anakin woulda lost both fights BADLY, if not for the DS. If a user became weaker the more they used the DS, Sidious simply, obviously wouldn't have been able to accomplish what he did.
Even more fail.

I will get to this epic fail in a moment. To answer the OP first.

It is not the Dark Side itself that grows weak over time, it is the body of the user. Not as quickly as you seem to think it does though. It takes years of use to degrade the body in the manner which you described.

Maul lost to Obi-Wan because he was cocky, pure and simple. He figured he beat the Master, he had nothing to worry about from the Padawan. He got careless and was bifurcated in response.

Anakin defeated Dooku because he was just better, there was nothing else to it. His powers grew in the three years since their last duel and his Saber Form was the perfect answer to Dooku's. Dejem-So took the defense of Soresu and married it to the offense of Makashi while adding a lot of physical strength which allowed Anakin to overpower Dooku.

Luke defeated Vader from natural ability. He instinctively knew how to use Dejem-So. His power had grown to the point where he was on the same level as Vader. Vader was not expecting his untrained son to be able to fight him on his own level.

Now, back to the quoted fail above.

Yes, the Dark Side feeds off of those emotions, and yes they empower the wielder but, not without cost. The Jedi are aware of this. That is why they preach on about not giving in to your emotions. If you are not careful, you become like a beast of rage, acting on pure instinct. There is a lack of self control when one uses the Dark Side. Neither side is capable of attaining more power than the other, the Dark Side just gives you access to this power at a quicker rate because you are feeding it your emotions.
NAME: Altonraen
PAXIMPERIUS
Website | Recruitment Thread | Guild Profile

Slowpokeking
05.16.2012 , 11:34 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Lewisgil View Post
Even more fail.

I will get to this epic fail in a moment. To answer the OP first.

It is not the Dark Side itself that grows weak over time, it is the body of the user. Not as quickly as you seem to think it does though. It takes years of use to degrade the body in the manner which you described.

Maul lost to Obi-Wan because he was cocky, pure and simple. He figured he beat the Master, he had nothing to worry about from the Padawan. He got careless and was bifurcated in response.

Anakin defeated Dooku because he was just better, there was nothing else to it. His powers grew in the three years since their last duel and his Saber Form was the perfect answer to Dooku's. Dejem-So took the defense of Soresu and married it to the offense of Makashi while adding a lot of physical strength which allowed Anakin to overpower Dooku.

Luke defeated Vader from natural ability. He instinctively knew how to use Dejem-So. His power had grown to the point where he was on the same level as Vader. Vader was not expecting his untrained son to be able to fight him on his own level.

Yes, the Dark Side feeds off of those emotions, and yes they empower the wielder but, not without cost. The Jedi are aware of this. That is why they preach on about not giving in to your emotions. If you are not careful, you become like a beast of rage, acting on pure instinct. There is a lack of self control when one uses the Dark Side. Neither side is capable of attaining more power than the other, the Dark Side just gives you access to this power at a quicker rate because you are feeding it your emotions.
That's why Plagueis was so great.

Darth_Solrac
05.17.2012 , 01:19 PM | #8
Lewisgil wrote:

Quote:
Even more fail.
I agree. You shoulda shelved this epic fail of yours. I will probably enjoy this....

Quote:
Anakin defeated Dooku because he was just better,
The fail is....so strong in this one. Dooku was a revered master duelist while still apart of the Jedi Order. He pwned his former Padawan (ANAKIN'S MASTER) TWICE. Simple, obvious (to everyone but you apparently) logic says that Tyrannus was more skilled in that area. Was also obvious from the expressions of sheer hate on Anakin's face that he was calling on the DS majorly. So yes, THAT is the reason he beat Tyrannus.

Quote:
there was nothing else to it.
First time watching the prequels huh....

Quote:
His powers grew in the three years since their last duel and his Saber Form was the perfect answer to Dooku's. Dejem-So took the defense of Soresu and married it to the offense of Makashi while adding a lot of physical strength which allowed Anakin to overpower Dooku.
Form II allowed an initiate to defend himself against an opponent with minimal effort, while placing a heavy focus on avoiding disarmament.

Makashi was described as elegant and focused, and was based on balance and footwork to outmaneuver opponents. Fluidity and economy of motion were relied on, rather than strength, with Form II bladework heavily utilizing jabs and light cuts rather than hack and slash movements.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Form_II%3A_Makashi

Makashi IS A PRIMARILY DEFENSIVE FORM. You failing noob.

Quote:
I believe I've already quite sufficiently addressed yours.

Quote:
Yes, the Dark Side feeds off of those emotions,
A helpful hint for ya for next time. When claiming to deal with my 'fail' (LOL) it helps NOT TO AGREE with me immediately.....

I did indeed enjoy that.

Try again?
Nobody expects the Sith Inquisition!
Guild: Imperial Army.
Darth (Markos) Solrac: LV 50, Dark Sith Sorcerer.
Draykos Solrac: LV 29, Dark grey Jedi Guardian.

Slowpokeking
05.17.2012 , 01:36 PM | #9
Makashi is a balanced form.

Tuscad
05.17.2012 , 01:38 PM | #10
George Lucas stated that Anakin Skywalker had the potential to be the most powerful force user of all time had he not ended up becoming Vader and going into the suit. If this is the case he should have been able to beat Dooku without using the darkside, maybe not at the time he did it in episode 3 but he would have eventually, especially if the Force was with him.
Date Joined: March 2009 - Date unsubbed: 9/18/2012
It's been real but the game just wasn't worth the sub for me anymore.
Star Wars: First Assault is an Xbox Live Arcade game: http://kotaku.com/5948064/um-whats-t...ox-live-arcade